Keyboard VS Arcade stick

Brawlers and Beatemups
turbolegs
24-bit

Keyboard VS Arcade stick

Post by turbolegs »

Hey everyone,

I just wondered what peoples thoughts were on using a keyboard instead of a traditional arcade stick. I have been playing this way for a while and I find the moves come out so much more consistently.

Is this considered cheating or bad practice at tournament level? Not that i'm even remotely good enough, just curious.

- turbo
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Keyboard VS Arcade stick

Post by Erik_Twice »

I don't think any fighting game is played at tournaments using computers, since consoles are easier to obtain so I doubt you can use a keyboard even if you were allowed to :lol:

Most will agree that using a keyboard is worse than using a stick, though.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
turbolegs
24-bit

Post by turbolegs »

Yeah I figured it wasn't common. Also, i'm by no means attempting to enter a tournament :lol:

I have seen some pretty cool arcade sticks over at shoryuken that use all buttons, e.g the hitbox and some others that use directional arrows for movement. I was curious as to how these were perceived within the fighting community. I couldn't find much out over there.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I could see it being similar to the Hit Box controllers maybe, if like those, you practiced up with it.

I've not usually cared for keyboard control for fighters when I've wound up using it though.
turbolegs
24-bit

Post by turbolegs »

Yeah I think it probably feels quite similar to a hit box. I'm just now thinking I might actually prefer the layout because i'm left handed and this way, my movement speed is lightning fast as a result of the arrow key placement.
Last edited by turbolegs on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Sticks definitely require a learning curve. I don't know very many people who are really good at using a stick the first time they try one.
turbolegs
24-bit

Post by turbolegs »

AppleQueso wrote:Sticks definitely require a learning curve. I don't know very many people who are really good at using a stick the first time they try one.

I agree. I spent some time trying to adapt from pads but it was infuriating.

I think I might hook up an old keyboard to some nice Sanwa buttons and see what comes out.
Last edited by turbolegs on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

I can't imagine doing all the semi circle motions on a keyboard, but I am sure it works for some. It took a while to get used to an arcade stick. Now I could never go back to a regular controller for fighters. Tearing up my thumb on the PlayStation d-pad and still having half my inputs not work is not fun.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

ZenErik wrote:I can't imagine doing all the semi circle motions on a keyboard, but I am sure it works for some. It took a while to get used to an arcade stick. Now I could never go back to a regular controller for fighters. Tearing up my thumb on the PlayStation d-pad and still having half my inputs not work is not fun.

I'm the opposite; w/ a stick, half the the time I'm either ducking or jumping randomly. Ugh.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

I have always loved playing with arcade sticks since the old arcade days
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739