Brawlers and Beatemups
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by Menegrothx Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 pm

CD AGES wrote:Ugly!? The game looks fantastic even by today standards especially when compared with laer releases in the genre utilizing 3D like Gekido for example.

OP wrote:Since I like cartoony 2D graphics with vibrant colors, 8 bit and many Genesis&SNES games are out of the question, but I'll also have to rule out all new games that use 2.5D/3D graphics.

Well, I guess Dreamcast doesn't count as new, but basically what I meant was all PS1/Dreamcast+Later games that have that 3D look instead of the cartoony 2D look that many of those Saturn beat em ups had are out of the question. D&D collection, Three Dirty Dwarves, Guardian Heroes and Pu-Li-Ru-La etc
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
User avatar
CD AGES
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by CD AGES Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I see. Well don't limit yourself so much to only 2D beatemups. Man I wish DemolishFist came out on a console :(
mjmjr25
 

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by mjmjr25 Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:20 pm

CD AGES wrote:I see. Well don't limit yourself so much to only 2D beatemups. Man I wish DemolishFist came out on a console :(


I have Demolish Fist on a console :) (shameless plug, but yr right, it is such a great game) In my top 5 i've played the last 3-4 years, maybe top 3.

@OP - Spinmaster does have co-op and it is super fun, not a beat-em-up though, its run n' gun. If you have an AES already, the AES version is only another $60 more than the MVS. Or maybe i misread, you already have a converter anyways, so just prefer the cheaper of the two.

As for 2D SAT ones similar to the ones you listed.
Tenchi Wo Kurau II
Nekketsu Oyako
Crows the Battle Action (similar artstyle to River City Ransom, but w/intricate move sets)
Final Fight Revenge
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by Menegrothx Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:@OP - Spinmaster does have co-op and it is super fun, not a beat-em-up though, its run n' gun. If you have an AES already, the AES version is only another $60 more than the MVS. Or maybe i misread, you already have a converter anyways, so just prefer the cheaper of the two.

As for 2D SAT ones similar to the ones you listed.
Tenchi Wo Kurau II
Nekketsu Oyako
Crows the Battle Action (similar artstyle to River City Ransom, but w/intricate move sets)
Final Fight Revenge

Yeah like I said Metal Slug type run n' gun games are just as welcome as long as they have co-op and a good artstyle, so if you know any good run 'n gun games that fit the bill, let me know.
I just recently got myself a Japanese AES, I haven't got MVS to AES converter yet. I thought that Spinmaster is MVS only but looks like I was wrong. I checked eBay and I saw the AES version for 400 dollars, but the MVS version is 80-100 dollars. Any suggestions where I can find the AES version cheaper?

Thanks for the suggestions, out of that bunch Tenchi Wo Kurau II looks the best, judging by screenshots.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
mjmjr25
 

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by mjmjr25 Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Spinmaster AES does about $110-140 on neo geo forums. A copy sold on ebay for $140 and shipping in January:
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R4 ... te=1&rt=nc

MVS does about $60 on Spinmaster.

My advice if you don't have a converter yet, would be to get a CMVS, the Omega CMVS is about twice the price of decent converter, and the Analogue Interactive is about 3x the price.

The converters are an incredibly tight connection on top of looking rather silly (imo) when plugged in.

With the exception of a handful of very rares, the prices aren't as drastic as one would suggest, particularly when you factor in the cost of a case and artwork for your MVS cart, and the AES carts are typically in better condition.
User avatar
CD AGES
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by CD AGES Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:25 am

mjmjr25 wrote:
CD AGES wrote:I see. Well don't limit yourself so much to only 2D beatemups. Man I wish DemolishFist came out on a console :(


I have Demolish Fist on a console :) (shameless plug, but yr right, it is such a great game) In my top 5 i've played the last 3-4 years, maybe top 3

As for 2D SAT ones similar to the ones you listed.
Tenchi Wo Kurau II
Nekketsu Oyako
Crows the Battle Action (similar artstyle to River City Ransom, but w/intricate move sets)
Final Fight Revenge


Yes! Demolishfist is a very fun beatemup. Used to play it a lot at the local arcade.

