Brawlers and Beatemups
Ack

Re: Shaq confirms SHAQ FU sequel in the works

by Ack Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:02 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Frag Mortuus wrote:Isn't this game terrible? For some reason, I've seen a bit of a resurgence in it's popularity lately. But, I thought it was regarded as being terrible.

Maybe it's all part of a big joke and I'm not in on it. 8)

Yes, it's terrible, and that's kinda why it's so popular. It's like the Troll 2 of video games.

Honestly though, there are worse games on those consoles. I always have mixed feelings about Shaq Fu, because it's a game that gets a lot right: the overworld map letting me pick my battles is a great idea, the animation is fluid and pretty, and there are some wonderful stages. The issue is that the game plays like a cinematic platformer: it is the Prince of Persia or Out of this World of fighting games. Each character has extensive animation, but the controls feel delayed, and hits don't register until too long after a command has been input. It makes the game play like its in molasses and like you're always having to think two steps ahead to counter one move back.

Here, watch the end credits of the SNES version of the game. This is how the game should flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40m8MYMpeMI
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:10 pm

Yeah I was actually kinda disappointed when I first played Shaq Fu because I actually expected something a lot shittier.
Ack

by Ack Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:12 pm

AppleQueso wrote:Yeah I was actually kinda disappointed when I first played Shaq Fu because I actually expected something a lot shittier.

There's always the SNES port of Pit-Fighter...
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Ack wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Yeah I was actually kinda disappointed when I first played Shaq Fu because I actually expected something a lot shittier.

There's always the SNES port of Pit-Fighter...

Yeah I've played that one, now that game is truly awful. :lol:

I don't think the arcade version is very good either, but the SNES port manages to be so much worse.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Ack wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Frag Mortuus wrote:Isn't this game terrible? For some reason, I've seen a bit of a resurgence in it's popularity lately. But, I thought it was regarded as being terrible.

Maybe it's all part of a big joke and I'm not in on it. 8)

Yes, it's terrible, and that's kinda why it's so popular. It's like the Troll 2 of video games.

Honestly though, there are worse games on those consoles. I always have mixed feelings about Shaq Fu, because it's a game that gets a lot right: the overworld map letting me pick my battles is a great idea, the animation is fluid and pretty, and there are some wonderful stages. The issue is that the game plays like a cinematic platformer: it is the Prince of Persia or Out of this World of fighting games. Each character has extensive animation, but the controls feel delayed, and hits don't register until too long after a command has been input. It makes the game play like its in molasses and like you're always having to think two steps ahead to counter one move back.

Here, watch the end credits of the SNES version of the game. This is how the game should flow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40m8MYMpeMI

That's pretty much it exactly. The character animations are great, but they just don't work in a fighting game.

Regardless I don't think it's the worst game either. It's certainly playable and I've gone through it without much of an issue. It's not a good game either, but it's the absolute absurdity of the concept and story that has made it so infamous.

If this were just a fighting game with fantasy creatures in it, then it would've been long forgotten as merely mediocre. Since it's a fighting game with fantasy creatures in it that randomly stars Shaquille O'Neal however, it's a legendary and nostalgic trip back to one of the most ridiculous things that 1990's marketing produced.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Aslong as it is better than the GB version. Lowkick is op!
Ack

by Ack Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:28 pm

I like the idea of Pit-Fighter, and it is an interesting game from a historical perspective(first use of digitized actors for sprites). And nowadays I can't look at stages like Underground in Tekken 4 without thinking about it.

But the SNES port? I consider it to be the worst game on the console(at least, it's the worst game I've played/beaten for Super Nintendo). It is, at best, a shining example of how badly a port can differ from the base game, but also an example of how such a flawed port can completely change public perspective on a title. When I find people discussing Pit-Fighter as a terrible game, they are usually discussing the SNES port, not the original arcade release. That's not to say Pit-Fighter arcade is anywhere near greatness, but it's a much better game than it gets credit for, and it seems to all come down to that port.

Seriously. I consider Cliffhanger to be a better game.

fastbilly1 wrote:Aslong as it is better than the GB version. Lowkick is op!

Yeah, but the platforms added to the stages certainly make the GB game interesting. I prefer it to the GB ports of games like Primal Rage.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Ack wrote:But the SNES port? I consider it to be the worst game on the console(at least, it's the worst game I've played/beaten for Super Nintendo).

Clearly, you have never played Bebe's Kids... :lol:

(I'm just kidding, BTW, Pit-Fighter is worse.)
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:54 pm

I also think Shaq Fu also gets a lot of attention as a bad game because it's a game a lot of people have played. Not everyone has had the misfortune of experiencing stuff like Pit-Fighter and Bebe's Kids.

Shaq is something that grandma would recognize when sifting through all of those confusing Nintendo tapes in the KB Toys bargain bin when shopping for your Christmas present.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 pm

SNES Pit Fighter is the worst game I've ever played, and gets my vote for worst game of all time.
Return to Fighters