Street Fighter III love (As iN New Generation or just THREE)

Brawlers and Beatemups
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter III love (As iN New Generation or just TH

Post by CD AGES »

When I say NG is a purer experence than 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike I mean that it's a more barebones basic, to the point experience. No EX, Regular throws (Which 2nd Impact did have) A good Base Roster that at least to me doesn't seem too unbalanced (Though I understand Sean is top Teir in NG)

Barebones is the def the word to describe NG. And while I do understand what your getting at with your statement, the truth of the matter is that the game is WAY too basic by the standards that were already established within the genre (and even within its very own franchise) when the game released. No Personal Actions (taunts), Absolutely NO throw defense options (Throw softening, throw techs etc), no chaining of Jabs and Short attacks (for goodness sake, even World Warrior had this!). Quite franky, New Gen as a fighting game feels more like an act of testing the waters than a complete package and I suppose that's OK considering the new hardware, and the bold new direction the the series was going, under the talents of new a development team within Capcom. You saw the video link I provided? how can you even say that it doesn't appear too unbalanced after seeing that shit :lol: There is a reason why "2nd Impact Giant Attack" came out only a few months after New Gen established itself into the scene.

Just to be clear I don't thing NG is BETTER than than 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike, I think each iteration of SF III has it's own up sides and downsides. But New Generation doesn't get enough love, which was the whole point.

And just to be clear, I'm not hating on New Gen. I'm just tellin' it like it is. But that doesn't mean I don't get what your intentions are with this thread. with that said, I love Double/World Impact on Dreamcast because I simply enjoy playing New Gen and 2nd Impact! It's easily one of the top reason why anyone should consider purchasing a Dreamcast. Absolutely amazing looking backgrounds, more vibrant colors, more fluid frames of animation and an art direction by the likes of the legendary duo of Akiman and Kinu Nishimura that is simply breathtaking. Yeah, I prefer 3rd Strike and consider it the best of the trio in terms of refinement, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the games which contributed to its greatness.

Pride...Power...Speed...Concentration... YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmbSk02g ... C9479BD911

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmbSk02g ... C9479BD911
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

Well yeah In High Level play retarded infineites can be an issue but for casuals like me who only use two buttons It's not a huge issue and the basic bare bones nature of New Generation is good for people new to the Series to pick up and play, it's up for debate wither or not Capcom Intended for there to be 3 versions of Street Fighter III or if 2nd Impact was what they wanted the whole time and just rushed III out to test the waters.

But at the end of the Day Street Fighter III just gets brushed aside after Capcom over saturated their own franchise.

Something they TOTALLY AREN'T DOING NOW.................
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

up for debate wither or not Capcom Intended for there to be 3 versions of Street Fighter III or if 2nd Impact was what they wanted the whole time and just rushed III out to test the waters.

The proof is in the details. New Gen def gives off the impression that there was still room for both expansion and improvements. 2nd Impacts release only mere months after New Gen is also a good indicator that New Gen was perhaps released in its state as a means to simply gauge the reactions of the player base with the brand new cast and perhaps see how well the new parry system mechanic is adaopted by fighting game community.
But at the end of the Day Street Fighter III just gets brushed aside after Capcom over saturated their own franchise.

Well this isn't news at all, and you make it sould like New Gen is the only victim of this. The same can be said for other titles that were once in the same position as New Gen. Alpha Warriors Dreams, II World Warriors, Cap Vs SNK. Nobody talks about these games let alone seriously go back to play them, but that's just the nature of the beast. Just keep playing New Gen and enjoy it much like I do without worrying why it got lost in the shuffle amongst many. I still play all these games mentioned just for fun and nostalgia. Except for Alpha. That game was a piece of shit rush job.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

I meant Street Fighter III as a whole. 3rd Strike in time got love but well after it's initial release.

About Alpha 1. YES it is a rush job and there's really no reason to play it But I do like the stages in it and the solid non stair life bar. Yeah really nothing can redeem Alpha 1.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

TheRev wrote:I meant Street Fighter III as a whole. 3rd Strike in time got love but well after it's initial release.

About Alpha 1. YES it is a rush job and there's really no reason to play it But I do like the stages in it and the solid non stair life bar. Yeah really nothing can redeem Alpha 1.

Yeah, but like you said, it def took time before 3S started to gain any notable recognition. I know this all too well. I was playing 3S WAY before it was even popular. Circa 2000 and beyond via the college campus arcade. At that time, no even touched the 3S cabinet on campus. Everyone flocked to CV2, and Marvel 2. I t only took my first year in college for that to slowly change due to how active I was in playing the game as I was still learning myself, as outside school, a good friend of mine was helping to elevate the game in our state by throwing biweekly tournaments at various arcade locations and sharing technology to propley play the game at least in an intermediate level.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

My copy of 3rd Strike on Dreamcast the one I initally had was a Japanese Copy same with W Impact so I had them months maybe even at least a year before the US Dreamcast releases. I remember talking about the game with the Late Kao Magera about how to unlock everything.

But I don't actually remember the Day I got 3rd Strike like I do W Impact. UPS Dude brings it to my door. I run up to my room It was a Thursday right around this time of year too, I hook it up to my TV and pop in W Impact play 2nd Impact first and I pick Akuma/Gouki and my first opponent was Oro. It was aweinspiring. Few fighters wowed me like SF III did. Guilty Gear X did, King of Fighter XIII (12 was half assed and should never have been released, and we all know this) did but that's about it.