Wait a sec! Isn't Final Fight Revenge 3D based? And more importantly, isn't it a Fighter?
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by Menegrothx Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:55 am

mjmjr25 wrote:My advice if you don't have a converter yet, would be to get a CMVS, the Omega CMVS is about twice the price of decent converter, and the Analogue Interactive is about 3x the price.

The converters are an incredibly tight connection on top of looking rather silly (imo) when plugged in.

With the exception of a handful of very rares, the prices aren't as drastic as one would suggest, particularly when you factor in the cost of a case and artwork for your MVS cart, and the AES carts are typically in better condition

CMVS is too expensive for me at the moment, and quite frankly I'm not sure if I want to mess around with 2 different consoles every time I play Neo Geo. I'm sure it makes more sense in your case as you have a big Neo Geo collection, but I can't really afford to start properly collecting for the system at the moment. There are only two games I'm looking to buy for Neo Geo at the moment: a MVS multi cart that has a lot of expensive fighters in it, and a Spinmaster. I'd have 1 MVS game and 2 AES games after that, so I don't feel like it's enough to justify getting another system. I might start later on collecting AES games properly, but at the moment it's out of the question.
As long as the MVS to AES converter doesn't do any damage to the system (like some Sega Saturn cartridges ruin the cartridge port, or so I've heard), I don't really mind.

If the price difference between a boxed AES copy and loose MVS copy isn't that big, like in this case it isn't, I will rather pay the extra money so I can get a boxed AES copy.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
mjmjr25
 

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by mjmjr25 Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:38 pm

@CD, yeah, too many thoughts colliding when posting before bed. Was off on a tangent in my head where I was going to list the quality Blastman and FF series, and then...went to SAT-J. Anyways, yeah, FF Revenge is either a superb 3D fighter or a miserable 3D fighter, depending on the day. The graphics can appear blocky and lining up an opponent seems a bit unnatural, but still has a lot of charm the 3D fighters on N64 didn't have, for sure.

@ OP, gotcha, the only thing i'd caution, and maybe things have changed, the only 2 coverters i've had for MVS-->AES were the phantom 1 and phantom 2, both were in the $200 ballpark, and both were INCREDIBLY tight pin connectors. I'd def try to hold one in your hand and put a cart in and out a couple times to see if it's something you'd wnat to do. I know some guys swear by 'em, but just wasn't for me. They are reliable and will play almost all MVS games (a couple were incompatible with those iirc). But if you've pulled a NES cart out of one of those clone systems, i'd say it is significantly tighter than that, you may not damage the cart or system, but it sure feels like yr going to.
User avatar
CD AGES
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by CD AGES Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:36 am

mjmjr25 wrote:@CD, yeah, too many thoughts colliding when posting before bed. Was off on a tangent in my head where I was going to list the quality Blastman and FF series, and then...went to SAT-J. Anyways, yeah, FF Revenge is either a superb 3D fighter or a miserable 3D fighter, depending on the day. The graphics can appear blocky and lining up an opponent seems a bit unnatural, but still has a lot of charm the 3D fighters on N64 didn't have, for sure.


Just checking :lol: I've played the game before, but you appear to own a copy so I thought perhaps you knew something about the game that I didn't like say some unlockable beatemup side game ala Tekken 3's Tekken Force Mode. Now that would be awesome!
Ivo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3627
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Looking for nice co-op beat em ups

by Ivo Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 am

I read the thread but I may have missed it: is there a reason you won't consider more recent stuff like:

Alien Hominid
Castle Crashers
Scott Pilgrim vs the World

I think those would all fit well with your goals?

Ivo.
Return to Fighters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests