What shmup are you playing now?

2D Shooters Invade
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Re: What shmup are you playing now?

Post by foxhound1022 »

Hmm, didn't know there was a DC version of TSS. I've got the NGCD port.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

foxhound1022 wrote:Hmm, didn't know there was a DC version of TSS. I've got the NGCD port.

I've never played the NGCD version. Hope the load times aren't horrific. The DC version is just nice in DC mode with no slowdown. I'm not sure how the port compares when it's on the standard arcade setting for slowdown. I would assume the NGCD version is more accurate in that sense.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
outlaw_moon
24-bit

Post by outlaw_moon »

DoDonPachi Resurrection. Got it in the mail Friday and got the chance to try it out over the weekend and luffed it :mrgreen:
It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Gradius Galaxies (GBA) -- it finally came today!

Starts off well enough with a small retrospective of the series up through 2001, starting with Scramble and going through Salamander & related games.

I think it does a fantastic job of keeping everything fresh and new, and retaining the great old fashioned Gradius features and gameplay. You can choose your weapon layout, even switching to Salamander style weapons (including the ingame powerup voice staying true to that calling the Options "multiples")

Started off a little slow but it was a good early demonstration of the more advanced graphics and animation the GBA was able to pull off. It's a very nice looking game and everything is easy to see on the small screen.

A feature I know I'm going to be spoiled by is the ability to leave a game in progress and start on ANY checkpoint that you completed on any stage you already cleared to come back to anytime. Yes, this shmup SAVES YOUR IN GAME PROGRESS RIGHT DOWN TO THE LAST RESURRECTION POINT.

Plus, it has a "hint" option in which you can review a portion of the game you have trouble with through a demonstration. Think of it as the YouTube playthrough. Sure came in handy on one point in Stage 3.

As the only Gradius title to appear on the GBA, I say it's a good buy.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

ZenErik wrote:
foxhound1022 wrote:Hmm, didn't know there was a DC version of TSS. I've got the NGCD port.

I've never played the NGCD version. Hope the load times aren't horrific. The DC version is just nice in DC mode with no slowdown. I'm not sure how the port compares when it's on the standard arcade setting for slowdown. I would assume the NGCD version is more accurate in that sense.

No, it's actually one of the better games in term of loading times. The NGCD isn't bad overall; it's just certain fighters that really hurt. Having to load in between every round is just ridiculous.
CaptainHarlock
8-bit

Post by CaptainHarlock »

Been futzing around in G. Darius on the PS1. Wasn't the greatest game of its time, but it's still good fun blasting up polygonal fish ships every now and then. :p
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

CaptainHarlock wrote:Been futzing around in G. Darius on the PS1. Wasn't the greatest game of its time, but it's still good fun blasting up polygonal fish ships every now and then. :p

Grabbing the different enemies to see what kind of powerups they give you was always a load of fun. Like you said, not the bst of the bunch, but unique enough to come back to every now and then.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Sadly, the PC port of Taito Legends 2 did not receive G-Darius, but Darius Gaiden is a pretty neat looking game. I will continue on that one constantly otherwise I'd never make it past the 2nd stage. There was something like 7-8 different endings depending on the path you chose.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Strange that each port and localization contains a slightly dfderent lineup.

I have the ps2 port, which has G Darius, but does not have Layer Section, whereas the jp ps2 release does.

The jp release also gives you TATE options for the 3:4 games too, a feature I am quite sad is missing in the localization.

Still, the amount of shmups on that release is well worth it.

Just Metal Black and Gekirindan would run $100 if you wanted the Saturn ports.
sgt.flanders
16-bit

Post by sgt.flanders »

I've been jumping between Blazing Lazers, Gunbird 2, and Keio Flying Squadron myself. I really want to track down a copy of Space Megaforce and see what that's like.

Don't pay the ferryman.