Good Shmups for the SNES

2D Shooters Invade
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Good Shmups for the SNES

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:If you import, Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie is really cool, and not too intimidating.

Gradius III isn't that hard either, at least on the SNES. I also quite enjoyed Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings, that one isn't too bad on the difficulty.

I generally don't import, and Aero Fighters is beastly expensive. I'm surprised to hear that about Gradius III though. I was under the impression it had a reputation for being brutally difficult.

The ridiculous slow down gives you plenty of time to react...and the difficulty does not pick up until the very end of the game.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ack wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:If you import, Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie is really cool, and not too intimidating.

Gradius III isn't that hard either, at least on the SNES. I also quite enjoyed Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings, that one isn't too bad on the difficulty.

I generally don't import, and Aero Fighters is beastly expensive. I'm surprised to hear that about Gradius III though. I was under the impression it had a reputation for being brutally difficult.

The arcade version (and any accurate ports) are pretty nasty, but I think the SNES port is managable. I made it to stage 7 on my first credit, and only died because I was too powered up, which caused the game to flicker so badly that I couldn't see the enemy fire :lol:

There is a Thunderforce III port to the SNES (I think its called Thunder Spirits?). The Genesis version was my first 1cc. Once you locate the 1ups, the game is pretty managable.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hmm, I guess I will give Gradius III a go then...on easy of course, since it will probably still stomp me and make me cry.

That said, since I am interested in collecting all of the SNES games released in the US, what are all of the vert and hori shmups which saw a domestic NTSC-U release? I already own these:

Axelay
Darius Twin
Earth Defense Force
Firepower 2000
Gradius III
Phalanx
Raiden Trad
Super R-Type
U.N. Squadron

But I know there are games like Aero Fighters, R-Type III, D-Force, Imperium, Thunder Spirits...what else am I missing or have not heard of?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Bio Metal is one I notice missing from your list. I'll see if I can remember any others

Edit: Oh man, Space Megaforce! That one is a good, pretty managable shmup that you definitely have to check out. Its known as "Super Aleste" in Japan and Europe, and plays quite similar to MUSHA. I personally like it more than MUSHA.
Last edited by dunpeal2064 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

There are a lot listed in this thread, but if you want to beef up your SNES shmups, then you need Space Megaforce (a/k/a Super Aleste). It is awesome.

EDIT: Also, Super Nova (a/k/a Darius Force) is solid.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Bio Metal is one I notice missing from your list. I'll see if I can remember any others

Cool, and it's relatively cheap compared to some of the big names. Thanks!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Now this is one dead thread I can get behind.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I could breeze through Axelay when I was a kid. Super R-Type and Gradius III are not too hard either, but they do not approach Axelay's quality. Plus, this has got to be one of the coolest shmup bosses of all time:

That boss fight blew my mind the first time I played it.

As I've proved through 2 score threads here, Axelay is my flagship shmup on the SNES. For me it was Stage 5 which was equally mind blowing. We played it back in February of last year as our SoTM, here is the Stage 5 boss encounter, recorded by me during the SoTM time period.

As far as shmups on the SNES I've played (and remembered for this post)-

Axelay
Super R-Type
R-Type III
Hyperzone
Darius Twin
Gradius III (completed in hidden "Arcade" difficulty)
UN Squardron (completed in hidden "Gamer" difficulty)
Biometal
D-Force
Firepower 2000
Strike Gunner STG
Aero Fighters
Space Megaforce
Thunder Spirits
Blazeon
Super EDF

and many more, but these just come to mind. Any of these you'll have a good time with. The SNES is a fine destination for shmups!
Last edited by ExedExes on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ack wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:Bio Metal is one I notice missing from your list. I'll see if I can remember any others

Cool, and it's relatively cheap compared to some of the big names. Thanks!

Np! Its sort of a pre-cursor to stuff like GigaWing and Mars Matrix, as it has a reflecting force field, and way too many bullets to dodge. Its hectic, but for the price it fetches its well worth checking out.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Np! Its sort of a pre-cursor to stuff like GigaWing and Mars Matrix, as it has a reflecting force field, and way too many bullets to dodge. Its hectic, but for the price it fetches its well worth checking out.

Don't forget the "licensed" music in the American version. :lol:

EDITED my above post to add Super EDF too. A must get!

prfsnl_gmr wrote:EDIT: Also, Super Nova (a/k/a Darius Force) is solid.

I bought it back in October and I have yet to play it. Must make time!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

A lot of great info in this thread

I'm wondering if someone could help confirm if this is a complete list of SNES/SFC scrolling shooters? Excluding rail shooters and run and gun stuff, as well as games that only have one or two shmup styled levels like Cybernator. Anyway, is this list missing anything?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Su ... g_shooters