Five 2D Fighters You'd Take With You to Your Grave

Brawlers and Beatemups
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Five 2D Fighters You'd Take With You to Your Grave

Post by pierrot »

I don't know, dude. Looks like a pretty solid group to me. VSav and LB2 are digital hotness, and I have to respect SFII for what it did for fighting games, even if I don't personally like it all that much. Marvel Super Heroes is a great game, that looks really good on the Saturn, but runs like ass without the dedicated 1MB RAM expansion cart. It still has quite a bit of slowdown, even then. I think Origins on PSN and XBLA was delisted, right? That version of MSH seems to be the best one can do without the actual arcade board.

I haven't played any Mortal Kombats since 3, so--.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

pierrot wrote:I don't know, dude. Looks like a pretty solid group to me. VSav and LB2 are digital hotness, and I have to respect SFII for what it did for fighting games, even if I don't personally like it all that much. Marvel Super Heroes is a great game, that looks really good on the Saturn, but runs like ass without the dedicated 1MB RAM expansion cart. It still has quite a bit of slowdown, even then. I think Origins on PSN and XBLA was delisted, right? That version of MSH seems to be the best one can do without the actual arcade board.

I haven't played any Mortal Kombats since 3, so--.

I hated every MK game after MK3. I think I only put one or two quarters in MK4 before walking away to another cab in disgust. Oh, wait, I take that back, I tried a demo of MK Mythologies, too. That kept me away. MK9 brought it back to 2D, though, and is less unfair than MK2 was. I originally thought about putting MK3 there, too, but I figured I'd need something more modern in there.

MSH could possibly be substituted. I just really enjoy the Marvel aesthetic (same reason why I love Darkstalkers - cool aesthetic more than doing anything new with fighting).

SFII is just all nostalgic. Plus, as you can see, I'm not generally one on complicated mechanics. I'm just not that good at them. -_-
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I don't think I chimed in on this one yet...

This is a tough one, but I think there would be my picks:

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (I just love the slightly less crazy roster, the backgrounds, and such)
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Street Fighter 2 CE
X-Men vs Street Fighter (soft spot for me before MvC)

Honorable Mention would probably be Capcom vs SNK which could possibly overtake XMvSF for more SNK flavor.

Another dark horse contender would be King of Monsters on the Neo Geo. I need to play it again, but I have a lot of nostalgia for that one at it would add some variety to this lineup.
funk_Farmer
8-bit

Post by funk_Farmer »

1. Guilty Gear XX
2. King of Fighters 98
3. Marvel vs Capcom 2
4. Gundam Battle Assault
5. Power Instinct Matrimelee

And if I had access to a guide and youtube vids I'd throw in Weaponlord. I'd like to be good at that game, to understand all 20 something moves for each character, learn it's ins and outs, but it's too much.