Brawlers and Beatemups
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38041
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by noiseredux Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:22 am

brunoafh wrote:I get what you're saying entirely, but, in my eyes BB isn't growing any slower than any other fighting game franchise has,


I never said it was. This whole thing started because I said one of the added features (visual novel story) didn't matter to me. That's all.
Image
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22677
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by MrPopo Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:24 am

noiseredux wrote:
brunoafh wrote:I get what you're saying entirely, but, in my eyes BB isn't growing any slower than any other fighting game franchise has,


I never said it was. This whole thing started because I said one of the added features (visual novel story) didn't matter to me. That's all.

I think there's been a clear link established between not liking a visual novel story in a fighting game and eating babies.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
brunoafh
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by brunoafh Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 am

mjmjr25 wrote:The fact that these games (MvC3, SSFIV, etc) sell millions of copies worldwide means it is appealing on a mass scale to the casual fan, so Capcom (and others) will mostly market to that casual fan, because it means more sales, really simple.

And again, as a casual fan, who mostly associates with casual fans, I feel pretty strongly that when weighing MORE CHARACTERS vs. DEEP / DETAILED STORY...it is heavily lopsided on the side of more characters.

That's fine, and there are plenty of people that feel this way, but BB (and Arc in general) has a massive and very dedicated following, and Arc knows exactly what they want and continues to deliver even if the result is moderate and niche sales. It's great of them to stick to their guns and not succumb to the ultra mega rosters that sell the big numbers.

noiseredux wrote:I never said it was. This whole thing started because I said one of the added features (visual novel story) didn't matter to me. That's all.

Then your "complaint" (not quite a complaint but you know what I mean) about the story detracting from the possibility of new characters doesn't make sense.

Sorry if I'm coming off as rabid, not trying to.
User avatar
ZenErik
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Boston

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by ZenErik Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:29 am

I prefer ArcSys fighters over any Capcom fighter from this generation so I am biased. I also like story modes and all the different challenge modes and the great tutorial that BB offers. No other fighter can compare in terms of content. And actual enjoyable content, at that. At least for me.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38041
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by noiseredux Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 am

MrPopo wrote:I think there's been a clear link established between not liking a visual novel story in a fighting game and eating babies.


funny enough, I like visual novels... But I'd rather play a visual novel than sit through a pseudo-one between matches in a fighting game is all.

brunoafh wrote:It's great of them to stick to their guns and not succumb to the ultra mega rosters that sell the big numbers.


well, Arcana 3 had a huge roster. But that's only published by Arc, ammiright?


Then your "complaint" (not quite a complaint but you know what I mean) about the story detracting from the possibility of new characters doesn't make sense.


haha, ok. Let me try again. I'm not complaining. I'm saying that to me there is no added value to the elaborate storymode of BB. So Arc could do something else with their money that I would find more value in. One such thing would be adding more characters. If there were more characters, I'd try them out in the game. There's the value. But that doesn't have to be what they do with the $ in lieu of crazyasstory mode. I was just giving one example of something I would find value in is all.

Sorry if I'm coming off as rabid, not trying to.


You're not, though I fear I'm having trouble explaining myself clearly.
Image
User avatar
brunoafh
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by brunoafh Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:34 am

noiseredux wrote:You're not, though I fear I'm having trouble explaining myself clearly.

I understand you perfectly, it's just that I'm right and you're wrong.

Image
User avatar
ZenErik
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Boston

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by ZenErik Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 am

I also like that finally playing story mode changed my opinion on some of the characters. Some characters I liked in general versus gameplay I now dislike. And vice versa. Simply because of their story and the way they act. It helped me expand into learning a bit how every single character works too. For me, no other fighter comes close. And I hope the rumored BB anime does eventually happen.

Rachel is still the best. And Platinum. :)
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38041
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by noiseredux Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:40 am

ZenErik wrote:I also like that finally playing story mode changed my opinion on some of the characters. Some characters I liked in general versus gameplay I now dislike. And vice versa. Simply because of their story and the way they act.


This makes no sense to me personally. In a fighting game you should like or dislike a character because of how they play. Are their movesets comfortable to you, the player? Things like that. I don't see how the way they acted in a fictional story should affect how well you utilize them in a game. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, Erik?)

And I hope the rumored BB anime does eventually happen.


This I agree with. In fact, maybe I'm weird, but I'd be more inclined to sit down and watch a dedicated anime based on the series than sit through cut-scenes when I want to play the game.
Image
User avatar
ZenErik
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 am
Location: Boston

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by ZenErik Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 am

noiseredux wrote:This makes no sense to me personally. In a fighting game you should like or dislike a character because of how they play. Are their movesets comfortable to you, the player? Things like that. I don't see how the way they acted in a fictional story should affect how well you utilize them in a game. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, Erik?)

I mean what I say. Like, I never liked Ragna the Bloodedge. But after playing story mode I think he's alright and am more likely to actually use him in versus gameplay.

I don't see the issue with this. Rachel is my favorite for appearance and character. She is NOT one of the easier characters to use in gameplay. She's very powerful when used correctly but not easy. I've always used her as my main. So what if I can't easily buton mash and win with her?

Hazama is such a douche in the story that I am very unlikely to use him often.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22677
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: BlazBlue series thread

by MrPopo Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 am

You have to like a character if you're going to put in the time to get good with them. What makes a person like a character varies from person to person. Some are purely pragmatic, and like a character based upon their movesets. Others are based on story or looks. I start off by narrowing the field based upon which characters I have an instant liking for based on the first look at their portrait, then I cut down from there by removing any damn charge characters.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to Fighters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests