Any Saturn games with direct 1v1 competition.

Brawlers and Beatemups
the7k
Next-Gen

Any Saturn games with direct 1v1 competition.

Post by the7k »

I'm planning to run a mystery game tournament for my local FGC. Since I've already been on a mission to collect Saturn games, I've decided to run the tournament entirely on that. While I'd obviously be running mostly 2D and 3D fighters, any non-fighting games would also be welcome.

They just need to have direct interaction with the opponent, preferably reward concepts like spacing, positioning, etc., and preferably have sets last around as long as a typical "Win two rounds" set from a fighting game. This would rule out most puzzle and racing games, but games like GoldenEye or the versus mode from Mario Kart would be run - if they were on the Saturn.

Also trying to do this on a budget, so cheaper is better. Quality is more or less irrelevant. Odd is preferable.

Here's what I currently have:
2D
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Marvel Super Heroes
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Night Warriors
Vampire Savior
Street Fighter: The Movie
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Galaxy Fight
Waku Waku 7
Battle Monsters
Ninku
Groove On Fight
Pretty Fighter X

3D
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Kids
Dead or Alive
Fighting Vipers
Fighters Megamix
K-1: Fighting Illusion

Non-Traditional
Virtua On
Guardian Heroes
mjmjr25

Re: Any Saturn games with direct 1v1 competition.

Post by mjmjr25 »

2DO Arukotowa
Noon
Saturn Bomberman
Twinkle Star Sprites
Destruction Derby
Doom (not sure if this version has vs mode)
Winter Heat and Decathlete
Elan Doree
Magical Drop II (vs mode)
Fire Pro Wrestling 6-man scramble
Funky Head Boxers Plus

These all come mind quickly, i'll think of others...
GamerMON
Next-Gen

Post by GamerMON »

Saturn Bomberman supports up to 10 via 2 multitaps but 1 v 1 is always cuttthroat. The JP import is cheap but for just 1 v1 Saturn Bomberman fight is even cheaper but only supports up to 4.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I dunno about Noon, Twinkle Star Sprites and Magical Drop. I'd probably run a separate mystery puzzle game tournament for them. (I know TSS isn't really puzzle, but I feel it'd fit in better due to the lack of direct conflict between the two players.)

Bomberman series is definitely a good option, though. Will definitely look around for that. Also somehow forgot about Funky Head Boxing, definitely need that one.

Is it possible to access the versus mode in Die Hard Arcade directly?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

the7k wrote:I dunno Twinkle Star Sprites (I know TSS isn't really puzzle, but I feel it'd fit in better due to the lack of direct conflict between the two players.)

Well, the conflict is sorta direct in that the full chains or specials you shoot drop enemies on your opponent - it can certainly feel like a h2h fighter and matches generally last about the same amount of time.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

mjmjr25 wrote:
the7k wrote:I dunno Twinkle Star Sprites (I know TSS isn't really puzzle, but I feel it'd fit in better due to the lack of direct conflict between the two players.)

Well, the conflict is sorta direct in that the full chains or specials you shoot drop enemies on your opponent - it can certainly feel like a h2h fighter and matches generally last about the same amount of time.

I suppose... but the game is also pretty expensive.

I mean, I'll get it eventually, but I'm trying to get cheap games quickly. Yeah, possibly even games like Criticom, if I become that desperate.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

Hyper Reverthion and its better sequel Steeldom comes to mind. A lot like Virtua On but not as good.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

No love for Last Bronx or Final Fight Revenge from an FGC? Son, I am disappoint.

Our FGC also loves money matching who can get furthest vs the busted ass AI in Yakyuu Ken Special (the strip r/p/s game), lol.

I agree with mjmjr on Twinkle Star Sprites needing to be included. It's one of the most competitive versus games ever created, if you have your community play it (even emulated) they will get addicted fast. That game is for MEN!
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Final Fight Revenge is $300 though! I'd love to but that's too much.

As for TSS, I already have it on Dreamcast and I plan to do a Dreamcast mystery game tourney down the road, so I'll just save it til then.

I'll get Last Bronx though. Will look into those Virtua On clones when I get off work.

Also definitely want Sonic Council, I would have picked it up at Super Potato if I hadn't run out of cash.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

There's still a bunch of fighters left, generic stuff like MK and sequels to already mentioned stuff... I think you have enough to formulate a good & varied mystery game circuit around the SS.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.