Double Dragon Neon

Brawlers and Beatemups
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Double Dragon Neon

Post by hashiriya1 »

Have any of you guys downloaded this yet? It's 'free' for PSN+ members. I played it for about an hour and I'll say it's pretty good. The first couple of levels are very nostalgic of the first DD game. It takes a weird turn after that, but it's still fun.

What do you guys think?
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Double Dragon Neon

Post by brunoafh »

If it's free for PSN+ users I'll give it a run. I just got a free month of plus from the Journey collection.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

i think i will check it out. :)
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

I was eagerly anticipating this before I sold my PS3. The soundtrack is up for free: http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/double-dragon-neon

Some incredible tunes.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I got a copy to review for Sega-Addicts. I gotta say, this is easily one of the most impressive revivals I have played. It's everything Double Dragon was and then some.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I was getting ready to make a topic about this and I see I've been beaten to the "punch". See what I did there?

Lame humor aside, this looks interesting. Lot of interesting digital games this year. I've been playing the shit out of Mark of the Ninja, but I think I'm close to beating it. I might have to check out this game and Journey next, and finish Papo y Yo.

Here's some interesting news, and I realize this is of little importance to some of you. I thought it worth mentioning though. The Xbox version continues the recent trend of XBLA games having up to 400 achievement points, while the PSN version has like half the amount of trophies. Again, I know many of you don't care about trophies/achievements, but I still thought it an interesting talking point to bring up. It's the first time we have a real difference between games on PSN and XBLA.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I got the game and played it for a bit and it was challenging. I almost want to say it was hard, but I only played a couple minutes of it and I was tired. I think the control felt "off" or too stiff and that caused me problems at first.
I think the art is a great compliment to the original game, but I was not a fan of the use of extra buttons and moves. I know this is a revival or remake, but I love the original so much the additions of the extra stuff gives me a negative first impression... but first impressions can change.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

SpaceBooger wrote:I got the game and played it for a bit and it was challenging. I almost want to say it was hard, but I only played a couple minutes of it and I was tired. I think the control felt "off" or too stiff and that caused me problems at first.
I think the art is a great compliment to the original game, but I was not a fan of the use of extra buttons and moves. I know this is a revival or remake, but I love the original so much the additions of the extra stuff gives me a negative first impression... but first impressions can change.

Yeah, I just played the demo and I couldn't really get into the combat mechanics and controls. I don't think it's bad, just not quite what I'm looking for. This seems very slow and technical with a fairly high level of difficulty. Nothing wrong with that. I just would rather play something more fluid, intuitive, and fast paced like The Dishwasher Vampire Smile

The game looks fantastic though and I like the soundtrack too. I think this will definitely appeal to certain beat 'em up fans
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

IGN review on this is weird. He says in his closing comments that the beat 'em up genre isn't good anymore, then goes on to praise Shank, Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers in the same paragraph. Even more odd is that from the demo and what I've read, I'd say Double Dragon Neon's gameplay is roughly on par with Scott Pilgrim. It's that same slow paced combat, with an emphasis on upgrading your character and buying 1 ups to get through the game solo, or just play with a friend for an easier time. I'm surprised he liked one but not the other.

I wasn't too fond of Scott Pilgrim, which is why I think DD Neon isn't clicking for me either. I enjoy games like Castle Crashers, The Simpsons Arcade and The Dishwasher games more because the combat is fluid and intuitive. DD Neon feels slower and clunkier, and the controls for running and ducking are weird and not intuitive. I used to play the hell out of the DD triology on the NES and they seemed more playable. I don't remember the arcade games that well though. Maybe they played similarly to this
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Eh, you know what? The game is starting to win me over on charm. It's tough, and a bit cheap, and I still don't love the combat mechanics. However, the game is pretty damn funny. If you don't mind replaying the first two stages a few times, the upgrades kind of balance out the game's cheapness a bit. I've actually managed to roll through levels 4 and 5 without dying. Course, that's just on normal difficulty

Fortunately, levels 1 and 2 aren't too hard once you get fairly comfortable with the combat. It's a good idea to grind them for a bit. I generally don't like playing something where I feel I have to grind, but I'm playing solo. I guess that's sort of the trade off. I'm just hooked on the arcade feel and the humor at this point. This game is more Battletoads than Double Dragon. I don't know if that will appeal to everyone
RyaNtheSlayA wrote: