Brawlers and Beatemups
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Re: Let's Say I Want to Get Started in Fighting Games...

by marlowe221 Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Hehe... the advice is almost as overwhelming as the googling I was doing earlier....

Let me add this to the mix - I would like to start out going against the AI no matter what game(s) I start out with to avoid pain/frustration/embarrassment while I am getting the hang of the timing of the controls, etc. So a game with non-laughable AI (as good as it gets anyway) would be cool.

I'll play against human opponents eventually but I would like to reach at least some minimal level of competence first.

Both weapons and non-weapons games are interesting to me actually. I didn't even realize that was a sub-genre....
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Ghegs
64-bit

by Ghegs Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:10 pm

I would suggest starting VS. playing against other human players as soon as possible. If there's a fighting game scene locally, go to them. If you can find a friend to practice with, and who's at about the same skill level as you, that's the best.

Playing too much against the AI will only teach you bad habits you'll later have to unlearn when you start playing against human opponents.
My videos

Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 am

I faced a similar situation a couple years ago. After dozens of hours, I decided I didn't want to get super-into fighting games. It takes HARDCORE COMMITMENT; IMO you're best option is to just pick up something that looks fun and fool around with it.

Super Street Fighter IV is the current standard all other serious, modern fighters are measured against; it's a superbly-balanced game with plenty of online support. You can sink TONS of time into it and still find yourself losing to experts. I put in around 50 hours and only unlocked 350/1160 points of achievements and would still lose more than win on Xbox Live. Get yourself one of those fancy Madcatz tournament sticks and you'll be SET FOR QUITE A WHILE.

(When I tried to get into fighting games I started with the "classics" and worked my way up. This was insanely time consuming and I don't recommend it.)
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 am

marlowe221 wrote:Hehe... the advice is almost as overwhelming as the googling I was doing earlier....

Let me add this to the mix - I would like to start out going against the AI no matter what game(s) I start out with to avoid pain/frustration/embarrassment while I am getting the hang of the timing of the controls, etc. So a game with non-laughable AI (as good as it gets anyway) would be cool.

I'll play against human opponents eventually but I would like to reach at least some minimal level of competence first.

Both weapons and non-weapons games are interesting to me actually. I didn't even realize that was a sub-genre....

DO NOT FIGHT AI

They get you into really bad habits because of their poor abilities. Playing with a real person not only gets you used to the variables of personal style, it also increases your ability to play a million fold because those people usually give you tips and can point out where you are going wrong and what they can do to punish you.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

by EllertMichael Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:13 am

Ack wrote: Want to focus entirely on fighting boss-style creatures? Metamoqester.

Fixed :P

To OP: My advice would be to skip the inferior 16-bit ports for their Arcade counterparts. Saturn/PSX/Dreamcast/PS2 has plenty of Arcade perfect ports to keep you busy for a lifetime.
And of course the Neo Geo rules for fighting games and many AES games have "practice modes."

Don't forget, Racketboy is more than just a forum, it's also a great resource :wink: : http://www.racketboy.com/retro/fighting
Ack

by Ack Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 am

EllertMichael wrote:
Ack wrote: Want to focus entirely on fighting boss-style creatures? Metamoqester.

Fixed :P

To OP: My advice would be to skip the inferior 16-bit ports for their Arcade counterparts. Saturn/PSX/Dreamcast/PS2 has plenty of Arcade perfect ports to keep you busy for a lifetime.
And of course the Neo Geo rules for fighting games and many AES games have "practice modes."

Don't forget, Racketboy is more than just a forum, it's also a great resource :wink: : http://www.racketboy.com/retro/fighting

Having just played Metamoqester this weekend, I'd rather recommend Red Earth to someone new to the genre. That game is cheaper than a New York Subway crack whore.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
rufus777
16-bit

by rufus777 Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Last edited by rufus777 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 pm

The Soulcalibur series is a lot of fun. It's stylish and has plenty of depth, but it's uncommonly easy for beginners to learn. My personal favorite is Soulcalibur III, but they're all good.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Neomagicwarrior

by Neomagicwarrior Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:57 pm

The real question is what style of fighter you want to play. Soul Caliber is a far cry from Art of Fighting.

Oddly enough, If you would like to try 3d fighters, I'd suggest something from the Dead or Alive series. The attacks and counters are easy enough to pull off, but require decent timing. Tekken and Virtua Fighter are similar in concept here, but a little too prone to button mashing.

Street Fighter/King of Fighters are the standard for 2d fighting...if you want to learn 2d fighting, Try Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, and King of Fighters '98...both tournament staples.
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:28 am

The best way to develop your skills for fighters is to play with other people. Actually, that's the only way. You've gotta put yourself out there and learn to react to the unpredictable, and condition your opponent to react a certain way. Training mode is necessary as well, but no amount of training mode will teach you Yomi.

So, do you wanna play locally? Do you wanna play online with people of your skill level? Or do you wanna play with people online who have mastered the game and can share the knowledge?

Locally? It's going to depend on what people are playing. Probably SF4. I don't like the game, especially this late in the game where certain types of characters can turn the tide in their favor after just one knockdown, but anyway! If that's what people are playing, play that. If they are playing something else, play that instead... unless it's Smash or Marvel. More on that later.

Online with peers? SFxT 2013 is probably your best bet. Best online of this generation and a lot of players of all skill levels. Also try KOF98 on GGPO. GGPO is great, almost any computer can run KOF98, almost any PS3 or X360 controller will work on PC, and there's a ton of people of all skill levels all over the world playing KOF98.

Online with Masters? GGPO is the place to go. Super Street Fighter II Turbo on GGPO has a lot of big players. I can't vouch for them personally, but I'm sure a few are helpful. Vampire Savior on GGPO, on the other hand, I can vouch for. VERY friendly community, VERY helpful and welcoming to newcomers, and it's just a fun fun game that will teach you a lot of fighting game concepts quickly.

On to Smash and Marvel. These are very likely played in your area. However, these games will teach you next to nothing when it comes to most 2D fighters. They just... aren't the same beast. People who do well in Smash do well in Marvel, and vice versa, but when they go to traditional 2D fighters, it's like starting fresh. I'm not saying they are bad competitive games, just that they won't help you much in other areas.
Return to Fighters