6th/7th Gen 2D Fighters

Brawlers and Beatemups
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: 6th/7th Gen 2D Fighters

Post by Gunstar Green »

Aramonde wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:From what I understand it people were upset about the on-disc DLC of Street Fighter X Tekken. Also many Tekken fans hate that it's a 2D fighter.

Isn't there supposed to be a Tekken X SF that plays like Tekken? I thought that was part of the agreement Namco and Capcom had. Where is that game?

Haven't heard anything about it in quite a while. Namco didn't really want to commit to a release date.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Gunstar Green wrote:From what I understand it people were upset about the on-disc DLC of Street Fighter X Tekken. Also many Tekken fans hate that it's a 2D fighter.

That's part of it. There are 12 characters on the disc that have to be bought, for a pretty steep price mind, and to add insult to injury the DLC characters appear on the character select menu! And they weren't just afterthought characters either; Jack, Bryan, Dudley, Lei, Sakura and Blanka were among those held back. So that annoyed a few fans and since the game wasn't popular enough for a re-release you will need to download the extra characters to get the complete package.

The other controversial part was/is the gems. Gems were augments to certain abilities (higher punch power, super-armor on certain frames etc) that could be unlocked in play, or, bought in packs as DLC. Now they're fine in single-player but they were seen as detrimental to the competitive side, and were eventually banned at EVO 2013 effectively killing the game off.

So, unpleasant Capcom cash grabs aside it is still a well made and fun fighter. The point about Tekken fans hating it is moot though, as Tekken X Street Fighter was supposed to redress that balance. Not a pop at Gunstar, just what the original plan was for the crossover.

o.pwuaioc wrote:I own Street Fighter IV vanilla, I don't actually own MvC3 or Injustice yet. So do share what's best!

Ultimate MVC3 is basically what MVC3 vanilla should have been. It has 12 new characters, some new stages (sort of) and addresses some of the balancing issues from MVC3 specifically relating to the X-Factor technique. It also has a few new modes.

Injustice recently had a GOTY style re-release that includes all the DLC of which there is a lot. It is probably the most cost effective way to own the game.

And I'm not sure if you're aware, but SFIV will have yet another version later this year with Ultra Street Fighter 4. New characters and things.

Long post, but I hope it helps.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sload Soap wrote:And I'm not sure if you're aware, but SFIV will have yet another version later this year with Ultra Street Fighter 4. New characters and things.

Long post, but I hope it helps.

Of course! SFIV isn't my absolute fav, so I'm not too worried about Ultra this or Special that, but if it's significantly better, I may eventually get it when it bottoms out in price, if you think it's worth it to trade in vanilla?
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I usually just get the latest version purely for the characters. I'm not adept enough to notice all the little tweaks unless they happen to a character I am very familiar with. As it stands with Arcade Edition, the current roster is 14 characters larger. It's $14 used on amazon.com.

I'm like you though, SFIV isn't my favourite so SuperSFIV will do me for now. It has Dudley and that's all I need to know.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Maybe I'll wait another year or two when it drops down to a few dollars. Thanks for the info so far!

I'm surprised that this is the limit of fighters. Besides what I mentioned and what was mentioned in the thread, there's nothing else? Not that I'm complaining about not having to add more games to my want list. :roll:
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

o.pwuaioc wrote:I'm surprised that this is the limit of fighters. Besides what I mentioned and what was mentioned in the thread, there's nothing else? Not that I'm complaining about not having to add more games to my want list. :roll:

-Capcom Fighting Evolution (though I wouldn't recommend)
The list isn't meager by any stretch. Plus, there is still plenty on the way. As someone mentioned SF4 has one more major update left. An update is already available for Persona 4 Arena in arcades in japan and the newest GG installment is set to come out on PS3 as well. Not to mention digital exclusives, compilation releases and 3D fighters... there is plenty available across 6th and 7th generation.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

o.pwuaioc wrote:I did a little research last night, and came up with these 2D fighters for the PS2 through Wii. Excluding compilations, downloads, and those with those with Dreamcast ports, am I missing anything glaring? For the record, I'm the kind of guy who thinks SFII, CotA, and Vampire Savior more than SFIV or TvC.

Battle Fantasy (PS3/360)
Guilty Gear XX (PS2/Xbox)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS3/360)
King of Fighters XIII (PS3/360)
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS3/360)
Mortal Kombat Komplete (PS3/360)
Samurai Shodown V (PS2/Xbox)
Street Fighter IV (PS3/360)
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Ultimate All-Stars (Wii)

How is KoF 2003, XI, or XII? I looked at and can't stand the art style for BlazBlue, and left off the rest of the Guilty Gear series as I heard they were redundant with GG:XX. I also didn't like and thus left off Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

King of fighters 2003 is very imbalanced, and kinda pointless to get because XI is literally just a better version of it.

XI is excellent, I think it is probably the best King of Fighter, though the most different one. It is tag team based, and relatively fast paced. It's quite fun to play, but sadly there is no online play that I know of. Regardless, it's an excellent game, probably the second best fighter in the 6th gen behind 3rd Strike. Though I barely played Mark of the Wolves.

XII is an unfinished version of XIII. SNK ran out of time and had to release what they had with XII, and it was pretty plain. XIII is supposed to be a lot better, but I never played it personally. It looks good though.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

So I guess I am missing the point of this discussion? :lol:

What do you want me to tell you based off the OP? Yes. You've left a ton of games off that list that fit your "requisites"... and No. Most of them are not good or worth mentioning.

You only like a small handful of fighting games from this era? ok.

:?:
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I will second KOF XI. It is a really great game.

Also - and without reading the thread in detail or thumbing through my collection - I noted that you left off:

SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (PS2; XBOX).

It is far from perfect, but it can be fun. Also, it is fun to see some Capcom characters rendered in the "Neo Geo" style.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

cha cha: Basically I'm checking if I'm missing anything good. Easy-peasy.