Brawlers and Beatemups
TheRev
128-bit

Street Fighter III love (As iN New Generation or just THREE)

by TheRev Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 pm

In 2000 I had some money I got from the Estate of my Great Grandmother that's a mess of stories but long story short upon finding out That Street Fighter III was coming to the Dreamcast I bought a modded US System from...Buy Rite (yeah they sucked but they only burned me once) JUST to play SFIII. That Dreamcast died and for years I have been unable to play it and 3rd strike, they don't play nice with the Gameshark boot method. BUT last week I managed to burn the Street Fighter III Triple Impact disc and FINALLY I can play the Dreamcast versions of SF III once again.

So I've been playing more than anything New Generation. And there's just something about it that the other 2 SFIII's don't have the touches to some of the stages, the transition in Elena's stage between Round 1 and 2. The Hellish abyss that is Gill's Stage and how different Yun/Yang Play from the way they do in 3rd Strike. Not to mention the Different Super Arts. And there's the whole It looks amazing on the Dreamcast. OH and the Music is totally different from what 3rd strike or for that matter any other Street Fighter game had too.

Anyone else here feel that the Original incarnation of SFIII doesn't get enough love?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter III love (As iN New Generation or just TH

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:46 am

Agreed. Third Strike has been ported to multiple systems, but I had the most fun in the arcade with the original SFIII. I still need to add any version of the game to my DC collection, but since I already have Third Strike on my PS2 and Xbox versions of SF Collection, I would like to add the disc with New Generation and Double Impact first.
TheRev
128-bit

by TheRev Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:24 am

The Dreamcast 3rd Strike does have subtle differences from the PS2 and XBOX versions.
and for some reason SFIII just looks at it's best on the Dreamcast. 3rd Strike or otherwise.

I actually Played 2nd impact first before I played New Generation but New Generation is what I keep going back to. We don't tend to notice but each version of SF III was different than others SSFIV and AE aren't Radically different from SF IV other than the shit ton of new characters and extra Ultras. But SF III added so much in 2nd Impact and 3rd strike some for better some for worse. I still prefer the traditional throw in NG and 2nd Impact over the two button grab in 3rd Strike and Alpha 3.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 am

I managed to burn the Street Fighter III Triple Impact disc and FINALLY I can play the Dreamcast versions of SF III once again.

You mean "Triple Threat"? If so, I actually contributed a bit to the compilation via the games entire command list feature (personally tested and fully corrected all info providing perhaps a completely corrected command list for the enitre III series) as well as doing some last minute playtesting on an earlier build thanks to comradesnarky. I also wrote an in depth review for the game via the groups blog.

http://rdcproject.blogspot.com/2012/09/ ... eview.html

I'm pretty proud of the group for the way the entire project turned out for them.

And there's just something about it that the other 2 SFIII's don't have the touches to some of the stages

In terms of visuals, Yes! But that's about it in terms of what New Gen offers over its successor 3rd Strike. Gameplay wise, it's VERY unpolished. Yes the music feel radically different but also pretty good in its own right for sure.

The Dreamcast 3rd Strike does have subtle differences from the PS2 and XBOX versions. and for some reason SFIII just looks at it's best on the Dreamcast. 3rd Strike or otherwise.

More like MAJOR differences from the other ports, unfortunately speaking. The DC port is based on a final revision that attempted to further balance the game much to the disapproval of the player base. As a result, 3S on DC is the least desired port by serious 3S players.
The DC version is superior to the other console ports in terms of visuals as it can run in the same resolution as CPS3 arcade.

but each version of SF III was different than others SSFIV and AE aren't Radically different from SF IV other than the shit ton of new characters and extra Ultras.

I wouldn't go that far, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't take SFIV seriously.
TheRev
128-bit

by TheRev Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:45 am

The Beast Unleashed? Forget that this is far more impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfAPJBR-2l8

Can't do that in 3rd Strike

There are other things about SF III I left out. Like how EGM made such a huge deal out of it and every month I waited for a new issue just to learn more about game I wouldn't beable to play for another 3 years as no arcade in my area had SF III NG. I even went to London and visted several large arcades there...no SF III but I did get to play a VERY early version of Tekken 3.

