Which 2D Fighters had the most insane bosses?

Brawlers and Beatemups
Ack

Post by Ack »

Resurrecting this thread after the trouncing I got last night in King of Fighters XI. I'll admit, not having spent much time with the series, I'm not very good at KOF games. But I've been playing a little and slowly getting better, so I try to do a run through of arcade mode. Every so many fights I lose, which I don't get too upset about. After all, I'm still trying to figure out what characters to use. I get to the first of the two bosses, Shion, and she beats me down a few times in some pretty close matches before I finally win. I was actually feeling pretty good about myself, having finally overcome her.

And then I had to fight Magaki, and it just all went to Hell right there. This video sums it up pretty well, only I'm not as good as the player.

Anyway, after an hour of him stomping me like a little girl, I finally beat him. At one point, he had more projectiles on screen than some shooters I've played. If a boss is gonna fight me, I've got no problem if he actually fights with his hands, but this is just unfair. Factor in that his moves negate my projectiles, but I don't negate his, he pulls these things off at will and can hit anywhere on screen at any time, and those pink explosions repel all special attacks, and you have a recipe for disaster.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

holy cow.
that's crazy.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, I actually don't want to play through arcade because I know I'll have to fight him to unlock anything. It's actually pissing me off a good bit.
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

I always thought Geonitz from King of Fighters 96 was a real cheap bitch. He keeps snapping his fingers creating lightning and it's hard for you to come near him, and then if you DO make it past the lightning, he does a kick with a tornado and it messes up your jump or dash.

Bastard. Never liked him. Also the last guy on Rage of the Dragons for the NeoGeo was a cheap prick too.
RackGaki
128-bit

Post by RackGaki »

Zork wrote:Pretty much any SNK fighting game has ridiculous bosses.

x2
Lo0kY
64-bit

Re: Which 2D Fighters had the most insane bosses?

Post by Lo0kY »

Princess Sissy from Matrimelee = Hands down

They don't call it SNK-Syndrome for nothing lol
Ack

Post by Ack »

The boss from Super Robot Spirits is pretty tough..honestly, she wouldn't be so bad, except she has several moves that she's invincible when she pulls off. I can't stand a game where someone can block by attacking, it's not realistic, and it's not fair. I think it tends towards a cheap way to make up for poorly designed characters or AI. Her only other problem? She's got air superiority. Outside of avoiding her super moves, there's no reason to go in the air when fighting her. It's not such a bad thing, but it feels like it limits the game a good bit, considering that's one of the major planes to fight on...

Also, anybody know how to block in this game? The game's in Japanese, I have no instruction manual, and the two guides I've seen online say you can, but don't say how.
Drakon
64-bit

Post by Drakon »

racketboy wrote:What bosses are the hardest at the end of single-player modes on fighting games?
I know there have been a lot I haven't been able to get past.

I think I remember Onslaught in Marvel vs Capcom being a major pain
Also Gil and Urien were near-impossible in SF3:TS

I can't remember specifics, but I think a lot of the SNK fighters had tough boss battles.

Can anybody else remember some toughies?

urien I don't find hard. Gill is another story. I frequently go to the arcade. Put in my 50 cents. Play all the way up to gill without losing. And then get my @ss handed to me. I guess they wanted something to suck your quarters away.

I also picked up king of fighters 11 for ps2 and the final boss in that game is the ultimate screw you technology

And then there's samurai showdown 4. I love that game to bits. But always when I reach the 6th battle or so the game engages some sort of "you're not getting any farther!!!!" mode
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

Older games are better
IcKy99
Next-Gen

Post by IcKy99 »

I always get my ass kicked by the boss from Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on DC :oops:
Japhei
64-bit

Post by Japhei »

Omega Rugal in King Of Fighters 2002, Shin Akuma in Capcom vs Snk 2 , Gill in Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike and Johann in Rage of the Dragons are my picks!
Meet me online
Xbox Live:
Japheigod (USA),
Trigger Runner (Japan)
PSN: Japhei
Only a couple more shots!!!!