noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Best version of Virtua Fighter

Post by noiseredux »

Fighters Megamix

marurun

Post by marurun »

Is this Pixar's next film? Cars in Love?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

pierrot wrote:
Ack wrote:What? No love in this thread for VF Kids: Java Tea Edition?

You jest, but I honestly went to VF Kids more often than VF2 back in the day. I ultimately like 2 better, though.

No shame, I've spent a good chunk of time with my copy of VF Kids as well.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I could go on a tirade on how Virtua Fighter is the best 3D fighter series of all time, but... let's not get into that :D

At one point, around 2004 or so, I'd have been willing to argue for Soul Calibur. But those days are past, and I gotta say that I agree with this statement.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I would call Virtua Fighter the thinking man's fighter
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I would have been able to argue best looking or most fun for Soul Caliber back in the day, but not best overall. Even with VF3's flaws, it was still the best balanced and most technical 3D fighter of the day.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

marurun wrote:I would have been able to argue best looking or most fun for Soul Caliber back in the day, but not best overall. Even with VF3's flaws, it was still the best balanced and most technical 3D fighter of the day.

I really have to go back to Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle on the Dreamcast. That was the one I really wrote off as unenjoyable in comparison to the others in the series. Of course, back then, I wasn't as much of a fighting game connoisseur as I am now. I am curious to see how it stands.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I am all about some Virtua Fighter Remix... In all seriousness VF2 is my favorite, but VF5 Online is the one I have played the most in the past year.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
marurun wrote:I would have been able to argue best looking or most fun for Soul Caliber back in the day, but not best overall. Even with VF3's flaws, it was still the best balanced and most technical 3D fighter of the day.

I really have to go back to Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle on the Dreamcast. That was the one I really wrote off as unenjoyable in comparison to the others in the series. Of course, back then, I wasn't as much of a fighting game connoisseur as I am now. I am curious to see how it stands.

The Dreamcast version does have some weirdness in addition to being graphically weaker than the arcade. It has the gameplay tweaks from the TB arcade release, but it also has some weird software glitches or behaviors occasionally, like on the raft level. Further, it suffered graphically in comparison with Soul Caliber and Dead or Alive 2. Without Sega fully in charge of the port it got overlooked due to simply looking less impressive.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

marurun wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:

The Dreamcast version does have some weirdness in addition to being graphically weaker than the arcade. It has the gameplay tweaks from the TB arcade release, but it also has some weird software glitches or behaviors occasionally, like on the raft level. Further, it suffered graphically in comparison with Soul Caliber and Dead or Alive 2. Without Sega fully in charge of the port it got overlooked due to simply looking less impressive.

If you want to make the Dreamcast version even weirder, hit L and R during a fight. You will go into first person view.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

3 was amazing. The cabinet with the widescreen monitor really made it stand out. Everything looked so amazingly real. Too bad the DC port which I have isn't 100%.

But I thought VF4 was way better.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.