Golden Axe (Gen)
Final Fight (Sega CD/Arc)
TMNT (Arc)
TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES/Arc)
TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
Double Dragon (Arc)
Spider-Man (Arc)
Final Fight 2&3 (SNES)

I actually love Double Dragon III (NES) as a kid, even with it's difficulty. It's not a very good game but on days when I have the patience do deal with shitty controls it's a fun stroll down memory lane. There hasn't been a whole lot in the modern generations but I think I can count Mark of Kri (PS2) as a beat em' up.
Last edited by J_Wil on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh great, another box of useless sh*t."

Main Collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/ynjmwil/games?viewCollection=in-collection - Not looking to move anything on this list but would entertain offers.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Beat em Ups!

Post by Gamerforlife »

J_Wil wrote:There are tons of late 80's early 90's games to choose from. My faves are:

Super Double Dragon (SNES)
River City Ransom (NES)
Street of Rage series (Gen)
Golden Axe (Gen)
TMNT (Arc)
Double Dragon (Arc)
Spider-Man (Arc)
Final Fight 2&3 (SNES)

I actually love Double Dragon III (NES) as a kid, even with it's difficulty. It's not a very good game but on das when i have the patience do deal with shitty controls it's a fun stroll down memory lane. There hasn't been a whole lot in the modern generations but I think I can count Mark of Kri (PS2) as a beat em' up.

Lot of good choices on that list

Years after I played Double Dragon III, I was surprised to discover that a lot of people hated it. I found Double Dragon III to be a very easy game except for the last level. I never understood why people found it so hard or complained so much. Each playable character has one broken, overpowered move that makes taking people out very easy (like billy and jimmy's cyclone kick). It's like a lot of other old school beat'em ups. If you played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade on the NES, the A+B attack was a one hit kill on everything. In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV on the SNES, the ground slam was a one hit kill on everything near you. Beat 'em ups are all about finding the right moves.

Double Dragon III is actually my favorite installment of the NES trilogy
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Gamerforlife wrote:Years after I played Double Dragon III, I was surprised to discover that a lot of people hated it. I found Double Dragon III to be a very easy game except for the last level. I never understood why people found it so hard or complained so much. Each playable character has one broken, overpowered move that makes taking people out very easy (like billy and jimmy's cyclone kick). It's like a lot of other old school beat'em ups. If you played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade on the NES, the A+B attack was a one hit kill on everything. In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV on the SNES, the ground slam was a one hit kill on everything near you. Beat 'em ups are all about finding the right moves.

I remember getting to the Egypt level as a kid, but I'm pretty sure I game over'd there and never finished it. I don't think I could get that far now. I'd play level one or two, and then my desire for DDII would be so strong that I would have to play that one!

edit: I just watched a playthough of DDIII, and I have DEFINITELY been to the final boss sequence before, but I don't think I'd beaten it.
J_Wil
32-bit

Post by J_Wil »

Gamerforlife wrote:
J_Wil wrote:There are tons of late 80's early 90's games to choose from. My faves are:

Super Double Dragon (SNES)
River City Ransom (NES)
Street of Rage series (Gen)
Golden Axe (Gen)
TMNT (Arc)
Double Dragon (Arc)
Spider-Man (Arc)
Final Fight 2&3 (SNES)

I actually love Double Dragon III (NES) as a kid, even with it's difficulty. It's not a very good game but on days when I have the patience do deal with shitty controls it's a fun stroll down memory lane. There hasn't been a whole lot in the modern generations but I think I can count Mark of Kri (PS2) as a beat em' up.

Lot of good choices on that list

Years after I played Double Dragon III, I was surprised to discover that a lot of people hated it. I found Double Dragon III to be a very easy game except for the last level. I never understood why people found it so hard or complained so much. Each playable character has one broken, overpowered move that makes taking people out very easy (like billy and jimmy's cyclone kick). It's like a lot of other old school beat'em ups. If you played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade on the NES, the A+B attack was a one hit kill on everything. In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV on the SNES, the ground slam was a one hit kill on everything near you. Beat 'em ups are all about finding the right moves.

I agree. Actually, Double Dragon III is still my fave of all the NES versions. Speaking only for myself, it's the inconsisent control that makes it tough. Sometime the A+B attacks work, sometimes they don't. Then there's that one jump in the early part of the Egypt stage. It can be really frustrating at times. Thinking about it now, maybe the reason I don't like it much now is because I find it very challenging. Today's games generally hold your hand the entire game. Games like DD III are pretty unforgiving and demand minimal mistakes from the player in order to beat it. I guess over the years I have gotten too used to being babied to the end.
"Oh great, another box of useless sh*t."

Main Collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/ynjmwil/games?viewCollection=in-collection - Not looking to move anything on this list but would entertain offers.
jepjepjep
24-bit

Post by jepjepjep »

Here are my favs:

Alien vs. Predator - Capcom's finest IMO, check out how awesome it can be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugUTz3jkfgM
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs - In the same vein as Final Fight, but better
Final Fight - nothing beats the graphics/music/style, the gameplay was definately improved upon by its successors
Guardians (Denjin Makai II) - pretty obscure arcade-only sidescroller, great scifi theme and tons of special moves
Sengoku 2 - the neo didn't have great sidescrollers, but this one stands out, has a different feel to anything else (except maybe Sengoku 1)
Dungeons & Dragons Shadow over Mystara, great hack'n slash rpg-style
rlrunyon
16-bit

Post by rlrunyon »

Ninja Baseball Batman - Arcade (Just recently.)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Arcade
Battletoads and Double Dragon - Genesis/SNES
Streets of Rage 2 - Genesis
Golden Axe 3 - Genesis
The Bouncer - PS2 (So sue me.)

Those are the ones that I've wasted the most time on.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

God Hand.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

Well, at least you resurrected an old topic with a good answer :lol:

I agree!
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

cha cha wrote:Well, at least you resurrected an old topic with a good answer :lol:

I agree!

LOL, yes if I'm going to necro a thread I'm going to do it right!

I haven't even beaten this game yet (more of a case of it's 'beating' me, heh) but I knew within the first hour or so this game was great.

Other honorable mentions for favorite beat 'em ups:

-TMNT IV: Turtles In Time
-X-Men (Arcade)
-Final Fight
-Battletoads (NES)
-Double Dragon (NES)
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Since this topic's been resurrected, people will no doubt be interested to know that The Gladiator/Road of the Sword is playable in recent MAME builds. It rocks.

http://youtu.be/niO3f0z7UXY