Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle

Brawlers and Beatemups
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle

Post by brunoafh »

I'm in for sure as I have it preordered. I am mainly sold on the novelty alone, but gameplay videos look surprisingly good. Looking forward to it. I have some other end of August stuff coming in from AmiAmi though so I don't know how that will line up or when I'll get it.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Yea. It looks surprisingly good, and the mechanics sound pretty interesting. It's a sort of 2D/3D hybrid. Mostly 2D feeling but with a sidestep button. I'll find out how it plays tomorrow, but things look promising. I was originally not expecting anything good from CC2.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Looks too good to be true.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

I played a bit tonight. But only at home. My arcade stick is over a friends' place so I certainly did not play with a controller I am comfortable with.

This game appears to be a five button fighter from what I can tell. But I haven't looked at the controls yet to confirm. A, B C (square, triangle, circle) are light, medium, and heavy. D (x) is sidestep/roll. E (R1) is stand/ripple/mount (or dismount) from horse depending on which character you are. I play on setting it up like Arcana Heart 3 on my stick. That way I have access to all buttons without even moving my hand.

Anyway, I think the game feels kind of slow, to be honest. It looks very flashy and has some cool animations, but it just feels a bit sluggish. Had heard that it only runs 30fps compared to most modern fighters being 60fps. Not sure if that is true, but it definitely doesn't feel as responsive to me. Could also be me not being very good with the d-pad/analog sticks.

I much prefer pretty much every other fighter I've played lately... At least for now. Gotta give it a shot with the stick and learn the ins and outs better before I really make a decision on the game.

Load times before battles is a bit long considered I downloaded the game. Should be snappier.

Attacks do too little damage. Matches drag. Time ups will be an issue in tourney play for this game, IMO.

lvl2 supers are 1 button if you're playing w/ a regular Dual Shock controller. You can input the traditional way, but they literally included a single button press for lvl2 supers. It's okay, I guess... But I'd prefer everyone just having to do the full input. The WHOLE lvl2 super input is only quarter circle + L,M,H attack simultaneously. Was adding L1 to execute that command really necessary? Maybe if L1 were just L+M+H that'd be fine. But you don't even have to do the quarter circle making it a little cheap. I should also note that lvl1 supers don't have this special button press. Weird considering they are practically the same input: quarter circle + 2 attack buttons simultaneously.

I hope the game grows on me. But so far it seems like CC2 is proving my suspicions that they don't know how to make a real quality fighter. Probably should just stick to Naruto. I'm just imagining how much cooler this game would be were it developed by Namco, ArcSys, or Capcom.

I'm no pro at fighters, and these are just my feelings so far. Subject to change. I should also note that I am NOT a hardcore JoJo fan so I feel like my opinion is a little less biased. Some of my friends are very into JoJo and will like it no matter how mediocre it plays.

Here's a video of an infinite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5CDMW2ziQ8 There have already been multiple infinites found. Really needs patching.

Highly recommended watch if you have a Nico account: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21710106

Game needs gravity.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

I spent some time with the game and I am pretty much having a blast with it. It's not like BlazBlue or Street Fighter good (or even close), but for an anime fighter, it is very good. Way better than any licensed anime fighter on the PS3 that I have played so far. It's probably never going to be a legit competitive fighter, but I don't think it is trying to be that. It's kind of in-between the 3 attack DBZ/Naruto fighters and the more in-depth fighters, like some of the later pre-SF IV Dimps fighters.

I haven't spent super in-depth time with it to get a true sense for the balance or anything like that, and honestly I'm probably not going to have the time for that kind of binge or analysis any time soon. So I'm just planning on enjoying it for what it is, and loving the JoJo action. Fans of JoJo should absolutely not be disappointed, it is awesome and delivers very well on that end.

Overall at the current price I would have a hard time suggesting it to purely anyone though, and I fully admit that most of my enjoyment is coming from being a JoJo fan. But I do think this is a quality game too.

ZenErik wrote:Anyway, I think the game feels kind of slow

I've seen this complaint a lot. It is a bit slow for my taste as well. But compare this to Soul Calibur, Tekken, or other 3D fighters, and it is pretty much a normal speed in that sense.

ZenErik wrote:lvl2 supers are 1 button

This is pretty much becoming the norm for a lot of fighters in the past few years. I'm not a fan of this either, but I guess this is where the genre is going. I prefer when there are separate modes for simplified controls. I don't ever plan on getting competitive with this though so I don't mind in this case.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

This game is getting a US release.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Also it turns out that this is going to have a limited physical release in the US (Amazon and ClubNamco.com only). I was on the fence about getting this but now I kinda want to preorder the physical copy. If it turns out that I don't care for it, it will probably resell well.