Next-Gen

Re: Your top 5 favorite fighting games?

Post by ninjainspandex »

Luke wrote:
cha cha wrote:
Luke wrote:1. Street Fighter II snes
2. Soul Calibur Dreamcast
3. Tekken Tag Tournament

Everything else pales in comparison for me.

You liked vanilla SF2 over Championship Edition, Turbo and SSF2? Interesting!

@ SC1 for DC- thumbs up soldier! What character(s) do you fancy?

To put this in perspective, I played Street Fighter II as soon as it came out...and not in arcade, rather in a Kroger Grocery Store. My friends and I would flock to that Kroger, which was open 24 hours, weekly to play that cab. When the snes game dropped, we went nuts.

Had to beat the game on level 7 without losing a battle. Had to beat any and everyone who claimed to be good at the game. My friends from middle school and I still have fierce SFII matches when they visit. We enjoy the slower pace, which gives us extra time to talk smack and plan strategies.

I'm Mr.Random on Soul Calibur. If I had to pick favorite, it would likely be Siegfried or Cervantes. Graduating twice from ECU, a purple and gold pirate is a character that can't be turned down.

I agree with Luke my biggest problem with the street fighter 2 series is that Capcom seemed to take a really lazy approach to speed the game up, instead of reprogramming the animations they simply just sped the game up. Once you get to super turbo the animations just look silly as they are breathing like 5 times a second. It just looks like someone pressed the fast forward button on the vcr. Hell even the music is sped up. Seems like Capcom has continued the tradition of cheaply nickle and diming the Street Fighter series.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

ninjainspandex wrote:my biggest problem with the street fighter 2 series is that Capcom seemed to take a really lazy approach to speed the game up, instead of reprogramming the animations they simply just sped the game up. Once you get to super turbo the animations just look silly as they are breathing like 5 times a second. It just looks like someone pressed the fast forward button on the vcr. Hell even the music is sped up. Seems like Capcom has continued the tradition of cheaply nickle and diming the Street Fighter series.

Its not Capcom's fault if the character animations are sped up in ST. Its left up to the player to decide at what turbo speed they wish to play the game (this applies to even arcade release!). And the game WAS redrawn by the time Super II came out. Its why the game runs on more powerful arcade hardware hardware! Music sped up!? Nope! It only applies when fighters reach near KO. Music sped up in console cart versions. Arcade version has a unique music that cuts in and loops until KO is reached. Oh is that so!? Looking at other parts of the series (SF3, Alpha, and even SF4), these games don't take the similar approach of speeding up the game with every update. Speed with each game stays relatively the same :lol:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

My top five would be:
1. Xmen Children of the Atom
2. Soul Calibur II
3. Powerstone 2
4. Super Smash Brothers
5. Tatsunoko Vs Capcom

Rest of the top 10:
6. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
7. Street Fighter Alpha 3
8. Marvel vs Capcom
9. Virtua Fighter 2
10. Samurai Shodown 2

While my top 5 may seem more like party games than strict fighting games, those are my favorite five. So if I chose to sit down and play a fighter those are likely the ones I will play. If I want to play a more serious match I will play one of the bottom five (or SCII). You may notice a lack of some of the big name franchises like King of Fighters and Tekken. While I enjoy the character designs and watching others play, I have never been trained how to play those games. And for the life of me I cannot wrap around how to play a King of Fighters game correctly.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

fastbilly1 wrote:And for the life of me I cannot wrap around how to play a King of Fighters game correctly.

Pick up KoF XI and play through the challenges. Completing them - which is quite difficult - not only unlocks playable characters, but it teaches you some of the series' mechanics.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:And for the life of me I cannot wrap around how to play a King of Fighters game correctly.

Pick up KoF XI and play through the challenges. Completing them - which is quite difficult - not only unlocks playable characters, but it teaches you some of the series' mechanics.

Does this exist in KoF XIII aswell? The game has been on my Steam want list for several months.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

fastbilly1 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Does this exist in KoF XIII aswell? The game has been on my Steam want list for several months.

I couldn't tell you. KoF XIII is on my want list too. :lol:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I couldn't tell you. KoF XIII is on my want list too. :lol:

According to the Steam page:
Steam wrote:・MISSION:
Tackle three different kinds of missions in this mode, and improve your skills!
- “TIME ATTACK”: Defeat all CPU opponents in the shortest time you can.
- “SURVIVAL”: Select a character and fight your way through as many CPU opponents as you can.
- “TRIAL”: In this mode, each character has 10 tasks, which mainly focus on combos. By the time you complete all 10 tasks, you will have mastered some combos for that character.

・TUTORIAL:
Rose Bernstein, hostess of the tournament, will teach you the basic techniques as well as explain the gauges and their uses. First time KOF players should start here to get used to the game.

Looks like Tutorial followed by Trial is in my future. Next time it goes on sale on Steam.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

The tutorial mode in KoF13 is great (both game basics and character specifics)! But be warned- it is very execution demanding for a lot of characters. But if you hang tough and bypass those executional barriers, I think you will truly feel rewarded and have fun doing it.

Definitely pick it up on sale, the game is great and 13 won't make you feel bad for missing all the previous versions.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

cha cha wrote:Definitely pick it up on sale, the game is great and 13 won't make you feel bad for missing all the previous versions.

Thanks for the heads up cha cha. Its not that I missed the previous ones (I own 95-98 on Saturn and 98 on the MVS), but the series has never been big with my friends so I never really learned to play them. Sure I can button mash through a match, but that is only fun for so long (about a match).
SirGawain
64-bit

Post by SirGawain »

5. Evil Zone
4. Marvel vs Capcom
3. PowerStone
2. Bushido Blade
1. Soulcalibur IV

Close contenders are, in no particular order,

Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Bloody Roar