All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 183  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 am
Posts: 4262
Location: Central Valley, California
OtokonoZenyou wrote:
Playing Batsugun and Dodonpachi on my Saturn through my XM29+ at the moment.


Fantastic games, but I must know, what is this XM29+?

I have been working on Donpachi on the Saturn. I can take down the first 3 stages with no deaths, and now that I get scoring and how bomb-stocking and rank works, I think I can loop this.

I really want to invest in a psx copy of this game, as the horrid loading times and sound samples make me sad. The game is so damn charming though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:14 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 9219
Alright Chaz, talk at me. I was having ho-hum run (Deathsmiles), level 5, sitting at about 11-12 million, then i'm not sure what happened, I just started chaining the hell out of it, the numbers were coming in looking like a hot orangish red and I chained for about 45 seconds straight...then died. Ended up at 31million. I feel like I should've noticed something different, I felt like I had chained like that before...is the chaining as simple as drop one start over? Is it a time-chain system like Mars Matrix? This opens things up a bit - I feel like I can compete at this beauty now.

_________________
noiseredux wrote:
I'm not a PC gamer myself, but I still love to read yr threads because they're so illuminating. So bring it on!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:07 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:20 am
Posts: 5351
Location: South Carolina
dunpeal2064 wrote:
I really want to invest in a psx copy of this game, as the horrid loading times and sound samples make me sad. The game is so damn charming though.

It's worth it imo.

_________________
Image
mas wrote:
I've read some of your post. I'm not impressed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:04 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 am
Posts: 4262
Location: Central Valley, California
mjmjr25 wrote:
Alright Chaz, talk at me. I was having ho-hum run (Deathsmiles), level 5, sitting at about 11-12 million, then i'm not sure what happened, I just started chaining the hell out of it, the numbers were coming in looking like a hot orangish red and I chained for about 45 seconds straight...then died. Ended up at 31million. I feel like I should've noticed something different, I felt like I had chained like that before...is the chaining as simple as drop one start over? Is it a time-chain system like Mars Matrix? This opens things up a bit - I feel like I can compete at this beauty now.


Yeah, I think what you did was hit the max multiplier. Basically, you don't want to pick up high-point items when you first go crazy-mode, you want to let them break into as small of items as possible. Once you have picked up a certain amount of items (Not sure how many) You will activate max multiplier, turning the numbers above you orange and multiplying all the items you pick up by 10,000.

So, basically, items give you points AND raise your multiplier. So your first goal is to max out your multiplier (Really easy to do on those boulder-spitting volcanoes), and then you want to pick up the big items, to give them that max multiplier.

There is also a way to gain enough gems on screen that, when you run out of crazy mode, you'll collect enough of those big gems to completely fill your crazy meter, allowing you to immidiately go crazy again.

Sorry that took so long xD I really wish I had a way to play this game with you, I may have to fork out the cash for a jp copy.

brunoafh wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
I really want to invest in a psx copy of this game, as the horrid loading times and sound samples make me sad. The game is so damn charming though.

It's worth it imo.


So, I tried this out in MAME now that I have a good setup for it (VGA, CRT, Scanlines, YAY), holy crap is the Saturn version terrible. I want to do a side-by-side video, as the loading times are hilarious, and the sound quality is drastically different. I'd like to see how much closer to the original the psx port is. I know its supposed to be much better than the Saturn port.

I'm having a tough time with this MAME thing. I like to own games, but with the setup I have, the games look and play better through MAME. I guess I could go supergun+pcbs, if I ever get a better job. Lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:07 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:15 pm
Posts: 4097
Location: Boston
I'll sell you the Platinum Hits version for $25 shipped. For everyone else it's more. :P

As for what shmup I am playing, I have been playing a bunch to decide what to get from rancor.

Bike Banditz is what I was most recently playing a few minutes ago. It's quite a bit like Progear but much more colorful. Very well made doujin shmup released in 2003, I think.

_________________
My B/S/T thread! :)
NN ID: Erikdayokyun ||| 3DS FC: 3797-6415-1148
PSN ID: ZenErik (PS3 + PSVita)
Steam: Erikdayo ||| Origin: Erikdayo ||| UPlay: Erikdayo ||| SE ID: Erikdayo
XBL ID: Erikdayo


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 am
Posts: 4262
Location: Central Valley, California
ZenErik wrote:
I'll sell you the Platinum Hits version for $25 shipped. For everyone else it's more. :P

As for what shmup I am playing, I have been playing a bunch to decide what to get from rancor.

Bike Banditz is what I was most recently playing a few minutes ago. It's quite a bit like Progear but much more colorful. Very well made doujin shmup released in 2003, I think.


You should hold that for me, I'll buy it once I have dat PP :) I need to get some Doujin suggestions from you, now that I have a pc for the first time in... erm, like 10 years :shock: and that one had like 256 mgs of ram


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:59 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 8509
Location: Denver CO, USA
I'm playing through Darius Gaiden for the first time in a long time. It seems strangely difficult to me. The enemy bullets can be a bit hard to see.

Thank goodness for the P2 swap trick. :lol:

_________________
XBL/PSN: GoldfishRT
NNID: GoldfishRT93
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:53 pm 
Offline
Next-Gen
 Profile

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:59 pm
Posts: 7188
Played just a little of Jamestown last night, but today I put in UN Squadron. Such an great shmup.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 am 
Online
Former Moderator
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 18902
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania
Fuck you Levels 9 and 10 of Ketsui Death Label Very Hard Mode. Fuck you very much :evil:

_________________
BST|PODCAST


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What shmup are you playing now?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:44 am 
Offline
Next-Gen
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:47 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: I'VE NEVER SEEN AN OCELOT
Tyrian 2000. It's not amazing, but the upgrade system is.

_________________
backlog | steam | last.fm


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 183  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: