Favorite Obscure fighters?

Brawlers and Beatemups
TheRev
128-bit

Favorite Obscure fighters?

Post by TheRev »

Never seemed to go mainstream though in my world it is..

The World Heroes Series. Thinly veiled historical figures in an all out brawl fighting for money from a very thinly veiled Doc Brown.

So not only is it an awesome fighter...it's also an unofficial Back to the Future Sequel.

Best version is Perfect on the Saturn, Only version where Zeus is playable.

Yours?
Last edited by TheRev on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Obscure fighters?

Post by sevin0seven »

something tells me....

...Ballz fighting, bouncing, exploding, jiggling...

.....ye..a...h.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
SNKnicotine
128-bit

Post by SNKnicotine »

BlazeBlu (PS3)- Beautifully rendered warriors in lush detailed backgrounds. Although this is a fighting game, it is far from the usual boring button mashers. For my PS3 brothers in search of an awesome game this is a must!

Waku Waku7 (Saturn)-An import title that never made it state side, Waku Waku 7 is a wacky colorful fighter, with a roster of 9 unique Characters. Although the roster may not be as big as normally accustomed to, mastering a character is no easy feat. This title really pushes the Saturn (and the 5mb expansion ram card) to its limit.

SNK's Battle colosium (PS2)- Like KOF but grittier and with a better character series roster (IMO). This game is Lots of fun with new characters and impressive sprite designed only improved by a superb sound track .( Only downside of this game is that they DIDN'T INCLUDE NICOTINE!!!! :evil: )
Klassic PlastiK @ youtube.com/KlassicplastiK
Currently playing:Super Smash bros.(4)(3DS/WiiU)
Currently reading: Batman: Death of a Family
AppleQueso wrote:You can't even pronounce "RPG" or "FPS" like you can "Shmup"
Arpuhguh? Fffpiss? Bah!
"Shmup" is far more elegant!
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

BlazBlue is a bit mainstream to count, Same with Neo Geo Battle Coliseum which is more or less SVC Chaos 2. NOW as far as Obscure Ark System works fighters go... Sengoku Basara X. Great Fighter from Capcom/Ark System works, but it's not simply Dynasty Warriors clone in Fighting game form. It's much much more than that.

Waku Waku 7 like my pick World Heroes is a Neo Geo Game. There is also a version for the PS2. See ALSO- It's Sequel Astra Superstars.

BALLZ- Due to emulation errors I've never been able to play it.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ive always enjoyed Joy Mech Fight for the NES. Its not a good fighter, but its neat concept. Arm Joe on the PC is the best book to game conversion ever. And who doesnt love, Jackie Chan: Fist of Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpC1nmh80ow
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Not sure where this lies in the obscure relm, but I love MK Trilogy. I played the crap out of MK2 and UMK3 as a kid, and Trilogy felt like a pipe dream come true at the time. I know MK isn't exactly obscure, but I don't really recall Trilogy getting much love.

I am also a pretyt big fan of some of the DBZ fighters, as I was a huge DBZ junkie as a kid. Ultimate Battle 22 was the one my friends and I managed to find, back before they were localized, and we played the crap out of it. Once I got a ps2, I picked up the Budokai games as they came out. The first game was pretty lacking, the 2nd started to get there, but Budokai 3 really struck it with me. I put hundreds of hours into that game.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Well...no one has done it yet; so, I will link to this article:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/fighting/the-best-undiscovered-2d-fighters

Although the Ballz 3D coverage is a bit lacking, Ack pretty well killed it with this one.
deathsled
128-bit

Post by deathsled »

I figured this was a good excuse to bring up Arm Joe, lol
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

fastbilly1 wrote:Ive always enjoyed Joy Mech Fight for the NES. Its not a good fighter, but its neat concept. Arm Joe on the PC is the best book to game conversion ever. And who doesnt love, Jackie Chan: Fist of Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpC1nmh80ow

The game that's so bad it's good.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Well...no one has done it yet; so, I will link to this article:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/fighting/the-best-undiscovered-2d-fighters

Although the Ballz 3D coverage is a bit lacking, Ack pretty well killed it with this one.

And there are games mentioned here that aren't in the article. And I would Hardly call Samurai Shodown Undiscovered. Besides KOF it's probably SNK's most mainstream series.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

TheRev wrote:And there are games mentioned here that aren't in the article. And I would Hardly call Samurai Shodown Undiscovered. Besides KOF it's probably SNK's most mainstream series.

I know. I just wanted to link it so that we don't get too much overlap in your thread.

One game that I will add is:

This game was, and is, very fun, and I have heard that the sequel - which was not released in the U.S. - is even better.