Looking to get into Fighters

Brawlers and Beatemups
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Looking to get into Fighters

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

Well the other day I was playing Genesis with my roommate and he asked to play SF2. So I put it in and got my rear end kicked. As I kept losing I realized that I have never been into fighters that much. This being that I never got into gaming hardcore until the Xbox released. So, I am looking for good fighters to get into playing as well as tips to become better at Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat (mainly MK2). Also, What is the best and affordable arcade pad, or stick, for a newbie to get? Thanks!
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Looking to get into Fighters

Post by flojocabron »

When it comes to fighting games, there is always someone better than you. And they are eager to kick some ass.

Its not a matter of you being a crappy player, but of others that have learned every subtle trick, glitch and move.

Some have played the game since it came out in the arcades. They know all the players strengths and weaknesses.

Many hours of practice at home have been done to impress rivals at the arcade.

There is an unspoken code that many players use, "Use your learned moves, and no button mashing".

That's why some button mashers (aka noobs) infuriate hardcore players. Its not that its a bad thing, its just that other people haven't learned the moves yet.

This also brings another important factor into fighting games, 'player accessibility'

A game may be deemed too simple by hardcore fans while the same game would be too hard for the average beginner.

That's why we have that age old saying "practice makes perfect"
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

You might consider a newer game rather than an older one. Reason being that many/most of the newer fighters have tutorials and/or challenge modes that are effectively tutorials. So instead of having a short description in the manual about how the parry system works, or how the super meter works, the game sets you up with a practice scenario and makes you do it.

At the very least, running through that stuff makes you realize how much of the game's mechanics you know (or don't).

Pick a game and character and learn 'em. I'd suggest maybe Super Street Fighter IV: AE and Ryu. The game is inexpensive, and has plenty to help you learn. The characters and systems are similar enough to most of the other Capcom games that it shouldn't be too hard to adapt to 'em.
Ryu, as a shoto, has one of the most emulated set of special moves - learn his stuff, and you'll likely find a character in nearly any 2D fighter that's not too awkward to pick up.

Usually the best deal out there for modern sticks/pads is watching for when Mad Catz changes the branding on their peripherals, since the outgoing ones are usually market down a lot. I bought some of their WWE branded sticks for $20 apiece, pads for $10.
Right now, the sticks are still around but not as cheap. I think you can get the better stick they make with several different brandings for $100. Cheaper than usual, but not cheap.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

it's good you have a rival, training in fighting games is cool, at least it was a good experience for me.

any game you choose is fine, just have to get into the habit of picking up the "meta" of fighting games, once you learn a few it shouldn't take long to adapt to other fighters in a decent amount of time.

pick a character, get comfortable with the moves. i honestly wouldnt worry about picking a "noob" fighter or even a "noob" character, fighting games have so much depth that it is kind of arbitrary for a beginner to pick someone just because they're bare boned. it doesn't really make a difference.

let's say you're playing street fighter, and you pick ryu. if you're a real noob, you might have problems doing something like a shoryuken motion. Or if you're Guile, and you realize you're pretty bad at doing his charge moves (or his super in SF2 which a lot of casual players can't do). Obvious thing is to practice those moves.

When you get comfortable performing the special and super moves, move on to combos. Combos is just muscle memory, but look at combos as fighting with a gun. Since you don't know any combos, you're basically fighting with your bare fist, you're just doing 1 hit strikes, very little damage. That means in order to beat an opponent who knows combos, you have to hit them way more times than they hit you.

Then obviously, you have to learn how to land combos on moving/fighting opponents. That just comes from practice. It'll be frustrating, but after awhile you'll get the hang of it. You can always play the computer, but personally, when I learn a character I need to play against humans (which is easier in this age, due to online play, several years ago during the PS2 era which is when I played, not so much).

From there, just read guides and stuff. If you really like the game, you'll find it interesting reading all the strategies and tricks that were discovered about your character. Watch videos of pros playing too if you need inspiration or want to have an idea on how good you can be, or what type of strategy you should be aiming for.

You'll eventually learn things like spacing, poking, tick throws, etc, but that all comes with time.
tintinmayo
24-bit

Post by tintinmayo »

You need to find a water-proof GBA and a Street-Fighter 2 Turbo Revival cart, then use it to practice under a waterfall. Otherwise, you should just go home and be a family man.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

All I gotta say is jump right in. Play Virtua Fighter. It is cheap, it is complex and is seriously the best 3D fighter out there. A lot of people complain about the game, only because they have been hardwired to the Street Fighter strain of thought. If you are starting from scratch, you can learn these mechanics with ease and it won't impair your later learnings in the Street Fighter game mechanics.

Plus, we have been playing it every sunday night at 9 PM EST here at Racketboy for this month.

If you want to prepare for next month..we are most likely gonna do SkullGirls, another great 2D fighter that is still gathering popularity.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
johnny turbo
24-bit

Post by johnny turbo »

Make sure to pick up a 3DO and grab Ballz directors cut.
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

johnny turbo wrote:Make sure to pick up a 3DO and grab Ballz directors cut.

I actually have a 3DO already lol. I'll watch some gameplay then go eBay searching for it. Thanks!
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
marurun

Post by marurun »

TheSegaSaturnGuy wrote:
johnny turbo wrote:Make sure to pick up a 3DO and grab Ballz directors cut.

I actually have a 3DO already lol. I'll watch some gameplay then go eBay searching for it. Thanks!

No, ignore the troll under the bridge. Avoid any and all Ballz games at all costs or be forever ruined to fighting games. : )
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Ballz is sort of a meta-meme around here. Don't waste your time with it other than for some laughs.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.