2D Shooters Invade
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Crimzon Clover)

by dsheinem Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 pm

SIMPLE MODE

dsheinem - 42,637,630 - Stage 5 Boss - Type I

I forgot about this fucker's stupid bounce attack. One of my least favorite attacks in any shmup. Grrr :x

I might have had enough for today. I'll try for the ALL sometime soon...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just looked at the first page of this thread!

Well done, ExedExes, well done.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:36 pm

dsheinem wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just looked at the first page of this thread!

Well done, ExedExes, well done.

Ahhhh, so now you see all the good stuff I dug up on this game. That's why I do what I do!

New score too on Original Mode -- doubled up the old one! I hit Double Break Mode at 4 critical points to do so much better, including clearing the Stage 2 miniboss just as it ran out. I saved that replay file too :lol:

ExedExes - 12,310,136,120 - Stage 3 - x4632 - Stage 3 - Type I
You may have also noticed at name entry that you gain additional item points for entering each letter where the cursor is over an enemy, and even more when you hit End, wait for a lot of enemies on screen!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm

So, someone (preferrably Doc :wink: ) explain scoring and chaining?

Is one way better to kill and chain (reg shot v target shot)?

When in Breakout Mode, should I use reg shot or target shot? Is there anything else I should be doing in Breakout Mode other than shooting?

Simple mode i'm at 8 mil on second run, Org. Mode i'm at 1.5 bil second run, no clue what i'm doing to score at this point though?

Last question - is there a reason I wouldn't grab the 1up after the first boss?
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:39 pm

In Original Mode, the main aim is to get your Break Rate high so you get more points for killing enemies. It increases more quickly in Break Mode and faster still in Double Break. Also, below the Break Rate you have your multiplier. This is maxed out at x4.8 in non-break mode, x5.6 in Break Mode and x6.4 in Double Break Mode. The multiplier is activated by holding down the lock-on shot and locking on to as many enemies as possible.

If you get the x6.4 multiplier just before a section with lots of enemies, you can get the timer on the multiplier to shoot up, sometimes up to 1000 or 2000. It's therefore possible to link separate Break Modes while still having x6.4 multiplier. (This is easier to do with Type Z ship, especially on Stages 4 and 5). It would look something like:

Lock-on attack > x4.8 multiplier > Break Mode> Lock-on x5.6> Double Break > Lock-on x6.4 > Screen full of stars!

The trick is to know when to activate Break Mode in order to hit the parts when most enemies appear.

As for the extends; in Simple Mode I usually collect the Item Bonus. This gives you 1 million for Stage 1, 2 million for Stage 2, etc. If you collect it in Stages 1-4 that's worth at least 10 million, so it's worth going for the Item rather than the Extend. In Original Mode I usually just go for the Extend. Picking up the energy means you'll be able to enter Break Mode more quickly, but it's not that big a deal.

One other thing, if you max out your lives count (up to 9) then in Original Mode you get the choice of Item or Energy at the end of the stage. I managed to do this once in Stage 4, so the Item gave me a 4 billion score bonus. Sadly, I still didn't manage to clear Stage 5. :(
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 pm

It's actually possible to finish Stage 1 with over 10 billion (I think my best is 12 billion), so you hit the first two score extends (1 and 10 billion) plus another extend to collect. In fact, here's a video (not mine) showing a 20 billion score on Stage 1:

http://youtu.be/16oRbwLnkPA

The bits to watch out for:

1.23: Lock-on to the large spiked thing for x4.0, trigger Break Mode just as you get rushed by loads of small ships.

1.33: Lock-on to the two large spiked things for x6.4, Double Break.

2.00: Lock-on to the small turrets + Break Mode for x5.6, just as there's another rush of small ships towards you.
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:35 pm

ORIGINAL MODE

DocHauser - 251,793,674,160 - Ex Boss - x13901 - Type Z
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:29 pm

DocHauser wrote:Type Z

That's almost a whole different scoreboard with that ship
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:18 pm

dsheinem wrote:
DocHauser wrote:Type Z

That's almost a whole different scoreboard with that ship

You need 3,000,000 item points to unlock it :lol: That will take us more than a month to do. I'm only at about 288K myself!

New Simple Mode score --

ExedExes - 17,105,090 - Stage 3 - Type I

I don't like the "laser dance" the Stage 3 boss makes you do. I can only imagine how much tougher it is in Original Mode.

Looks like we all need to go to DH's school of CC. Those scores are getting too rich for my blood :lol: Keep at it, guys!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:09 am

2nd form of 3rd boss is a pain and takes forever. He milked me for 3 lives in that form and 5 lives total, I was no miss perfect until him :/

Anywhoozles, 3rd run, Simple Mode:
36,220,370 - mjmjr25 - Stage 5 (boss) - type 1

I'll formally get on board that this was a good pick. I'm enjoying this game now that i'm taking the time to understand it better. I find the music a bit repetitive, stages a bit longer and bossfights much longer than I like, but the gameplay and bullet patterns are excellent. There is enough depth with the lock on system, the chaining, the multipliers, the bomb-meter / break meter that it will grab me for a bit, so i'm pleased and surprised.

There was a section in stage 4 where these orbs surround you and then as you kill one, they reconnect and surround you again, until they are all gone, all the while dodging bullets in this little 2" window in the center. At that moment I thought, "Dang it, this is a pretty damn good game. Do I let Dave know?" Well, I guess I did. Nice pick, Dave.
Return to Shmups