Street Fighter Questions

Brawlers and Beatemups
Ziggy

Re: Street Fighter Questions

Post by Ziggy »

Sev! What up?

sevin0seven wrote:Which character in MK do you like piloting? Find an identical fighter in SF.

Well my favorite MK game is MK II, and I've played enough of it that I can do a random character select each round. I've memorized all of the character's special moves and fatalities, and most of Shang Tsung's morphs. So knowing MKII that well, when I jump to a Street Fighter game it's kind of frustrating how much I suck at it. It's almost like I learned Spanish as a second language and now I want to learn Italian.

sevin0seven wrote:Sega Saturn Controller at best. Genesis 6 button comes in second.

Close or distant second?

Does anyone have any opinions on using a wireless Saturn pad for fighting games? I was thinking about getting one, but I've heard people say that the wireless controller adds lags which is bad for fighting games.

sevin0seven wrote:My tip; always start attacking with either low attacks and finish with a high attack (this will always give you a combo move to your opponent).

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

sevin0seven wrote:With special moves (like hadoken) its either slow or fast fireball or (shoryuken) low or high dragon punch for example. Depending the type of opponent your facing, all options can be helpful. One example; if your against e-honda. Since he jumps lower or slower than most; its best to use the slower hadokens. Each opponents requires different tactics to beat them.

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that!

sevin0seven wrote:**one last tip; when I play SF I'm "always" thinking about blocking my opponents attacks then counter (like boxing). In SF you gotta be a good defensive and offensive player equally.

I've been playing very defensively against the computer because no matter what I do the computer seems to easily counter my attacks and I get my ass handed to me. I've even turned the difficulty down to 2. I may have to turn it down to 1 lol.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Ziggy587 wrote:Close or distant second?

I would say close second.

sevin0seven wrote:My tip; always start attacking with either low attacks and finish with a high attack (this will always give you a combo move to your opponent).

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

you can also try high attack (from air), low, low, then high attack (all kicks).

I've been playing very defensively against the computer because no matter what I do the computer seems to easily counter my attacks and I get my ass handed to me. I've even turned the difficulty down to 2. I may have to turn it down to 1 lol.

lol, that much eh...struggle is real. If you keep practicing; you'll eventually get better.

let me know if you want to spar online. :wink:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

sevin0seven wrote:let me know if you want to spar online. :wink:

It's a trap!
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Gotta throw my 2¢ in.

Playing Capcom vs SNK on Dreamcast is what made Street Fighter gameplay and timing really click for me. And say what you will about the DC controller, but that has THE smoothest D-pad in the world (too bad about the 4 button layout, but irrelevant in CapvsSNK).

Of course, once I got used to the motions, I went back to my Sega controllers. Genesis (6-button) and Saturn are both on par for me and it doesn't get much better.

These days whenever I pick a SFII game up, I automatically have a strategy for each opponent. It was not learned by much conscious effort though. I just played the heck out of SSFII on Genesis and eventually learned patterns by osmosis.

I have luck against the AI with followup attacks backing up a pixel or 2 and busting out an uppercut (or similar) right as they stand up again.
Also, if you ever get a jump kick in, it's good to follow up with a leg sweep (useful for fireball spammers, assuming you can find the small window before their uppercut counters you).

Favorite fight is Ken vs Vega (claw). Vega was always challenging for me, but Ken can slap him around good once you get timing down.

One final note:
I played a good amount of the original SFII arcade, but never got used to joysticks. Controllers are way more comfortable and effective in my experience.

Also, I am actually a pretty crummy fighter player in general. But I keep coming back to them.
...just another lost soul...
zcal

Post by zcal »

One input method you might consider is keyboard. I'm totally serious. The ability to do this will depend on your kit, but if you're emulating on PC it's obviously super convenient. As long as you don't intend to bring your skills to a local arcade or convention--you mentioned not wanting to use an arcade stick, so sounds like that's out--and you plan to play mostly by yourself or online, a keyboard is a great way to play. I've been playing SF and similar fighters on keyboard for years and I find it to be the easiest and most comfortable input method by far. It might take some getting used to at first, but I find inputs are generally quicker and more accurate than any other controller.

As for Street Fighter games, my trifecta is II Turbo, Zero/Alpha 3, and III Third Strike. Each of these games represents, to me, the pinnacle of different gameplay styles across the series. You'll notice I picked II Turbo instead of Super II or any of its derivatives. This is because II Turbo was the last to use the art style and audio samples from the original II, which I prefer. It also doesn't tally points for or call out combos, nor does it include a super meter. I like that; it's got a certain purity to it.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

There was a time when I would have done almost anything for a home port of SFII Turbo (I was dirt poor most of my childhood up until I afforded a Genesis my Senior year of HS).
Now "II Turbo" is available to me on no less than 6 systems and I find myself still having a ball any time I fire the game up.
But I'll play any iteration of SFII, including the original on SNES.

I wish a keyboard was viable for me (what with all the arcade emulators at a PC's disposal). It also would have made the DOS port of SSFIIT a good option back in the day.
But keyboards are as bad or worse than a joystick for me. Maybe if I was forced into it, but I would never do it by choice.
There is no substitute for a good D-pad.
zcal

Post by zcal »

nightrnr wrote:I wish a keyboard was viable for me (what with all the arcade emulators at a PC's disposal). It also would have made the DOS port of SSFIIT a good option back in the day.
But keyboards are as bad or worse than a joystick for me. Maybe if I was forced into it, but I would never do it by choice.
There is no substitute for a good D-pad.

Good news is that you can bring a d-pad to your PC with very little trouble. Keyboards to consoles not so much. I'm ruined for fighting games with a d-pad on consoles. Once I got used to keyboard I just couldn't go back.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so I have to ask:

What is your opinion on "Hitbox" Arcade controllers?
Like this:
https://www.hitboxarcade.com/

Seems like the same idea, although it might be weird to switch hands for the direction side (I'm sure they offer custom designs though).

It was so bizarre seeing those for the 1st time. But I guess they offer a lot of precision. I would try it, but can't justify paying for one.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. This may be off topic.
zcal

Post by zcal »

I'd love to try a Hitbox! They're just such a huge investment... If I actually wanted to play competitively I might spring for one.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Some tournaments still won’t allow them, even with updates to prevent pressing opposing directions.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.