Brawlers and Beatemups
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: The platform for 16-bit fighters

by CD AGES Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:10 am

I'll see your Samurai Shodown and raise you Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 2, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Primal Rage, TMNT: Tournament Fighters, Super Street Fighter II, and World Heroes, all of which were superior on the SNES. (I will admit that Ballz 3D and Shaq Fu are equally awesome on both consoles, however.)

I'm sorry, but you can't raise him SNES UMK3. The Genesis version IS the superior of the two 16 bit home carts, with less buggy, more stable gameplay, and more content in the form of battle stages (almost double the amount that are available on SNES). SNES UMK3 is a MAJOR disappointment (and this coming from a guy who owns both) on the platform ESPECIALLY when you considered how well standard MK3 turned out on the SNES compared to the terrible Genesis version. It was the reverse when UMK3 is concerned.

I will also throw in Fatal Fury Special, Fighter's History, Killer Instinct, MMPR: Fighting Edition, Power Instinct, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and World Heroes 2...none of which made it to the Genesis.

Umm... you are aware that II Turbo IS available in full in the Special Champion Edition Cart (exactly like how Champ Edition is available on the SNES Turbo Cart)...?

Also, the Genesis d-pad is not that great. I very much prefer the SNES d-pad for fighting games. (While it will blister your thumb after a while, it is much more accurate in my opinion.)

Well, on the flipside, the push buttons on the SNES pad are nowhere near the quality of the Genesis 6 pad. I've always had a major gripe with the face buttons on the SNES pad, ESPECIALLY when fighters are concerned. They just feels too mushy to me. Furthermore, i really dislike the concave design on the X and Y buttons on the pad. As a result, I've replaced the stock SNES pads with the better built interact model controllers which kinda look like SFC controllers.

It simply cannot compete with the SNES's fighters

I respectfully disagree. The 2 biggest most importantly played fighters during that time(II Dash Turbo and UMK3), perform better on the Genesis. You can have all the other fighting titles the SNES has over Genesis in terms of better ports and exclusives, but those 2 fighters alone make up for it.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:57 am

The official 6-button Genesis pad is such an incredibly nice pad. I prefer it slightly to the Saturn pad even.

It's the only controller I use on my Genesis. IIRC, they came stock with some Genesis models, so I'd say they if the US Model II Saturn pad counts in favor of the Saturn, the 6-button controller should count in favor of the Genesis.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:17 am

AppleQueso wrote:The official 6-button Genesis pad is such an incredibly nice pad. I prefer it slightly to the Saturn pad even.

It's the only controller I use on my Genesis. IIRC, they came stock with some Genesis models, so I'd say they if the US Model II Saturn pad counts in favor of the Saturn, the 6-button controller should count in favor of the Genesis.

Yeah, it's def is a solid built controller all around. I've actually JUST recently have been able to FINALLY own one and i've never used one prior believe it or not. My preowned Genesis i purchased back in the day came bundled with 2 new Majesco Genesis 3 Six button controllers which are good, but no where near the original 6 button pad in terms of quality now that i've finally gotten to use one. Other than that I mostly enjoy playing my fighters and beatemups on the console with a Capcom Pro Stick GS and/or a Capcom Pad Soldier.

Yeah, I thought they came stock with the Model 2 Genesis consoles???
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 am

The important thing all of you are forgetting is that the superior version of Shaq Fu is on the Game Boy, and with the Super Game Boy, I can play it on my SNES.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MyNameIsVince
64-bit

by MyNameIsVince Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:23 pm

I have 13 fighting games in my video game collection:

1 for the Gamecube
1 for the original Game Boy
2 for the Saturn
9 for the SNES

I think you know my answer to the thread topic...
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:56 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I'll see your Samurai Shodown and raise you Art of Fighting..., Fatal Fury 2..., Primal Rage, Super Street Fighter II, and World Heroes, all of which were superior on the SNES.

Neither console has very accurate (great) ports of these games in comparison to the arcade versions. There's still arguments for superiority of either consoles version, though. (Particularly with Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury 2, and World Heroes.)

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Fatal Fury

Hold up, the Genesis is arguably the better version here: Two-plane fighting, time-of-day stage transitions, higher quality cutscenes between matches, smoother gameplay. The SNES version really only has two more characters from the original roster, and a new (probably just as bad) bonus round.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Mortal Kombat II

I'd like to call attention to the 32X port again.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Mortal Kombat 3..., TMNT: Tournament Fighters

Granted

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I will also throw in Fatal Fury Special, Fighter's History, Killer Instinct, MMPR: Fighting Edition, Power Instinct, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and World Heroes 2...none of which made it to the Genesis.

SF II was already covered, but Fatal Fury Special is on the Sega CD, and Power Instinct is Gouketsuji Ichizoku on the JP Mega Drive.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Also, the Genesis d-pad is not that great. I very much prefer the SNES d-pad for fighting games. (While it will blister your thumb after a while, it is much more accurate in my opinion.)

I respectfully disagree. Diagonal inputs are significantly more laborious, and double-tap/held directions are very inaccurate with the SNES d-pad.

Okay, I can respect that there are a number of people here who really, really love the SNES, but let's at least be fair about this. Neither console is really home to killer ports of arcade fighters. I do think the SNES wins on console exclusive fighters, but in a great many cases, the Genesis fared better with translations from the arcade in areas not involving graphical polish. Still, with arcade ports to 16-bit home console hardware, it's not so cut and dry as, "This port/console is better." (Unless we're talking about the AES.)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:57 pm

I am not going to argue with CD AGES. That guy knows his stuff when it comes to fighting games. :lol:

EDIT: I will say, however, that playing some of the best Genesis arcade ports requires obtaining: (1) a six-button control pad; (2) a Sega CD; and (3) a 32X. All of the SNES games games that I listed can be played - and played well - on standard hardware and using the pack-in controller.
marurun

by marurun Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I'll see your Samurai Shodown and raise you Art of Fighting ... Fatal Fury 2 ... Fatal Fury Special ... World Heroes 2

And I will offer that the PC Engine Arcade CD-ROM versions of these 4 titles kill the SNES and Genesis ports hands down.

Several folks have brought up that the SNES has a 6-button pad included, but IMO it is the worst fighting game pad possible. I always found the d-pad inadequate and the L and R buttons hard to adequately use in play.

AppleQueso wrote:The official 6-button Genesis pad is such an incredibly nice pad. I prefer it slightly to the Saturn pad even.

Whoa, whoa... Let's not be hasty, here. It is a very good pad, but I have to disagree on it beating the Saturn pad. And I would actually consider the NEC Avenue Pad 6 for the PC Engine to be almost as nice as the Genesis 6 button pad.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:02 pm

SNES by far. Great library of fighters and the best controller.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:20 am

marurun wrote:

Whoa, whoa... Let's not be hasty, here. It is a very good pad, but I have to disagree on it beating the Saturn pad. And I would actually consider the NEC Avenue Pad 6 for the PC Engine to be almost as nice as the Genesis 6 button pad.

I agree. The Genesis 6-button controller is marvelous and all, but it's pretty hard to contend with the Saturn pad for 2D. If we're talking about the Japanese 6-button pad, then, maybe--.
Return to Fighters