Fighting on the cheap

Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

Fighting on the cheap

Post by marurun »

So, with the Steam sales and all, I have a number of fighters in my library now. What I don't have is a good controller. The 360 pad just isn't a fighter's dream. That said, I don't know that I can justify $100. Are there any sub-$50 controller options that are even worth taking a look at, pad or stick?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Fighting on the cheap

Post by flojocabron »

Don't some wired ps3 and 360 controllers work on PC?

I've seen some nice six button fighter controllers before
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Joysticks:
Hori and Madkatz sticks can be bought second hand very cheap from all the people who are upgrading to custom-built arcade sticks. Sometimes these are USB; sometimes they are Playstation- style connector. PS2->USB adapters aren't hard to find. I will say to research the model number before you buy as the quality varies wildly.

Fightpads:
Sega Saturn USB pads are favorites among retro-gamers. These used to be hard to find, but now there are plenty of reproductions on the market.

Microsoft Sidewinder USB
This is the one I use. The D-pad is really good for platformers; it's better than alright for fighters.

PDP Versus Fighting Pad
If you like the tiny clicky stick on the Neo Geo Pocket, try the PDP versus fighting pad. It combines the form factor of a pad with the click feedback that good arcade sticks provide.
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

If you already have a Saturn pad, this USB adapter works great.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZB ... ge_o09_s00

If you really want a stick, you might be able to dig up a used Qanba Q1 for around $50. Anything cheaper than that is going to be garbage.
http://www.amazon.com/Qanba-Q1-PS3-Joys ... s=qanba+q1
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

USB Saturn pad is great. At least with mine, you can also swap in official Sega rubber into it - so for instance I have the Genesis 6 button dpad "switches" in mine because I like that loose feel.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I used one of the WWE BrawlPad for the longest time before getting a Q4RAF. I don't think it really matters if you use the X360 or PS3 version, but I used the PS3 version if I remember correctly.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Used the X360 brawl pad, Hori VX, Hori RAP EX, and now a SF4 CE stick (PS3), all because they were cheap offline/here and all because they had some recommendations. I agree to wait awhile and buy someone's stick when they upgrade. Most can be pretty cheap (~$40 or less). I have no use for the VX, so if you're interested in that, PM me.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Great suggestions, folks. Thanks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I still use the WWE Brawl stick. I think I paid $10 for it. Not sure how cheap it is these days though.