Rising Thunder - Upcoming Free to Play PC Fighter

Brawlers and Beatemups
bmoc
Next-Gen

Rising Thunder - Upcoming Free to Play PC Fighter

Post by bmoc »

I saw a commercial for this while watching EVO. It looks intriguing. From how it has been described, you will be able to customize your fighter from a large list of special moves that unlock as you play. Also the inputs have are extremely simplified. Graphically it reminds me of Killer Instinct, philosophically it reminds me of Smash Bros, and character design reminds me of Cyberbots. An odd mix for sure. I am curious to see how this one turns out.

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr9KGKrj4aw
Some gameplay and technical info - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg7opyrLOKE
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Rising Thunder - Upcoming Free to Play PC Fighter

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm always cautious of free to play but I love robot fighting games.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Seth Killian is working on the game and from what I have garnered, the special moves are similar to Smash Bros. by having them mapped to a button and making it a single direction and button press. I honestly find that to be refreshing and easy to use. There isn't a need to have convoluted commands as they really exclude a huge player base with the difficulty.

It should be easy to play and difficult to master, which is what we are looking for.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I got an invite to the alpha test last night. I checked and there is no NDA so it looks like I can talk about it. In its alpha state, it was surprisingly stable though I haven't played online yet. I just used the training mode to get a feel for the characters. I was most comfortable with Chel which should be no surprise because she is a shoto character.

There's no tutorial yet nor do you get an explanation of what the special moves do. You just have to hop into training mode and figure it out on your own. As of right now, there is a button for Light Attack, Medium Attack, Heavy Attack, Special Move 1/2/3, Throw, and Super. Most characters start out with one or two extra special moves that you can swap out for. I played it with an Xbox One controller and it worked pretty well. I'll try my stick this weekend.

Overall it shows a lot of promise but it is in a very early state. Chel's fireball seems really strong right now because the other characters seem to have very few tools to deal with zoning. If I were to play online, I'd bet most people would be spamming fireballs like crazy. I'm sure there will be lots of balance tweaks to come.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

They just sent me a email with two extra alpha codes to give away. If anyone here wants one, just send me a PM.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

so I have been playing a bit of this game and am slowly learning the ropes. Playing a lot of ranked matches and enjoying playing as Edge the most. He is really fast and keeps you guessing with his specials, offering you a lot of options to get in on ranged enemies.

Still very new, but the game is very accessible, definitely an easy game to pick up and play and learn.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

FYI, the Alpha test is available to anyone now at http://risingthunder.com/
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

Post by OldSchool_Boy »

http://risingthunder.com/2015/09/29/whatwereupto-pingfiltering/

Here is where they are as of September 29th. Still haven't had a chance to REALLY play it but hopefully next week I'd get some time into this.
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.