Controller Conundrum

Brawlers and Beatemups
bmoc
Next-Gen

Controller Conundrum

Post by bmoc »

The right bumper on one of my Xbox One controllers broke so I'm in the market for a new fightpad. I checked and it is no longer under warranty. I'm likely going to attempt a repair of the broken controller regardless after I get a torx security bit but I do want something that has good longevity. I'm looking at the following options.

Hori Fighting Commander
-have to use my Brook adapter for Xbox One compatibility
-Probably better dpad than the Xbox One controller
-$40ish

Newer style Xbox One controller with the 3.5mm headphone jack
-Better designed bumpers? They did get an overhaul with this revision.
-$45 new on eBay
-Easiest to use at night due to builtin headphone jack

Upgrade arcade stick with this
-Possibly help me hit diagonals better which the Crown 303-FK is bad at
-$15 plus shipping
-Arcade sticks are loud so I'd have to game in the basement

Thoughts? Other suggestions? Can anyone speak to the difference in quality of the newer Xbox One controllers?
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Controller Conundrum

Post by strangenova »

I can't speak to the Xbox one controllers but for my taste, nothing beats an arcade stick for fighters. They might be noisy but the inputs are quicker and more precise.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Controller Conundrum

Post by bmoc »

Well I managed to fix the bumper last night with some new parts. It took a little extra modification on the new bumper to make it work right though. There are holes in the bumper that are used to mount it to the controller. One of the holes was too small. I had to make it a bit bigger with a 1/8" drill bit. After that, it works like new.

Since I have two functioning Xbox One controllers now, I don't think I will purchase a third even with the alleged improved bumpers. I'm leaning toward the arcade stick mod now but I'm still going to keep an eye out for the Hori controller going on sale.