SNK/Neo Geo Humble Bundle

Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

SNK/Neo Geo Humble Bundle

Post by marurun »

Anyone here pick that up? Quality emulated games with networking.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: SNK/Neo Geo Humble Bundle

Post by noiseredux »

Five of them are.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

You betcha I picked that up. I loooove NeoGeo, and with how expensive some of those games are for the actual console, I was thrilled to see them in a big Humble Bundle.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

eh i'm not paying for MAME roms
marurun

Post by marurun »

Good thing that's not what they are. If you're a Windows user, they are little standalone executables with xinput support.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

marurun wrote:Good thing that's not what they are. If you're a Windows user, they are little standalone executables with xinput support.

actually Fast already exposed in another thread that they are in fact MAME ROMs wrapped in a SNK-approved self-booting emulator.

Not to say that that's terrible - they are still legit ROMs from the publisher.

I'm under the impression that multiplayer doesn't work on them either? I didn't know they had xinput support - everyone had been mentioning keyboard controls.

I bought the bundle, but haven't touched the non-Steam games yet.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think that wrapper makes all the difference. The things are foolproof to play, which is nice. They are also authorized and official. And the Humble Bundle includes a few Steam releases as well, like KOF 98 Ultijmate and KOF 2002.

I haven't tested multiplayer or anything yet on the stand-alones, so I can't say whether it works/exists or not.

OK, just did a quick test. DirectInput devices do NOT appear to be supported, but you can do local multiplayer with keyboard and Xinput device. Not sure if adding a 2nd Xinput device will provide 2 player pad support, because my other Xinput pad is still in the package (I don't have any friends).

Additionally, these are by DotEmu. That said, the emulation seems great and the game wrapper apps seem perfectly functional.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Local multiplayer has worked fine with Xbox One controllers for me. Even if they are just ROMs, it supports the development/publishing company. It also looks REALLY nice to play these a rock solid 60 fps on a huge HDTV without the shitty upscaling of trying to use a mid-90s console on a 2010's TV. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I haven't tried them as stand alone in a while but I was having that speed-up issue with the emulation using my laptop. Checked my refresh rates and everything was normal but apparently it was a widespread thing as they DM'd me on Twitter to say they're working on it and don't know what is happening.