What shmup are you playing now?

2D Shooters Invade
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Re: What shmup are you playing now?

Post by foxhound1022 »

That's one rabbit hole I want to wait awhile before going down. I know there's a lot of great TG/PCE titles, but they're on the pricier end, too.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

The best of the series imo is on SFC; Spriggan Powered, but also pricey.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

mjmjr25 wrote:The best of the series imo is on SFC; Spriggan Powered, but also pricey.

Really? Honestly I found it to be very slow paced, ugly and all-around kind of awful. I even tend to award extra points to games involving mecha due to personal bias and I still dislike it.

To each his own I guess.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

I have been playing some more of Axelay. Man...I don't know what it is about this game. I want to like it, but I'm not sure if I just suck or it's just a game I don't care for.

I know the opinion is pretty split on this game.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Gunstar Green wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:I actually really dislike pretty much every Compile shooter I've played... except Super Aleste. It really is top notch.

Huh, it's pretty standard for a Compile game in my opinion (standard being I like it a lot) and only extraordinary as a SNES shmup. I imagine you'd at least like GunHed since it's pretty close to the same thing.

I think its far from standard for a Compile game, because I didn't clear it on my first try :lol:

Honestly though, the game just feels more like an arcade shooter than most of their games, although this is after heavily tweaking the options. I think it is a far, far better game than MUSHA, Robo Aleste, or Spriggan once you get into those options and start mucking around.

Zanac is alright though. Wasn't a fan of the ps1 game.

My biggest issue with Compile, and home shooters in general, is that they are often not as difficult as arcade shooters, but are about 3x as long. The short length and high difficulty are some of my favorite points of the genre.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Thought briefly about starting a high score thread for Dimahoo but meh, saw everyone played it for SotM 2 years ago.

Been playing this game on and off for the past few months and absolutely love it. Finally beat 1mil yesterday and made it to stage 4.

Weekend shmupper
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

Astro Blaster (Arcade)
Salamander II (Arcade)
Blazing Lazers (Pc Eng.)
R-type (Pc eng.)
Truxton (Megadrive)
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

mars matrix
espgaluda II
Akai Katana

I haven't played akai katana in a long time... took me probably 10 or 12 runs just to get back toward the 100 million mark. I feel like I've improved a lot on horizontal shooters the last couple years though, which is nice.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I just started playing Progear. What a great game! Do you guys have any scoring tips? I don't know how to get more of those jewels and have the gunner like me :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

General_Norris wrote:I just started playing Progear. What a great game! Do you guys have any scoring tips? I don't know how to get more of those jewels and have the gunner like me :lol:

Basically you're juggling. Collect some rings with rapid shot and then when the screen fills with bullets destroy things with lock on, the bigger the bullet spreads on screen, the bigger the gem cash out.