Also I left out the impressive background warping when ever you did a Super Art, 2nd Impact just made it a bunch of fast lines and there was no effect in 3rd Strike.

You can say NG is unpolished, I say it's, a Purer experience than the 2 that followed.
the only complaint I have is that Akuma and Chun Li should have been in SF III since New Generation.

Oh speaking of the DC 3rd Strike, it only has the Arranged themes themes the PS2 and XBOX Port has the arranged and Arcade themes. Also the music doesn't flow between rounds like it does in the PS2/XBOX version. Sadly the Music stops between rounds extends to 3rd Strike online. A Port I'm honestly not too fond of.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:39 pm

The Beast Unleashed? Forget that this is far more impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfAPJBR-2l8
Can't do that in 3rd Strike

Shit's TAS. Of course its gonna look impressive :lol:

Also I left out the impressive background warping when ever you did a Super Art, 2nd Impact just made it a bunch of fast lines and there was no effect in 3rd Strike.

I actually prefer the SA effect on 2nd Impact over New Gen's. Truth be told I prefer 2nd Impact in general over New Gen.
You can say NG is unpolished, I say it's, a Purer experience than the 2 that followed.

I did say it is because it is :lol: If you feel otherwise, that's cool, goodtimes. but the game def lacks refinement. and this isn't tool assited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXahM5xo ... _C-joCRfHg
These loops can be done by a novice :|
BTW, how is New Gen a "purer" experience than its successors? please elaborate on such statement?
Oh speaking of the DC 3rd Strike, it only has the Arranged themes themes the PS2 and XBOX Port has the arranged and Arcade themes. Also the music doesn't flow between rounds like it does in the PS2/XBOX version.

There are more pressing issues concerning the DC port than the lack of an arcade soundtrack and proper track transitioning between rounds. If such a minor detail is an issue for ya than look for the "Arcade Edition" ISO and play that on your DC. At least the former is solved for ya.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nola4LYh ... xDSEbPVv8O
d123456
Next-Gen

by d123456 Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Indeed ng and 2nd impact deserve more love.
I like the more colorful hud and stages in the first 2
I should get a dc again!
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
marurun

by marurun Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:10 pm

CD AGES wrote:
The Dreamcast 3rd Strike does have subtle differences from the PS2 and XBOX versions. and for some reason SFIII just looks at it's best on the Dreamcast. 3rd Strike or otherwise.

More like MAJOR differences from the other ports, unfortunately speaking. The DC port is based on a final revision that attempted to further balance the game much to the disapproval of the player base. As a result, 3S on DC is the least desired port by serious 3S players.

But why does the player base not like those changes? Did Capcom bungle the balance attempt or was it that the players were already too used to the way it was and simply didn't want anything changing?

I'm never gonna be tournament savvy, so as long as DC 3S plays well on its own I'm happy.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 pm

But why does the player base not like those changes? Did Capcom bungle the balance attempt or was it that the players were already too used to the way it was and simply didn't want anything changing?

I'm never gonna be tournament savvy, so as long as DC 3S plays well on its own I'm happy.

Capcom's attempt to fix the game simply made things more unbalanced. Changes include slight change in parry timing, damage output properties, and altered hitboxes on some attacks for the cast. The biggest change to the revision is the removal of unblockable situations involving the use of over lapping hit boxes. For the most part this affects 2 characters in the roster, Oro, and Urien. This change basically makes them ineffective against some of the stronger cast members. The Beta release of the Dreamcast version at the very least doesn't suffer from this major fix. RDC's Arcade Edition release further contributes by restoring the games original CPSIII soundtracck.
TheRev
128-bit

by TheRev Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm

When I say NG is a purer experence than 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike I mean that it's a more barebones basic, to the point experience. No EX, Regular throws (Which 2nd Impact did have) A good Base Roster that at least to me doesn't seem too unbalanced (Though I understand Sean is top Teir in NG)

Just to be clear I don't thing NG is BETTER than than 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike, I think each iteration of SF III has it's own up sides and downsides. But New Generation doesn't get enough love, which was the whole point.
Return to Fighters