Fighter Terminology

Brawlers and Beatemups
Ack

Fighter Terminology

Post by Ack »

Racket's been asking about terms for SHMUPS and RPGs, but he's left it to other individuals to come up with them for Fighters. Read that: he left it to me. I don't want to forget anything, so post terms and descriptions so I've got them written down, because pulling all of this stuff out of my head in one sitting isn't always easy.

And let's keep it general. While Launcher is pretty much a universal term, for instance, Air Raid is not. Here's a few terms to get us started:

Punch
Kick
Throw
Block(Guard)
Counter
Launcher
Turtle
Priority
Hitbox
Taunt
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Fighter Terminology

Post by dsheinem »

I don't know why it's worth going to the work when other excellent glossaries exist:

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Glossary:Fighting_Games

http://insomnia.ac/archive/glossaries/fighting/
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I didn't want to post it in here and make you feel like I didn't think you could do it yourself.... :)
What about juggling?
Parry
Reversal
are there terms for different kinds of combos?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Nah, it's cool Racket. I figured it would be best to cover my bases. Plus it gives me a good amount of info on what people consider to be the mainstays of the genre, so I can edit and redo the list I'd already been working on. Also, I don't believe there are specific terms for specific numbers of hits in a combo beyond X-hit combo, unless you're playing something like Killer Instinct, which did name them. However, those names aren't anywhere near universal.

Thanks for the links dsheinem. I'm also interested in what the community here considers a general term, as some of the ones listed in those glossaries get pretty game specific at times.
General Chaos
128-bit

Post by General Chaos »

Ack wrote:Racket's been asking about terms for SHMUPS and RPGs, but he's left it to other individuals to come up with them for Fighters. Read that: he left it to me. I don't want to forget anything, so post terms and descriptions so I've got them written down, because pulling all of this stuff out of my head in one sitting isn't always easy.

And let's keep it general. While Launcher is pretty much a universal term, for instance, Air Raid is not. Here's a few terms to get us started:

Punch
Kick
Throw
Block(Guard)
Counter
Launcher
Turtle
Priority
Hitbox
Taunt

I've admitted before that I'm lousy at fighters so it should come as no surprise that I'm not entirely familiar with some of these terms.

Could you define/explain Turtle, Priority and Hitbox? I really should make an effort to get to know this genre more.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Certainly.

To turtle is to crouch and block in a fighter. While I believe it's possible in a 2D, I've never seen it used as effectively as in a 3D fighter. The idea is to do damage to the opponent quickly, then simply crouch and block. When your opponent comes close, you can peck at them from time to time with quick hits to continuously do damage, but the idea is really to run the clock down. It also makes the opponent look for a move that can actually connect, as typically only a mid-range hit will break through someone's turtle. Also...most characters in 3D fighters can't throw a crouching opponent.

Priority is used to describe what happens when two attacks are executed simultaneously. Often one will connect with the hitbox of the opponent before the other, negating the opponent's hit and dealing them damage. In that situation, the attack that hits is said to have higher priority because the game allows it before the other.

As for the hitbox...ever notice in a game where you'll get too close and attack, and your punch will go through the other guy but do no damage? Or wonder how it was that you could stand on one side of the screen, throw a punch, and it not hit the guy on the other? That's because in fighters, everything is actually done with boxes. You're not attacking the sprite, you're attacking a box within the sprite that serves as the sensor for damage, and your attacks are merely offensive boxes that hit whenever it overlaps the opponents hitbox.

Typically hitboxes are supposed to be mapped to a character so that if you hit the sprite or 3D model, you hit them, but it doesn't always happen. They can sometimes be smaller or bigger than a character, making it easier or harder for that character to get hit.
General Chaos
128-bit

Post by General Chaos »

Ah--those definitions are rather enlightening. I was familiar with the turtling "technique" but had no idea it had a name.

Is there a term for someone who constantly holds the back (or block) button? In the street fighter games that's basically what I do, and then throw in a Hurricane kick when I can, since I almost always play as Ken.
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

^^^ get tossed!

:)
Ack

Post by Ack »

Not really. It could technically be considered a form of turtling, except you're still open to low attacks, air attacks can still get you, and you're still susceptible to throws. The purpose of turtling is to reduce your opponent's effectiveness by limiting their attack options. Unfortunately you're still a bit open, and you need to worry about chipping...which is another term I should probably describe...
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

Dude, that is such a smart-ass avatar. :lol: