Brawlers and Beatemups
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Best way for me to get into Mortal Kombat?

by noiseredux Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

ujnhunter wrote:Are you trying to insinuate that something has to be "good" in order to sell? Why are all the top selling music acts just a bunch of crappy autotune tracks? Why do people buy RARE ltd games? Why are there 800 SAW movies? Crap sells just as well as good things sell.

sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:16 pm

ujnhunter wrote:
sevin0seven wrote:
ujnhunter wrote:Tip: Avoid playing every other fighting game ever made... because that's the only way you'd get into MK... not trying to be a jerk... but MK is probably one of... if not the worst fighting games available.

...so the worst fighting game available has how many sequels/remakes/genres? spin-offs? movies? court cases? retail release battle? ... :P

Are you trying to insinuate that something has to be "good" in order to sell? Why are all the top selling music acts just a bunch of crappy autotune tracks? Why do people buy RARE ltd games? Why are there 800 SAW movies? Crap sells just as well as good things sell.

alright geez, i get it. you hate MK :roll: ....but 800 SAW movies? :| Really, really?
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 pm

ujnhunter wrote:Crap sells just as well as good things sell.

This is 100% true, but MK is awesome my friend.

What exactly don't you like, ujnhunter? I mean, if you're into retro-2D fighters, there's virtually nothing to dislike (assuming you don't typically have gripes with visuals/dated control).
Last edited by brunoafh on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:25 pm

sevin0seven wrote: ....but 800 SAW movies? :| Really, really?

and in fairness, not all the Saw movies are bad. Little off topic, but...
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 pm

noiseredux wrote:
sevin0seven wrote: ....but 800 SAW movies? :| Really, really?

and in fairness, not all the Saw movies are bad. Little off topic, but...

Way too many people make the arguement that MK is bad, and usually just try to compare it to Street Fighter

I get it, pretty much every retro fighter uses the same engine but Mortal Kombat (and a few others, but there were a lot of SF clones)

MK stands apart from those, and because of that, a lot of folks don't like it. I think it kicks so much ass.

I do agree that 2 is the best, but I am surprised to see that the fatalities are favored in 2. I thought that was one of the best parts of ultimate 3, the ridiculous amount of finishers

The only reason I hold Trilogy higher than 2, is that I can play a lot of my favorite fighters from 2, along with the bosses, and I enjoy playing ermac, rain, and the more balanced kabal.

Both 2 and 3 are the best examples of the series IMo, and 2 stands a bit higher than 3
shwisha
32-bit

by shwisha Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:18 pm

There is no question that 2 is a must play and most people here seem to agree with that. I do think you need to play 1 first though. It's a quick play since it only has a handful of characters. You need to play MK1 first just so you understand what started it all and how it evolved. Going from 2 or 3 back to 1 might be a less impressive transition.
Tecmo Pro - My Tecmo Super Bowl Blog.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:22 pm

shwisha wrote:There is no question that 2 is a must play and most people here seem to agree with that. I do think you need to play 1 first though. It's a quick play since it only has a handful of characters. You need to play MK1 first just so you understand what started it all and how it evolved. Going from 2 or 3 back to 1 might be a less impressive transition.

don't forget to find/fight Reptile (MK1) down the Pitt. that was epic back then.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:23 pm

If anyone is bored and wanted to see a pretty in-depth look at Mortal Kombat 1-3 and all available ports, I found this video to be a good watch.

http://retrowaretv.com/RWTVEpisodes/RWTVEpisode6MortalKombatChronoTrigger/tabid/84/Default.aspx
Flake

by Flake Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:28 pm

ujnhunter wrote: blah blah angry things about Mortal Kombat blah

Hey dude, I'm going to start playing Mortal Kombat. This is a thing and it is happening. Your opinions will not stop this. They have been duly noted and ignored. Please stop derailing my thread. Refer to the 'New Thread' button on the top of your screen and click that baby if you want to build a stage for your own views.

In short: Stop.

Annnnnnnnd, gettin' this train back on track: Of the most recent Mortal Kombats (i.e. the ones without numbers) are there any real stinkers? I am definitely going to go with II to get a feel for what the series is all about but I should probably also give the recent history a shot, too.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Flake wrote:This is a thing and it is happening.

I lol'd.

Annnnnnnnd, gettin' this train back on track: Of the most recent Mortal Kombats (i.e. the ones without numbers) are there any real stinkers? I am definitely going to go with II to get a feel for what the series is all about but I should probably also give the recent history a shot, too.

I forgot to tell you stay the hell away from MK Advance. It looks really really good, but it plays like shit. It's absolutely impossible to even play.

I also have Deception for PS2. Haven't played it yet. I got the Premium Edition because it's amazingly packaged and it includes a bonus disc with an arcade emulation of MK1. Deception ALSO features bonus games: MK Chess (!!!) and a ripoff of Puzzle Fighter. All of which was more interesting to me than Deception itself. Well maybe I'll pop in the game proper and let you know.
Return to Fighters