Brawlers and Beatemups
neilencio
64-bit

Silly-looking characters

by neilencio Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:07 am

It's common knowledge that characters in fighting games tend to lean towards the silly side of things. But most of the time they get a pass because they fit in well within the context set by their respective games. The KoF roster is replete with silly costumes, but within the KoF universe, they still sort of make sense.

There are also those that were meant to look goofy, whose awkward costumes can be explained within the context of the game's story, like Sakura and Rufus from SF. But there are characters that look really silly to me regardless of the gameworld they're set in:

1. Maxi from Soulcalibur - The hair is goofy enough, but his white costume totally kills his look further. I'm having trouble taking him seriously, is he meant to be Bruce Lee cosplaying as Elvis?

2. Yoshimitsu from Tekken and SoulCalibur - I can't quite put it, be he just looks really off to me. Even more so in Tekken, where he is holding a laser sword but his fighting style still looks hand-to-hand.

3. Raiden from Mortal Kombat, particularly the first iterations - I blame this more on the awkward digitized graphics, as it has a way of emphasizing the campiness of the costumes, but the straw hat really throws me off. Kung Lao at least has a use for his hat as a weapon.

4. Not really considered silly character design but some of the pallete swaps in Capcom's Marvel VS series are awful. Did they just pick random colors there? Pink and Purple, Light Green and Blue, and other color combinations that either look dead or don't blend well at all.

How about you guys, ever looked at a fighting game character and thought "man, this looks silly"?
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
Droid party
Next-Gen

Re: Silly-looking characters

by Droid party Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:52 am

Anything from Ballz 3d.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:04 am

the game Street Combat for super nintendo

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ranma/ranma2.htm heres a comparison shot compared to the orignal game based on Ranma 1/2

Dont know what they were smoking when they changed the anime characters into whatever they are now!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

by Weekend_Warrior Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:22 am

neilencio wrote:I3. Raiden from Mortal Kombat, particularly the first iterations - I blame this more on the awkward digitized graphics, as it has a way of emphasizing the campiness of the costumes, but the straw hat really throws me off. Kung Lao at least has a use for his hat as a weapon.
If you've ever seen the 80's action flick "Big Trouble In Little China" then you would know where the creators of MK got the idea for the Raiden character, and then you might appreciate him more.

If you want a silly MK character... how about Bo Rai Cho? I mean, he's a big fat dude who farts and pukes on people. I don't think it gets any more ridiculous than that.
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:35 am

Droid party wrote:Anything from Ballz 3d.

:lol: Can't there be anything Fighting-game related that doesn't mention this bundle of awesomeness??

As for the thread's topic - Kusaregedo from Samurai Shodown!

I mean c'mon - his name actually means "Rotten Bastard"!
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:02 am

Pretty much every character from the Power Instinct series looks completely ridiculous.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:22 am

lisalover1 wrote:Pretty much every character from the Power Instinct series looks completely ridiculous.

Is that a Power Stone and Killer Instinct cross over game?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:02 am

ZeroAX wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:Pretty much every character from the Power Instinct series looks completely ridiculous.

Only in your dreams. :lol: It's Atlus' little-known fighting series, and it's a weird one. The first game was on the SNES and Genesis, the second was on the PS1, the third was arcade-exclusive, the 4th was on the Saturn, and out of nowhere, they decided the 5th should be a Neo-Geo exclusive. The fifth game was on the PS2, and the next one is supposed to be exclusive to the 360. I don;t really care for the series, I just wanted to show you an example of how weird it can be. And then there's this guy:
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:20 am

ZeroAX wrote:

It's a series that's older than both of them.
d123456
Next-Gen

by d123456 Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:40 am

g-done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-wnC74Rylo
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sunsof ... ghters.htm
looks silly and out of place and I want to slap the artist that drew him.
he play like crap too.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Return to Fighters