Am I alone in hating Mortal Kombat?

Brawlers and Beatemups
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: Am I alone in hating Mortal Kombat?

Post by Pulsar_t »

I used to be an MK nut but in retrospect the series did lack variety in the gameplay department since EVERY character had the same basic moves, among other things. MK2 was the best imo. As for MK:DA and upwards they tried to add fighting styles but it was too little too late.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

Ack wrote:I'm surprised that Fugue didn't immediately say 'digitized'! I know he's a fan of that.

:lol: I didn't want to sound like a broken record. "Digitized" sprites are a lost art form; the trend died way too early. Actually I'm surprised how quickly it got left behind considering how many whiners there are out there that hate cartoony or anime styles.
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Harvey
24-bit

Post by Harvey »

Doctor Fugue wrote: "Digitized" sprites are a lost art form; the trend died way too early. Actually I'm surprised how quickly it got left behind considering how many whiners there are out there that hate cartoony or anime styles.

I always wondered why the digitized sprites got left behind too. Is it expensive to make?

I was a huge fan of MK2 and MK3 at the times they were out. I pick them up every now and then and enjoy them, but I agree that they aren't very deep. I disagree that button mashers can excel at these games, though. When I was at my prime, I could dominate anyone at these games who just wanted to slam on the controller.
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Post by disorderlyvision »

Doctor Fugue wrote:
blue_veilvet wrote:
glynnahab wrote:Am I the only person who thinks these games blow donkey dick?

Could you explain to me as a non-american foreigner what the expression "blow donkey dick" means?

What's funny is that if you google "blow donkey dick" the first result is this thread.

no. whats funny is that you googled "blow donkey dick" :lol:
cloudrat7
32-bit

Post by cloudrat7 »

I loved the first mk, i guess it was the novelty of realistic fighters and all that gore, but as the series went on it kinda fell off.
so yes, i hate mortal combat now, but when it first appeared in arcades it was ok.
http://www.artwanted.com/cloudrat7
Sega master system, Sega genesis, Sega saturn(mod), Dreamcast, Nes, Super nes, Turbografx-16, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Gamecube, X-box 360.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

disorderlyvision wrote:no. whats funny is that you googled "blow donkey dick" :lol:

I google many things, including donkey dick. :shock:

Did you check it by googling it yourself? I think Google will start wondering why "blow donkey dick" is suddenly a very popular search. :D
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

Harvey wrote:
Doctor Fugue wrote: "Digitized" sprites are a lost art form; the trend died way too early. Actually I'm surprised how quickly it got left behind considering how many whiners there are out there that hate cartoony or anime styles.

I always wondered why the digitized sprites got left behind too. Is it expensive to make?

I was a huge fan of MK2 and MK3 at the times they were out. I pick them up every now and then and enjoy them, but I agree that they aren't very deep. I disagree that button mashers can excel at these games, though. When I was at my prime, I could dominate anyone at these games who just wanted to slam on the controller.

Digitized sprites died because of this game
Attachments
Iron_Man_and_X-O_Manowar_in_Heavy_Metal_Coverart.png
Iron_Man_and_X-O_Manowar_in_Heavy_Metal_Coverart.png (198.95 KiB) Viewed 627 times
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

mk isn't bad, it just didn't transition well into 32=bit+ because the sequels were terrible.
--
Gennss
--
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Arion: I never tried playing MK on the Amiga but I remember MK 2 had decent scores - rather surprising IMO given the controller flaw. I remembered SF2 at least could be played on the keyboard, but I don't remember if that gave you different buttons for punch and kick.

Everyone else: I'm a big fan of MK2, used to play the PC port on the keyboard with some buddies. MK3 wasn't as good as 2, but it was still decent. I played a little bit of 4 when they went 3d and I don't think that worked out too well, but I haven't bothered with the series since.

I don't know how well MK2 holds up when it is played at the highest level (some versions of SF2 are apparently very good for that), but it was quite good at the level we played at (we weren't pros but we were competitive about it) - only a small minority of people play at pro level, I reckon.

Ivo.
Pingfa
64-bit

Post by Pingfa »

On a side note, I've only played one 3D Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance for PS2. Try it out. :wink: