All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 181  Next
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 am 
128-bit

mjmjr25 wrote:
PGM mobo and Demon Front cart (you just need one mobo for all the games - and there are some dandies).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4RFmffYP2Y

So isn't there like PGM 1,2,and 3 systems, I am assuming that that system 3 is backwards compatible? The different PGM systems still kinda confuses me. My luck I would by a game that wouldn't work with that motherboard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:42 am 
Next-Gen

dunpeal2064 wrote:
I have not played many. I do love Gunstar Heroes and Contra 3.

Yay Contra 3

I'm glad to see you like more than shmups -- it was something I was thinking about as I was pondering the latest 19XX score.

You want puzzle with your shmups? Try Twinkle Star Sprites on the NG (not kidding!) Also has 2 player competitive mode!

But -- only been doing shmups for a year and wiping the floor with all of us? AWKWARD :|

(BTW, Pulstar's nice, but BLAZING STAR is even better)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:49 am 
Next-Gen

Sine Mora Demo Xbla,undecided if Ill purchase at 1200msp and dosent help that Im rocking out on the TG16 & Genesis shmups which are ever so graceful.

..But its Grasshopper and its very rich unique world so I see me biting soon!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 am 
Next-Gen

WARNING: A Large Post is Approaching. Are You Ready?

ExedExes wrote:

Yay Contra 3

I'm glad to see you like more than shmups -- it was something I was thinking about as I was pondering the latest 19XX score.

Ha ha yeah. I played anything I had when I was a kid (Megaman X was my favorite game for so long... and still is one of). Stopped playing games for a while and went and lived the crazy life, and when I got back into gaming, I realized I missed so many good games growing up.

ExedExes wrote:

You want puzzle with your shmups? Try Twinkle Star Sprites on the NG (not kidding!) Also has 2 player competitive mode!

I love this game on the DC, but sold it a while ago. I really want to give it a spin now that you've reminded me of it. Such a unique game.

ExedExes wrote:

But -- only been doing shmups for a year and wiping the floor with all of us? AWKWARD :|

Ha ha. Its probably all the bullet hell shooters. Stuff with lightning fast bullets I am terrible at, since you have to actually have experience with that particular game. With bullet hells, the skill kinda transfers between games (scoring aside). 19xx is almost a bullet hell, like Batsugun, so I was able to pick it up fairly quick.

I think you should try to get into a bullet hell, just to see how you like it! Some of them are just so hard that only masochists enjoy them, but some of them are fairly accessible

ExedExes wrote:
(BTW, Pulstar's nice, but BLAZING STAR is even better)

I have played Blazing Star once, in a Pizza Hut across town, like 4 months ago. Holy crap, what an awesome game. Ironically, I then ended up sending a Blazing Star to Mike, and it was the first arcade board I had ever seen. At that time, I thought I'd never be able to play cool shit like that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:09 pm 

bryan_65 wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:
PGM mobo and Demon Front cart (you just need one mobo for all the games - and there are some dandies).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4RFmffYP2Y

So isn't there like PGM 1,2,and 3 systems, I am assuming that that system 3 is backwards compatible? The different PGM systems still kinda confuses me. My luck I would by a game that wouldn't work with that motherboard.

I venture that 99% of the games you see will be PGM 1. PGM 2 was released much later, very very expensive and very few sales. The games from the PGM 2 hardware will be sold w/a compatible motherboard - there are only (5) PGM 2 games.

PGM 1 mobo:

All the carts you come across will fit into the cart slot on ^that mobo.
I think there were 28 carts released - a few weird puzzle photo and tile matching games, but the rest is legit.

PGM 2 mobo w/game:

Again, ^those are rare to find, typically bought direct from the HK and JP arcade stores. Great games: Knights of Valour 2 and 3, Oriental Legend 2, and DDP DOJ Tamashi.

As for PGM 3, that is referring to the 3rd release of the first mobo and is typically referred to as PGM I, PGM II, and PGM III so as to not confuse w/the PGM 2. It will play all carts, yes. I have a PGM I and a PGM II mobo and both play all the carts I have - which is most of the library. I am not aware of any compatibility issues in any of those (3) mobos.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:21 pm 
Next-Gen

DDP DOJ Tamashi? Is that different than a vanilla DOJ pcb?

Espgaluda and Ketsui are made using PGM too right? But they have their own mobo or something?

Gah, so much to learn :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 pm 

dunpeal2064 wrote:
DDP DOJ Tamashi? Is that different than a vanilla DOJ pcb?

Espgaluda and Ketsui are made using PGM too right? But they have their own mobo or something?

Gah, so much to learn :idea:

Not entirely positive - i've seen DDP DOJ Tamashi and DDP DOJ Black Label on various lists, but never on the same list - so most likely it is the exact same thing.

Yup, Ketsui / EspGaluda / DDP DOJ / DDP DOJ Black Label (Tamashi)? are all PGM. They were all released in casings, like this I believe. Often guys "un-case" them and put them in nice cardboard boxes like other CAVE pcb's. The JAMMA edge is on the PCB, unlike the cart versions.

DDP 2 Bee Storm is the only shmup in cart form for PGM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:36 pm 
Next-Gen

How did you like that one? DDP II Bee Storm, that is.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 pm 

Played it once - lot of potential - seemed a bit easy, made it to 4th boss on very first run. Have no idea what the scoring system was...i'll wait to pop it back in once you have yours :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 pm 
Next-Gen

mjmjr25 wrote:
Played it once - lot of potential - seemed a bit easy, made it to 4th boss on very first run. Have no idea what the scoring system was...i'll wait to pop it back in once you have yours :wink:

How pricey?

Dude, just scored a new board, local pickup from PC Engine Fan X

:mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 181  Next