Best way for me to get into Mortal Kombat?

Brawlers and Beatemups
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Best way for me to get into Mortal Kombat?

Post by noiseredux »

SplashChick wrote: I didn't think anyone would read it,

reconsider this.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

noiseredux wrote:
SplashChick wrote: I didn't think anyone would read it,

reconsider this.

i second. :wink:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Lol well okay, I'll look into it.
sevin0seven wrote:
SplashChick wrote:...I personally prefer the N64 version because it loads faster and the controller is excellent for it.

this comment makes me happy....especially coming from you :P . now i am curious to spar with you on UMK3 on the 360.

I'd love to, just let me know when you want to fight.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

SplashChick wrote:Lol well okay, I'll look into it.
sevin0seven wrote:
SplashChick wrote:...I personally prefer the N64 version because it loads faster and the controller is excellent for it.

this comment makes me happy....especially coming from you :P . now i am curious to spar with you on UMK3 on the 360.

I'd love to, just let me know when you want to fight.

alright just played SplashChick UMK3 on XBL and she beats me 20 to 3. shes for real. :wink:

..but i had the last laugh on SSFIIHD :lol: :P
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

sevin0seven wrote:alright just played SplashChick UMK3 on XBL and she beats me 20 to 3. shes for real. :wink:

Score was still 12-8 me. :P
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

SplashChick wrote:
sevin0seven wrote:alright just played SplashChick UMK3 on XBL and she beats me 20 to 3. shes for real. :wink:

Score was still 12-8 me. :P

watch out for her Zangief and Balrog!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Awesome post, Splashchick. You write well and I'd also visit any potential blog. I'd love to see an even fuller write up on the MK series using that post as a template - maybe Racket would feature it!
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

SplashChick wrote:I'd say it holds up to SFII, but that's as good as it gets. SFII recieved many new versions with lots of improvements, and MKII didn't. The original SFII had a lot of issues like MKII does, but they were fixed in later versions, whereas MKII simply got a much improved sequel. SFIIT and all the versions afterwards are definitely better than MKII.

Actually, MKII was updated over time as well, it just wasn't always clear to the players. Street Fighter II gave a new name to each iteration. MKII just upgraded versions of the arcade machine innards. You wouldn't know unless you paid attention to the version numbers. I remember when they first introduced Babalities, which had not been in the game before. People went crazy when you performed it on them because they thought they knew everything about MKII and totally didn't see it coming. There was also a glitch where you could do some moves after the babality. I used to love the reactions I would get from people that hadn't played the upgraded MKII yet in the arcade and I would do a babality on them, break my character free, then upper cut the baby into a bloody splatter. That shit was fucked up! (this glitch (feature?) was later removed amidst the growing Mortal Kombat controversy)

You are dead on about the difference between MKII and UMK3. I still personally like MKII better, but it is admittedly because it is a simpler game for me to return to after not having played in a long time. There was a period where I had really nailed down how to play well with Kabal and Cyrax in UMK3 though, and at that point in time I would have said UMK3 was the better game. The run button was a game changer. Once you mastered the possibilities with running combos, you were no longer sitting at the kid's table. I spent a lot of time playing on the X-Band SNES modem back then and there were some legendary matches. There is a lot of depth to that particular Mortal Kombat game.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

J T wrote:
SplashChick wrote:I'd say it holds up to SFII, but that's as good as it gets. SFII recieved many new versions with lots of improvements, and MKII didn't. The original SFII had a lot of issues like MKII does, but they were fixed in later versions, whereas MKII simply got a much improved sequel. SFIIT and all the versions afterwards are definitely better than MKII.

Actually, MKII was updated over time as well, it just wasn't always clear to the players. Street Fighter II gave a new name to each iteration. MKII just upgraded versions of the arcade machine innards. You wouldn't know unless you paid attention to the version numbers. I remember when they first introduced Babalities, which had not been in the game before. People went crazy when you performed it on them because they thought they knew everything about MKII and totally didn't see it coming. There was also a glitch where you could do some moves after the babality. I used to love the reactions I would get from people that hadn't played the upgraded MKII yet in the arcade and I would do a babality on them, break my character free, then upper cut the baby into a bloody splatter. That shit was fucked up! (this glitch (feature?) was later removed amidst the growing Mortal Kombat controversy)

You are dead on about the difference between MKII and UMK3. I still personally like MKII better, but it is admittedly because it is a simpler game for me to return to after not having played in a long time. There was a period where I had really nailed down how to play well with Kabal and Cyrax in UMK3 though, and at that point in time I would have said UMK3 was the better game. The run button was a game changer. Once you mastered the possibilities with running combos, you were no longer sitting at the kid's table. I spent a lot of time playing on the X-Band SNES modem back then and there were some legendary matches. There is a lot of depth to that particular Mortal Kombat game.

Well yes, but that isn't what I mean. The new versions of SFII were pretty much new games, the updates to MKII were mostly just bug fixes.

Interesting fact you might like to know: The babality trick exists in UMK3. Enter the infinite run code(446-446) at the beginning of a match using Reptile and any other character. Beat reptile up the first round, and knock him down to 1 hit in the second round, making sure you don't block so you can do a babality. Have Reptile back ALL THE WAY into a corner, and have the other player stand at full screen away. Then, have reptile throw a slow forceball and run forward, while the other player continuously jumps back. Reptile should easily run under the jumping player, at which point that player should run to follow him. When you reach the other corner, have the other player hit reptile and perform a babality. If performed right, Reptile will be turned into a baby, and then the other player will be hit by the forceball, knocking them back into control. Feel free to use whatever moves you like on the baby. Personally, I recommend uppercutting it through a breakable ceiling. I laughed so hard the first time I saw this I cried.

Cyrax has been my main for years now, he's by far my favorite character. I wish I could have seen the look on Sevin0Seven's face when I landed that 100% combo on him. :lol:
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Well, thanks to you guys and a need to rant about something I finally started my own blog. You can see it here: http://tortuousgoddess.tumblr.com/