Samurai Shodown Sen, so what happened to this game?

Brawlers and Beatemups
JC48573
128-bit

Samurai Shodown Sen, so what happened to this game?

Post by JC48573 »

Awhile ago I returned this game and got me Battle Fantasia and for whatever reason I went back to it just give it another go. Game still got serious problems as the controller can be a bit problematic. Here I just want to share what I really feel about the game other than simply saying it sucks.

Graphics: All I see from the game is polygons with hardly any textures. I think K2 really needs to step up because there's not excuse why their games should look like that.

Controls: it's ok. just on the slow side IMO.

gameplay: The old way of playing the game is kinda there, but when you start playing this against the AI is just unforgiving at times. You really need to time yourself and understand the flow of the game. Blocking requires some serious attention. After countless hours, I'm starting to get the impression that this game is designed for people with serious patience.

Lighting: Bad. It's like playing tenchu at times.

Animation: Amateurish

FYI, K2 had developed a few Tenchu games that range from good to mediocre, but they were also the former developers of the original Samurai Shodown series up till 5 I believe and 6 was done by the people who did Arcana Heart. Surprised? Yea, it's rather unfortunate how this game turned out. It's playable, but in a hard way.
Last edited by JC48573 on Sun May 27, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Re: Samurai Shodown Sen really sucks

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Good choice! Battle Fantasia is a severly overlooked game.. Some complain of balancing issues, but I've never seen it more or less apparent than in any iteration of SFIV.

Samurai Shodown Sen is absolutely going down as the bane of the franchise! I love ALL fighters - 2D or 3D, anime or mocaps, serious or light-hearted. I've managed to find endearing qualities in just about every fighting game I've ever played and can find some way to enjoy them despite shoddy hit detections and lackluster character designs. But Sam Sho Sen is just despicable in every way.. Music is bland, characters are a joke (Afro Samurai, are you kidding me?!) and story mode is just drab at best..
I seriously thought SNK/Playmore couldn't possibly screw up another beloved franchise of theirs after the King of Fighters XII debacle.. Samurai Shodown Sen proved me wrong - so wrong... :cry:
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

don't like the contrast either. it's hard to see when it's night in the game. Character designs are bland, lacks close up and details. K2 used to be an ok developer, but everything sucks for them now. I also picked up another game called Bloody Roar Primal Fury for the gamecube. Heck, even the over repetitive nature of Bloody Roar was more fun than Samurai Shodown. I think the game is way too complicated for a fighting game.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

I believe Bloody Roar Primal Fury is a GC port of Bloody Roar 3 on PS3/XB, (I may be mistaken?) Regardless, it's really not a bad game.. It's never going to be EVO material, but it's fun to play with a bunch of open-minded friends if nothing else than to morph into animals and claw the crap out of each other! :lol:
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

Bloody Roar Primal Fury is actually an upgrade to Bloody Roar 3 with better graphics and consistent framerate. It's also considered as a side story to the Bloody Roar series. It's an ok game.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Samurai Shodown Sen really sucks

YES! but somehow i still kept my copy. :lol:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
JC48573
128-bit

Re: Samurai Shodown Sen, so what happened to this game?

Post by JC48573 »

bump
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Samurai Shodown Sen is absolutely going down as the bane of the franchise!

Sam Sho 64 and Warrior Rage on PS1 are worse offenders then SEN could ever be if you ask me!

Samurai Shodown Sen really sucks

The game def has issues no doubt. But it does have it some minor positives that make it worth owning (especially for the $10-$15 that the game commands for in New condition).

The roster is pretty good. A nice blend of old classic Sam Sho characters and new challengers! I dig the Viking Dude and the supposed ancestor to Kim Kaphwan!

The 2D characters designs and presentation are very stylish thanks in part to series veteran illustrator Aoi Nanase.

The game seems to be a great button masher so it can really become an enjoyable fighter among a group of friends who are less than proficient in the genre.

I simply enjoy the over the top violence and gore. Big ups to SNK for allowing fans like myself to finally decapitate Nakoruru and Rimururu 8)

I remember going to my local arcade to play test this game along side 98UM when SNKP USA branch brought their respective boards for people to try out. There was a point where the 360 port almost didn't make it to the states. SNKP canceled (the then titled Edge of Destiny). Luckily, XSEED stepped up to the plate and brought it state side under the proper "Sen" moniker. I gave them my support and dropped $40 on release. Don't regret it.

Toonami gives Sam Sho Sen a

6/10

VICTOLY!!! 8)
JC48573
128-bit

Post by JC48573 »

keep in mind that when I got it first, I actually thought this game sucked. Now, well, it's actually not that bad. If there's one thing I want K2 to improve on is the graphics. They seriously need to upgrade their graphics engine. As far as controls go, it's something you need to train on. It doesn't take that long to get used, but at least you get to understand your 360 controller a bit more when it comes down to fighting games.

In order to feel good about owning this game, I purchased a copy of SoulCalibur 2 for the xbox.