Fire Pro Wrestling

Brawlers and Beatemups
jay_red
Next-Gen

Fire Pro Wrestling

Post by jay_red »

Back when I was a kid, I loved wrestling more than I would like to admit. When the GBA came out I remember trying to buy Fire Pro Wrestling with it and the EB games employee talked me out of it, saying it was too hard and I wouldnt know any of the wrestlers.

I never really gave the series any other thought for years, but somehow ended up with Fire Pro Wrestling returns on the PS2 and gave it a shot, but couldnt really get into it. Just the other day I got a random urge to try it again, and looked up a guide on how to play and now that I am getting the hang of it, it is really awesome!

I also just picked up the GBA FPW, and it is just as fun as the PS2 game, but I do see how as a kid I would not have enjoyed it. Anyone else Fire Pro fans? What game is your favorite (I hear Fire Pro D on the Dreamcast is great)?
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Fire Pro Wrestling

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I've never been able to really put in the time to learn the games but have always been intrigued in the engine.

Having two FPW releases on the Game Boy Advance always astonished me. You can edit the names fairly easy IIRC and it's quite a deep roster.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

after some trial and error I was successfully able to import a fan made save into Fire pro Returns that adds in a ton of WWF/WWE wrestlers. it really made the game more fun to see all the classic wrestlers I loved.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I went through a heavy Fire Pro phase on the Dreamcast and GBA, then the Saturn. Returns is probably the best - 8 player and the best CAW, followed by D on the Dreamcast, then Six Man on the Saturn. But really any of them with a decent CAW can land you hours of fun, once you get use to the controls.

I still have Fire Pro Advance, but sold my other copies over the years.
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

You "wouldn't know any of the wrestlers" because FPW doesn't have the licenses and just makes mockups of irl wrestlers. I have the PS2 and GBA verisons (in fact it's the only GBA game I own) and it's a phenomenal game... sort of. Collision detection is bizzaro compared to the N64 wrestling games I was used to, but once you get a hang of it it's all friggin brilliant.

Drastically under-appreciated series, just like any good game that doesn't have a real license.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Why hello there Yancakes