2D Shooters Invade
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Crimzon Clover)

by noiseredux Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:11 am

mjmjr25 wrote:At that moment I thought, "Dang it, this is a pretty damn good game. Do I let Dave know?" Well, I guess I did. Nice pick, Dave.

wrong thread?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=41331&hilit=i+love+you+man
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 am

Cool thread, i'll check it out.

You want me to send you my copy? I don't think I need it to keep playing?
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:19 am

I guess Type Z is slightly overpowered compared to the other ships. :wink:

My main aim is to actually clear Original with it (just to say that I've beaten it) then work on my Type I score after that. I might even try Unlimited Mode. What I've seen of it so far seems completely nuts.

I really like some of the music. The Stage 4 boss theme is, as I believe the kids these days might refer to it, a proper bangin' tune.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:04 am

mjmjr25 wrote:I'll formally get on board that this was a good pick. I'm enjoying this game now that i'm taking the time to understand it better. I find the music a bit repetitive, stages a bit longer and bossfights much longer than I like, but the gameplay and bullet patterns are excellent. There is enough depth with the lock on system, the chaining, the multipliers, the bomb-meter / break meter that it will grab me for a bit, so i'm pleased and surprised. At that moment I thought, "Dang it, this is a pretty damn good game. Do I let Dave know?" Well, I guess I did. Nice pick, Dave.

Seconded. There's a whole lot of awesome in here. I enjoy the music, Stage 2 reminds me of the first stage in Grid Seeker, and that's not a bad thing. As the game says, Decide for yourself.

You don't need the disc to play once you install it.

That video DH linked too seems perfectly legitimate for a good score in Stage 1 -- I'll have to try and replicate that.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
jepjepjep
24-bit

by jepjepjep Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 pm

I gave this game a run this afternoon. It's my first time playing a doujin. The quality of the game is great and it has pretty cool mechanics.

How many stages are there? I died at the St 5 boss.

jepjepjep - 42,909,040 - Stage 5 - Simple
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:20 pm

jepjepjep wrote:I gave this game a run this afternoon. It's my first time playing a doujin. The quality of the game is great and it has pretty cool mechanics.

There's a TLB after that one, but that's it. You were almost at the end.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I was wondering the same thing - once I figure out the stage 2 bosses launch attacks better and the stage 3 bosses 2nd form better, I should clear. Both my 3rd and 4th runs were to the stage 5 boss, but didn't get any runs in today.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:I was wondering the same thing - once I figure out the stage 2 bosses launch attacks better and the stage 3 bosses 2nd form better, I should clear. Both my 3rd and 4th runs were to the stage 5 boss, but didn't get any runs in today.

The last form of the Stage 5 Boss and TLB are easily the hardest parts of Simple Mode. The trick (for me) is not dying stupid deaths along the way so that I have a healthy amount of ships in reserve for that last section. I think I'll have some time this week to get the clear in, but I might also unlock those parts from the shop to practice a bit first.

It is worth mentioning that the shop is one of the coolest parts of the game. The first time I beat the game on Original mode was with money I'd earned to purchase credits from the shop. The game rewards you for playing well and for just sinking time in by giving you money so that you can buy credits (for an increasing cost per credit) in a way that I've never really seen in another shmup - it combines some of what I like about Lords of Thunder's item shop with some of what I like about Treasure's credit awarding system in games like Ikaruga and Gradius V. The option to buy credits doesn't matter if you are going for a 1CC (on a game abbreviated "CC" - so a 1CCCC?), but then you can use that money to instead purchase stages/bosses to practice and improve your skills. The shop really is a key part of what makes the game one I recommended because it offers a scalable challenge that gives you a sense of accomplishment for beating the game in any fashion (even using credits) since you can't ever "simply" credit feed to the end. You have to earn those continues.
jepjepjep
24-bit

by jepjepjep Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:51 pm

dsheinem wrote:
jepjepjep wrote:I gave this game a run this afternoon. It's my first time playing a doujin. The quality of the game is great and it has pretty cool mechanics.

There's a TLB after that one, but that's it. You were almost at the end.

I had a feeling that was the last level because of the way the difficulty ramped up. I went into the level with four lives and thought I was in good shape. The joke was on me. :lol:

As a side note, I'm running is on a mac with wine (Wineskin Winery) and it's working great. It was pretty easy to set up too. It even recognizes my usb pad automatically. :D
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 am

OK, been trying out all the ships and modes, so here are some scores to aim for...

SIMPLE MODE

DocHauser - 98,133,540 - ALL CLEAR!! - Type I

DocHauser - 93,470,300 - ALL CLEAR!! - Type II

DocHauser - 119,610,800 - ALL CLEAR!! - Type Z
Return to Shmups