Brawlers and Beatemups
J T
Next-Gen

Arm Joe- the fighting game version of Les Miserables

by J T Sun May 22, 2011 11:36 am

Yes, you read that correctly. Arm Joe is a 2D fighter that is based on Victor Hugo's classic book, Les Miserables.

So if it's about Les Misearbles, then why is it called Arm Joe? Because in Japan, Les Miserables is called "Ah, Majou" which translates to something like "Ah, Cruelty" and if you try to pronounce it as English words, it sounds a bit like "Arm Joe" with a thick Japanese accent.

You will find all of your favorite Les Mis' characters here including Jean Valjean, Cosette, Eponine, Marius, Inspector Javert, and Jean's evil mechanical doppleganger-- RoboJean... wait... I don't remember that last one from the musical. hmmm...

Anyway, it's a fun button mash for an hour or so, but the game doesn't really have the depth to keep you playing for a long time. It's really something that's just good for a chuckle if you're familiar with the book or the musical. And it makes a nice gift idea for the Les Miserables fans in your life that takes themselves too seriously. And while it's clearly the most ridiculous video game version of Les Miserables you will find, it's actually not the only one. For a more serious treatment of the book put into game form, also try Les Miserables- The game of the book by Enter the Story.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Arm Joe- the fighting game version of Les Miserables

by fastbilly1 Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 am

I thought I posted this awhile back. It is the ultimate fighting game. Featuring dead police men and mini coopers.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:30 am

Call me when they've got a massive doujin-style ultimate-crossover fighter with every major musical character, particularly Elphaba (Wicked), Angel (from RENT), Blind Mag (from REPO!), and The Phantom (from Phantom of the Paradise. I've created custom SC4 characters based on the first three.
Jontendo
64-bit

by Jontendo Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:27 am

There's no mistaking the SNK influences as well. When I heard "Arm Joe", the first thing that came to mind was "Bionic Commando" though...
god
64-bit

by god Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:39 am

The first thing that came to my mind was this:

Big Zenny Hustler
Jontendo
64-bit

by Jontendo Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:36 am

god wrote:The first thing that came to my mind was this:

Immune system challenge: