2D Shooters Invade
DocHauser
128-bit

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Air Gallet)

by DocHauser Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:51 am

OK, had a quick blast on Original as well, so these are my best efforts so far...

SIMPLE MODE

DocHauser - 72,407,350 - Ex Boss - Type I

ORIGINAL MODE

DocHauser - 37,360,041,540 - Stage 3 Boss - x7396 - Type I
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

by EllertMichael Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:49 pm

I never even broke a million on Air Gallet. :oops:
Too much time working on the cab, not enough time playing on it :roll:

So, how exactly do I get CC running on a MacBook?

ExedExes wrote: This simple indie/doujin game done by a team of 3-4 Japanese guys easily surpasses anything Cave, Toaplan, Raizing, Capcom (biting tongue) or any of shmups' big boys can put out.

facepalm.jpg
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 pm

ExedExes wrote:In my opinion, I think everyone who had an issue with dsh nominating this game owes him a big apology, and I'll be the first to extend it to him. This simple indie/doujin game done by a team of 3-4 Japanese guys easily surpasses anything Cave, Toaplan, Raizing, Capcom (biting tongue) or any of shmups' big boys can put out.

While I appreciate the sentiment, "easily surpasses anything" is a bit strong. That said, I certainly think it is better than some of the games put out by those companies and maybe better than the majority of Capcom stuff (I'm just not a big Capcom shmup fan). In any case, I am glad you are enjoying it. I hope to see lots of folks come around on it this month :)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 pm

EllertMichael wrote:
So, how exactly do I get CC running on a MacBook?

I think via Wine. Have you tried that yet? I seem to think there's a thread on shmups.org...
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Exed, I love you. I do. I think yr great. The "easily surpasses comment" though...erm, that could possibly cost you yr shmup-card. I've played CC and found it to be decent, but not decent enough I didn't take the first $20 bill that was offered for it.

I've since re-bought and am excited to give it more attention - hopefully i'll enjoy it more this time around.

As for Air Gallet - well, I have no idea where I was score-wise all month, no updates :/ I know I did well as far as progression, but unforunately not too many folks posted scores or talked strategy. My first runs were in the 200-400K range. Took awhile to improve. It was a tough game and I enjoyed it - wish there had been more participants and strategy discussion. Was hard to keep motivated at it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:52 pm

I couldn't get Air Gallet to run well on my MAME cab, or I'd have sunk some time into it. I skipped Wing Commander too, so it was sorta a month off for me :|
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Exed, you are dead to me.

That said, I am pretty stoked for CC this month!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:14 pm

dsheinem wrote:While I appreciate the sentiment, "easily surpasses anything" is a bit strong.

mjmjr25 wrote:Exed, I love you. I do. I think yr great. The "easily surpasses comment" though...erm, that could possibly cost you yr shmup-card.

dunpeal2064 wrote:Exed, you are dead to me.

:oops:

My initial opinion was perhaps a bit strong! (or accept it as an April Fools joke that doesn't require reviving dead 3-year old forum threads! yeah yeah, that's it!) It's clear I let the shiny point items and numbers and colors get to my head a bit. The fact that I could have 12 decently good runs in 45 minutes just starting out perhaps fueled that too. You *know* I'm ready for Varth next month. I can't deny the goodness of all we have played already and what we are looking forward to later this year. This however, changes my opinion of non-commercial shmups towards a more favorable direction, and for all of us perhaps disagreeing with this choice earlier in the year, maybe it was a good thing we didn't let this game get past us after all. There. :)

Now to find a way to get to 37 billion (and to restore about 1.5 years worth of shmup goodwill reputation amongst the members) :lol:

Perhaps the English manual link with good tips can be a good start -
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:11 am

Slight improvement...

ORIGINAL MODE

DocHauser - 42,342,383,820 - Stage 4 - x7314 - Type I
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:09 am

Cleared Simple Mode earlier (I'd previously cleared it once a couple of years ago) although my score was actually lower than the one I posted upthread.

I had another run where I didn't collect any extra lives and instead went for the item bonuses, thinking it would be better for score. I made it to the final boss, but I still didn't beat the other score (where I think I collected at least two extra lives). Seems that keeping your bomb meter at max and point-blanking stuff is probably the best strategy for scoring, although I think this increases the rank. What I like about Simple Mode is that you also have the option of getting a high multiplier, then triggering the bomb to prolong the multiplier. It's a good scoring strategy for beginners, because it helps to keep the rank lower.

Also, I've got three more months in Japan, so I'm really hoping the Crimzon Clover arcade game shows up before I leave. It's going to be awesome. Hopefully.
Return to Shmups