Best way for me to get into Mortal Kombat?

Brawlers and Beatemups
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Re: Best way for me to get into Mortal Kombat?

Post by brunoafh »

I have kind of a cynical view on it, but I think every 3D MK sucks pretty bad (with the exception of Shaolin Monks). At very least, be absolutely sure to avoid MK4, unless you just want a good laugh.

I guess MK vs DCU is an ok game... this new MK's engine is based off it.
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

brunoafh wrote:I have kind of a cynical view on it, but I think every 3D MK sucks pretty bad (with the exception of Shaolin Monks). At very least, be absolutely sure to avoid MK4, unless you just want a good laugh.

I guess MK vs DCU is an ok game... this new MK's engine is based off it.

yea i do agree with you, i never gotten deep into their fighting mechanics in the 3d MKs.

Mortal Kombat 2d is pretty deep and amazing juggles and combos can be done only by those who knows the nick and nack of the mk mechanics.

I have manage to pull some MK2 juggles, but let me you its DAMN>>> hard to do.
Way much harder than any Top Tekken Juggles.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

Genesis MK2

Tips for better gaming experiences:
Though the "walk back" AI flaw isn't present in this version(unlike the arcade and SNES versions), the hardcore corner combos did make it in(unlike the SNES version). If you can trap someone in the corner, all of the hardcore combos of the arcade version are possible.
A quick, and fun combo with Cage:
(while opponent is in the corner)
Jump in with a super-deep kick
Juggle with two ducking low punches
Standing high punch
Shadow Kick or Shadow Uppercut
(note: After the two juggling low punches, you can substitute the nut crunch in for the standing high punch for a painfully hardcore combo
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so I've been playing Deception since my last post. It's not great. But not bad. I'm not a big fan of 3D fighters personally. This one is not as deep nor enjoyable as DOA2, but it's alright. It feels clunky to me. And it feels too zoomed it. And the weapons thing is a little too poor man's Soul Calibur to me. But I don't hate it. I've played worse. I just wouldn't recommend it BEFORE a 2D entry.

HOWEVER I should note that the disc (and especially Premium Edition) is worth it for fans of the series no matter. Here's what's on the regular disc:

1. MK Deception (including online... which I dont know if it still works as my PS2 isn't hooked up to internet these days)

2. Konquest - this is a 1-Player quest that basically gives you a lot of story and a lot of training to learn how to play Deception. Pretty well done.

3. Chess Kombat - fucking CHESS with fighting!

4. Puzzle Kombat - a Puzzle Fighter rip-off. Not as good, fast or deep. But still, it's a Puzzle Fighter clone. There are worse things in the world.

===

PREMIUM EDITION BONUS DISC

5. MK1 arcade port (this is notable since it was left off the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 due to some glitchiness. Kind of nice that they waited until they got it right anway.

6. A bunch of videos about the franchise

......ANYWAY like I said, this should not be yr first MK experience. But if you get into the series, this is really a neat little collection of odds n ends. NOW I think I'm gonna seek out the Premium Edition of Armageddon too!
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

I never liked MK, its all style and substance, and by today's standards the style is debatable. It has shallow game play, lame characters that all look the same and lots of controversial 16bit gore, the only reason it was popular in the first place.

But if you really must, you can buy them pretty cheaply.
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

^
i have to disagree i personally think its pretty deep once you really know the system.
I have seen some amazing fights before....i wouldnt say its 100% balance but the system mech works well and very close to those of street fighter.

Im no noob in fighting games and after many countless hours i put in MK2 i really found out that the mech are pretty deep. It takes as much concentration to battle against a pro player as it would in street fighter or tekken series.

Using those two because im no stranger to street fighter mech, and the complication of tekken move set, juggles, combos, evade, throws...etc.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

saturnfan wrote: its all style and substance,

you said it! Two horrible traits for a game to possess.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

noiseredux wrote:

Yeah, isn't the debate usually whether or not a game is going to go with style OR substance?

I would assume you meant it's style over substance. Which I wouldn't really agree with. MK3 has a somewhat deep combo system, tons of substance, a large character list, and can easily stand up to any 16-bit fighter. Same with MK2 in most of those respects, but the combo system was added in 3, as well as a lot of content (finishers, stages, ect).
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

noiseredux wrote:

Haha, I meant no substance.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

saturnfan wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

Haha, I meant no substance.

Well then you'd just be wrong.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.