Re: What do you think of Final Fight?

Post by Exhuminator »

ImageImage
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Oh man those graphics definitely prove that final fight is better /bluetext.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Don't you know graphics are the only thing that matters in a video game?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I'm glad to hear opinions here are as divided as everywhere else :lol:

Still, you guys aren't explaining why you think that Streets of Rage is worse of better. What are the big differences to you guys? What makes one great and the other just okey in your mind?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Erik_Twice wrote:I'm glad to hear opinions here are as divided as everywhere else :lol:

Still, you guys aren't explaining why you think that Streets of Rage is worse of better. What are the big differences to you guys? What makes one great and the other just okey in your mind?

I don't think that is that much substance to beat 'em up games. Accordingly I value style over substance in that genre. Final Fight has drastically better art direction than SoR, and I think that is why I like it better. Moreover, characters from Final Fight bled over to the Street Fighter games, and as a testament to Final Fight's character design, they are some of my favorite characters in that series.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I played Final Fight before I did SOR, but I like the SOR series better. While Final Fight had huge sprites and very accessible play control (unlike Double Dragon, one of its venerable forefathers), it also had very simple gameplay. Yeah, there were new enemies, but basically, you punch, throw, weapon, and special. You can cut your punch chain short to restart it if you don't want a knockdown, but the game usually started to feel very bland to me after a while. SOR was graphically less impressive, but it was also designed for a home system rather than the arcade and was 2 player, unlike the SNES port of Final Fight. SOR allowed you to grab enemies and flip over them for a different kind of throw or attack, and to evade enemies coming up alongside. That simple twist upped the replay value for me quite a bit.

Final Fight is, I think, so legendary because it is so accessible. Look at Double Dragon. Complex fighting system, but movement is really slow, the animation is slow and choppy, and the hit detection can feel really weird. Also, it can be hard to figure out all the moves. Double Dragon feels overly complex and unpolished at times. Final Fight has this really shiny glaze over it and makes it really easy to walk up and beat the crap out of a bad guy.

Now, wait a sec, I praised SOR because of increased complexity and I used that to help shoot down Double Dragon. It has to do with game feel. SOR has the same easy, approachable feel Final Fight has. SOR is a natural evolution of some of the increased complexity of the genre combined with the cleaner, smoother gameplay Final Fight introduced. That and SOR was made to be played at home with pals, rather than have quarters eaten up in the arcade.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

Final Fight is great. But when it comes to random dudes punching other random dudes on the mean city streets... I personally prefer SoR or Double Dragon. When it comes to brawlers in general, I prefer the more colorful variety - licensed comics, D&D, etc.

The problem with the first Final Fight is the SNES version. SNES fans like to use it as an example of how much more powerful the SNES was over the Genesis. This is true. BUT if you play the arcade and SNES versions side-by-side, it's easy to see just how inferior the SNES version is. It's not bad, but certainly not that great. It's not just the missing level or missing Guy... the SNES port feels really slow and choppy compared to its arcade counterpart.

Not to mention, the Sega CD is definitely the best version - I even like it more than the arcade. Gameplay is almost as smooth as arcade, and it has less censorship than SNES (though it still has some). But most importantly... it has a really awesome CD-quality arranged soundtrack. Cheesy as hell, but still really cool.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
G-Darius
32-bit

Post by G-Darius »

Personally I like it and own a europa coin kit version of the cab although the pcb is faulty at the moment,I feel the problem was that after the initial success of FF Capcom started milking its popularity by releasing a load of other beat-em ups using similar features so these later games so they felt to me too similar with the game play mechanics.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's alright. Way bigger fan of Streets of Rage (2) though.

Funny to bring it up here, but I find that I consistently like smaller sprites for characters a lot more. NES Megaman vs the insanely ugly Megaman 7 comes to mind here. Megaman is HUGE there and feels like it takes away from the level design and everything.

Smaller... is... better? :lol:

My favorite SNES beat em' up is probably The Peacekeepers / Rushing Beat Syura.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Real question should be what do you think of Final Fight Streetwise! Lol

Seriously though besides the cameras it's kinda so bad it's good imo, reminds me of a great Fight Club game and there's an unlockable version of Final Fight Arcade plus Cammy!!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.