Brawlers and Beatemups
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Best way for me to get into Mortal Kombat?

by noiseredux Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 am

SplashChick wrote:Well, thanks to you guys and a need to rant about something I finally started my own blog. You can see it here: http://tortuousgoddess.tumblr.com/

bookmarked.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am

SplashChick wrote:Cyrax has been my main for years now, he's by far my favorite character. I wish I could have seen the look on Sevin0Seven's face when I landed that 100% combo on him. :lol:

i'm pretty sure you heard my reaction over the mic :lol: but i am proud to say i at least did one flawless victory on you in one of the rounds and loved your reaction on that. :wink:
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:17 pm

noiseredux wrote:
SplashChick wrote:Well, thanks to you guys and a need to rant about something I finally started my own blog. You can see it here: http://tortuousgoddess.tumblr.com/

bookmarked.

Thanks. I just updated it so people can post comments now.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:32 am

dsheinem wrote:Awesome post, Splashchick. You write well and I'd also visit any potential blog. I'd love to see an even fuller write up on the MK series using that post as a template - maybe Racket would feature it!

I've been thinking about this a little bit, I think I'd probably do something about that sized for each game, as to be more comprehensive so you can actually know something from it. This post was just to tell you the important things to know about each game, and how to prepare for the new MK. Maybe I'll post somethin' on my blog sometime.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
Flake

by Flake Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:43 am

So Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance came in the mail the other day.

I don't know what that guy was talking about saying there is no depth to any Mortal Kombat games. If anything there is TOO MUCH depth. Mastering one characters is more like mastering three.

That said, I really do like this game quite a bit. When I get tired of it, I'll probably get ahold of MK2 or 3 and see what the 'definitive' part of the series is like.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Flake wrote:So Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance came in the mail the other day.

I don't know what that guy was talking about saying there is no depth to any Mortal Kombat games. If anything there is TOO MUCH depth. Mastering one characters is more like mastering three.

That said, I really do like this game quite a bit. When I get tired of it, I'll probably get ahold of MK2 or 3 and see what the 'definitive' part of the series is like.

Well it's not that deep, it's just complicated. There's a big difference. You'll only need to know a handful of decent combo strings with a character and you'll be fine.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:10 pm

What is the comboing in Deadly Alliance like? I haven't had any lengthy hands on with any of the 3D Mortal Kombat games other than DC vs MK, and I wasn't very impressed with it. It was still fun, but not the kind of thing I'm very into.
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:36 pm

brunoafh wrote:What is the comboing in Deadly Alliance like? I haven't had any lengthy hands on with any of the 3D Mortal Kombat games other than DC vs MK, and I wasn't very impressed with it. It was still fun, but not the kind of thing I'm very into.

Non-dynamic, premade combo strings that switch between fighting styles. It's neat that they used real martial arts for the game, but it doesn't really add much to gameplay.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:51 pm

SplashChick wrote:
brunoafh wrote:What is the comboing in Deadly Alliance like? I haven't had any lengthy hands on with any of the 3D Mortal Kombat games other than DC vs MK, and I wasn't very impressed with it. It was still fun, but not the kind of thing I'm very into.

Non-dynamic, premade combo strings that switch between fighting styles. It's neat that they used real martial arts for the game, but it doesn't really add much to gameplay.

So pretty much like MK3?
Ack

by Ack Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 pm

SplashChick wrote:

I've found there are a couple of places to add one or two more hits, but in general I have to agree with SplashChick. Everything's pretty much preset. Once you've memorized the handful of combos (and the game will tell you what they are in training), that's it.

As for how it compares to MK3, I couldn't say as I don't really remember playing the old 2D MK games. I haven't touched this series in a long time.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Fighters