Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

Last Bronx

by marurun Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:01 pm

So, I've owned this game for a while. I have the Japanese version. I did play an arcade version in Japan years ago. It's not flashy like Soul Edge, but I think the gameplay is tighter. The characters aren't quite as insane looking as the ones in Fighting Vipers. I think it is ultimately a little closer in style to FV than Virtua Fighter, though. Still, it's odd how little is said about this game, despite the fact that the gameplay is really solid. I think the game is much tighter than Soul Edge (and Fighting Vipers) and the fighting styles are all pretty distinct.

Anyone else have thoughts on this Sega hidden gem?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Last Bronx

by Stark Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:16 pm

This is a Saturn game right? I believe I have it, but haven't given it a go yet. Looking at the pictures, is it a fighter with weapons like Soul Edge? I'll have to give it a try!!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
marurun

by marurun Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:25 pm

It is a weapons-based fighter. It plays a lot like Virtual Fighter in some regards, but with slightly more aggressive juggling. It isn't as flashy as Soul Edge, but I think it is more solidly designed. Saturn port is great.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:56 pm

I remember almost buying the PC version back in the day. Was that one of those Sega ports that required MMX? I know Virtual-On did, but I'm not sure about Last Bronx.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:09 pm

Gotta rock that Nagi with spoon and fork.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:24 pm

Sarge wrote:I remember almost buying the PC version back in the day. Was that one of those Sega ports that required MMX? I know Virtual-On did, but I'm not sure about Last Bronx.

I didn't even realize it got a PC port. That's awesome.

For a while I've been wanting to make a set of lists of all Sega ports by console. Someday...
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:50 pm

It apparently also looks better on PC, as well. Closer to the Model 2 hardware, if what I'm reading is correct.

It also looks like it made it to PS2, and that one is supposed to be a direct port from the arcade hardware.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
outlaw_moon
24-bit

by outlaw_moon Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:51 pm

I remember picking this up with Fighters Megamix back in the day at my local VG store. It has been at least 10 years since i last played LB, but I remember really enjoying it. Not as tight as Virtua Fighter 2 but still good controls.
It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum.
Cafeman
8-bit

by Cafeman Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:21 am

It was a very good port to Saturn. One of the final big games if I recall correctly. I've owned it for almost 20 years now. I was a big VF2 and VF3 fan, and I loved the Saturn VF2 and Fighting Megamix games. I found Last Bronx a little less interesting than those despite the technical accomplishments (great 60fps animation and weapons trails). It seemed more button-mashey than VF. I'll need to pop it in again soon!
arcadifvid
32-bit

by arcadifvid Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:53 am

i got it for PS2. it was alright, but i have issues with its collision detection it felt very "stiff". would have played this more if i actually have someone to play with
Return to Fighters