X-Men vs Street Fighter - Best Versus Fighter Ever?

Brawlers and Beatemups
racketboy
Site Admin

X-Men vs Street Fighter - Best Versus Fighter Ever?

Post by racketboy »

My new review

Anybody else play this one?

Do you like it more or less than the later vs. fighters?
Saraph
64-bit

Post by Saraph »

I fully agree with you. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter is dripping with originality compared to the later Vs. series installments with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 as a small exception. Even though the cast of XvSF was small, it was very well put together, and the sprites for new comers Rogue, Gambit, Sabertooth, and Cammy are all very well done. It's not as over the top as Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, and doesnt try so hard to cator to all Capcom fans as much as Marvel Vs. Capcom.

I like owning all Capcom fighters, and I am very glad to have this game in my collection. I bought this as well as MSHvSF for $50, and have never regretted it. I can still remember the first time in the arcade that I played it. I was supposed to be on vacation with my cousin and his family, but instead of enjoying the beach I found myself glued, for the first time, to a acrade machine. I know I'm not that young, but really, this is the first game that made me want to go to the arcade as opposed to staying at home playing my Saturn or Genesis. Capcom really should make a Vs. series collection, have the CPS-2 games in it. I don't think Marvel would allow it though seeing as the rights have been moved to EA. One can always hope Capcom takes up DC games now and does the same thing with their characters.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with a Vs. Compilation -- similar to the upcoming Alpha one.

Not sure if the EA thing would be an issue or not.
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

I like this game allot, but I like MCV1 and Two more. MVC1 just seems to be a higher quality product, and MVC2 really jumps ahead of this game in every way you can imagine.

However, I don’t think any of these games are the best V.S. fighter ever. I think Samurai Showdown 2 or Last Blade 2 is. I think that games, like the MvC series, started missing the boat in allot of areas. There seemed to become a generic formula of “bigger is better”, which isn’t true when dealing with something like a videogame. I think Last Blade 2 really shines in the realm of tactical originality, instead of just adding glittery combos or more characters on the screen you got a complex countering and parry system.

I also find that the entire feeling of Last Blade 2 is higher quality, while I enjoy the quality of the artwork in the Capcom games, it lacks personality. There seems to be an almost generic look on all of the characters faces that doesn’t change much, the backgrounds are interesting but they don’t add to the excitement of the fight. In Last Blade 2, the fights are staged in burning builds that seem very alive, the characters expression and personality is vibrant and alive ect…
Saraph
64-bit

Post by Saraph »

ravenmgs wrote:I like this game allot, but I like MCV1 and Two more. MVC1 just seems to be a higher quality product, and MVC2 really jumps ahead of this game in every way you can imagine.

However, I don’t think any of these games are the best V.S. fighter ever. I think Samurai Showdown 2 or Last Blade 2 is. I think that games, like the MvC series, started missing the boat in allot of areas. There seemed to become a generic formula of “bigger is better”, which isn’t true when dealing with something like a videogame. I think Last Blade 2 really shines in the realm of tactical originality, instead of just adding glittery combos or more characters on the screen you got a complex countering and parry system.

I also find that the entire feeling of Last Blade 2 is higher quality, while I enjoy the quality of the artwork in the Capcom games, it lacks personality. There seems to be an almost generic look on all of the characters faces that doesn’t change much, the backgrounds are interesting but they don’t add to the excitement of the fight. In Last Blade 2, the fights are staged in burning builds that seem very alive, the characters expression and personality is vibrant and alive ect…

But... they arent Vs. fighters?

In esscence, a versus fighter (atleast the one's racket and I are talking about) pit one franchise against another.

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Vs. Capcom
Marvle Vs. Capcom 2

If you want to get really technical, the SNK line-up are also considered "Vs." games as well.

Capcom Vs. SNK
Capcom Vs. SNK Pro
Capcom Vs. SNK 2
Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO
SVC Chaos: SNK Vs. Capcom

I won't even mention all the Neo-Geo pocket games, that's a bit much and isnt what I would consider a big arcade game. Samurai Showdown and Last Blade are a fanchise in themselves, such as Street Fighter or Darkstalkers (Vampire Hunter), so in no way could they be considered "Vs." games at all.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

well put. :)

I guess ravenmgs is thinking of those others as "vs" as opposed to beatemups like Final Fight & Street of Rage.
lunar
24-bit

Post by lunar »

X-Men vs SF is probably the most significant Vs. game for the amount of buzz it generated at some of the arcades I went to during that time. There was always a crowd gathered around the big-screen machine and with plenty of competition, I could hardly get a game to practice on my own. Wasn't into playing in front of a crowd especially if your up against a player who can juggle you out of oblivion :)
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Well theres no Cyber Akuma, but I did like the music.
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

Saraph wrote:
ravenmgs wrote:I like this game allot, but I like MCV1 and Two more. MVC1 just seems to be a higher quality product, and MVC2 really jumps ahead of this game in every way you can imagine.

But... they arent Vs. fighters?

In esscence, a versus fighter (atleast the one's racket and I are talking about) pit one franchise against another.

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Vs. Capcom
Marvle Vs. Capcom 2

If you want to get really technical, the SNK line-up are also considered "Vs." games as well.

Capcom Vs. SNK
Capcom Vs. SNK Pro
Capcom Vs. SNK 2
Capcom Vs. SNK 2 EO
SVC Chaos: SNK Vs. Capcom

I won't even mention all the Neo-Geo pocket games, that's a bit much and isnt what I would consider a big arcade game. Samurai Showdown and Last Blade are a fanchise in themselves, such as Street Fighter or Darkstalkers (Vampire Hunter), so in no way could
they be considered "Vs." games at all.

I've never heard the term "v.s. fighter" applied exclusively to the capcom crossover games. I have alwayse heard them refered to as "crossover titles" ect.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

ravenmgs wrote:I've never heard the term "v.s. fighter" applied exclusively to the capcom crossover games. I have alwayse heard them refered to as "crossover titles" ect.

I've often heard the term "vs" games to describe the Capcom/Marvel series. Either way, they haven't changed Zangief's sprite since 1995 so the games are all just variations of Street Fighter Alpha.

*ducks