Microsoft has announced that KI trademark has been renewed.

Brawlers and Beatemups
irixith
Next-Gen

Re: Microsoft has announced that KI trademark has been renew

Post by irixith »

If it didn't have the words "Killer Instinct" and you removed the announcer this would look like just some generic fighting game. The original Killer Instinct was a technological leap and breakthrough. Innovations such as advanced computer modeling and fully rendered characters from head to toe is what gave KI its style and flair.

This however, has no style. It doesn't look inventive at all, and ontop of what I watched in this "tech demo" this could easily run on an Xbox 360.

#Disappointing

That's the current top comment on the video -- and I agree. Looks like nothing particularly special. Plenty of time between now and November of course, but that doesn't exactly look significantly upgraded over what we've got already under our televisions.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

New Jago Combo Montage video released!

http://youtu.be/hSZlxVMvj8M

Pretty damn sweet! I'm really diggin' Jago's new design very much.
Ack

Post by Ack »

CD AGES wrote:New Jago Combo Montage video released!

I'm reall diggin' that Microsoft Studios used Epic Mickey to design their logo!
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

More info:

UULLLLTRRRAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The first time most of us heard it, we’d just pedaled to the local bowling alley, pizza parlor or arcade. The moment you opened the door, through the din of colliding pins or pinball bells, a booming announcer’s voice screamed, “COOOOMMMMMBOOOO BREEEAAAAKKEEEERRRRR!”
Today, at Galen Center, we got to relive those moments as Microsoft announced an all new Killer Instinct, developed by Double Helix, would be available as a launch title for Xbox One.
The announcement showcased three completely redesigned characters already familiar to fans of the franchise. Jago, clad in shredded tapestries and ropes that evoke his monastic background, went head to head with an all new Sabrewulf, bristling with hypodermics, but free of the cybernetic augmentation he sported in past installments. Also making an appearance was Glacius, the cold-blooded alien who can create deadly constructs of water and ice.
All three characters sport some of the most advanced technology ever in a fighting game. All the cloth in Jago’s costume is simulated, to dynamically animate, wrinkle and respond as the fighter moves. Sabrewulf has an elaborate fur system, and Glacius uses multiple layers of transparency and refraction, along with tens of thousands of physics-colliding shards to depict his ice armor and constructs.
It’s been a thrilling labor of love for Double Helix. We’ve always had way more than our share of combat designers and fighting experts at the studio. The opportunity to bring one of gaming’s legendary franchises back to fans has been both inspiring and daunting.
The game will be playable on the E3 show floor tomorrow—and in public, at secret locations in the LA area that we’ll start announcing later today!
Stay tuned to our website and Facebook page for more information as it’s released, and follow us on Twitter to be among the first to have a chance to play! The game’s still in development, so tweet us with #KillerInstinct to let us know what you’d most like to see from the new installment!
SanMan510
8-bit

Post by SanMan510 »

CD AGES wrote:New Jago Combo Montage video released!

I'm not digging the Xbox One system tho!
"I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me." -Wreck It Ralph-
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

I'm not digging the Xbox One system tho!

Same here :oops:

I'm just happy to see the series return after what nearly feels like 2 decades of absence.

More encouraging news coming in. Looks like Namco Bandai's former community manager and fighting game veteran "FilthyRich" in on board with DHG for Killer Instinct. Here's hoping the developer looks to the community for feedback.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

More info incoming. Gameplay info from hands on play curtesy of Team Spooky
Early Killer Instinct info: Jago and Sabrewolf in current build. Auto doubles and manual doubles are both in for combo extensions.

Manual doubles are Character specific, also specials to extend ultras and a new character specific mode (think xfactor but less broken) that gives each character new properties.

Combo breakers are balanced in a new way manual doubles are harder to break and a failed breaker locks you out for a short a period of time. More info soon

Sounding like some pretty solid refinements made to the KI formula.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

And just like that, my sliver of interest for XBone and enthusiasm for this new entry in the KI series has completely been destroyed.

Looks like the game is being digitally released only. But that's not the major problem. Much like the newly announced DOA and Tekken Revolution for PS3 (released today as a matter of fact), This new Killer Instinct is being releases in a "Free 2 Play" format. Meaning you get to play with a set amount of modes and characters for free. Additional modes and characters must be purchased. So... what to you get to play with for free? Jago. That's it :oops:

I feel so bad this series. It doesn't even have a chance at this point... :(
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

This "free to play" game is less than a demo. Demos at least gave you 4 characters or so. This will give you one.
Ack

Post by Ack »

CD AGES wrote:Jago. That's it

What? Only one character? And it has to be Jago?! What the hell?