Your top 5 favorite fighting games?

Brawlers and Beatemups
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Your top 5 favorite fighting games?

Post by samsonlonghair »

cha cha wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:In no particular order:

-Soul series--Soul Calibur II for GCN is my favorite version

-

Is this the part where you tell us it's your fave version cuz Link is in it :P ?

Do I need to say what's already obvious? The mechanics of SoulCalibur haven't changed much since Dreamcast days. Your favorite Soul Calibur game is going to be the one with your favorite go-to character. If you love Darth Vader, your favorite is going to be Soul Calibur IV for PS3. If you love Spawn, your favorite is going to be Soul Calibur II for XBOX. If you love Kratos, your favorite is Soul Calibur broken destiny. Aside from the character roster, not much changes in Soul Calibur.

The GC controller was an abomination for FGs btw, I dunno how you mofos ever played on that shit.

It's bad for most fighting games, but the GCN controller rocks for SoulCalibur II. Frankly, the PS2 controller isn't very good for fighting games any way. The PlayStation controller is the Jack of All trades but master of none.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

samsonlonghair wrote:
cha cha wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:In no particular order:

-Soul series--Soul Calibur II for GCN is my favorite version

-

Is this the part where you tell us it's your fave version cuz Link is in it :P ?

Do I need to say what's already obvious? The mechanics of SoulCalibur haven't changed much since Dreamcast days. Your favorite Soul Calibur game is going to be the one with your favorite go-to character. If you love Darth Vader, your favorite is going to be Soul Calibur IV for PS3. If you love Spawn, your favorite is going to be Soul Calibur II for XBOX. If you love Kratos, your favorite is Soul Calibur broken destiny. Aside from the character roster, not much changes in Soul Calibur.

The GC controller was an abomination for FGs btw, I dunno how you mofos ever played on that shit.

It's bad for most fighting games, but the GCN controller rocks for SoulCalibur II. Frankly, the PS2 controller isn't very good for fighting games any way. The PlayStation controller is the Jack of All trades but master of none.

@ SC never changes: Aside from console guest characters. Well, I mean, they change a LOT from character move lists, engine mechanics, gameplay additions and frame data... But in terms of the surface-level "core" gameplay, sure, on the surface they remain faithful to previous versions and emphasize familiarity and ease of picking up and playing. Aside from SCV, the changes have never been so drastic that people are put off by them.
But man, they change a lot on the competitive side of the game.

@ PS2 controller being bad for fighters: I think you will find yourself in minority on that opinion sir. I would say... There is a reason they still make PS2 converters for next gen systems and also a reason why they never bothered to make GC converters for other systems...

However, we can both easily agree on loving SC2. Man it was a great game! :mrgreen:
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

samsonlonghair wrote:

I agree with this. I have all three versions of the game, and I very much preferred the GC controller for SCII. Switching to a PS2 controller for SCIII was quite a shock for me actually.

In retrospect, I think the GC controller works well for: (1) first-party GC games; and (2) SCII. I dislike it for almost every other type of game, and I will happily concede that it is awful for 2D fighters.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Switching to a PS2 controller for SCIII was quite a shock for me actually...

Did you suffer from...... Dual Shock?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote: Switching to a PS2 controller for SCIII was quite a shock for me actually...

Did you suffer from...... Dual Shock?

YYYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!! 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On topic, my non-controversial picks remain:

1. Street Fighter II Turbo
2. Soul Calibur
3. Mortal Kombat II
4. The King of Fighters XI
5. Street Fighter Alpha 2

I give non-controversial, honorable mentions to: Marvel vs. Capcom 2; Samurai Shodown 2; Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike; and Street Fighter Alpha 3. I also note that I really need to play fighters again since, I have heard, some good ones have been released in recent years.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

1. Street Fighter II snes
2. Soul Calibur Dreamcast
3. Tekken Tag Tournament

Everything else pales in comparison for me.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

Luke wrote:1. Street Fighter II snes
2. Soul Calibur Dreamcast
3. Tekken Tag Tournament

Everything else pales in comparison for me.

You liked vanilla SF2 over Championship Edition, Turbo and SSF2? Interesting!

@ SC1 for DC- thumbs up soldier! What character(s) do you fancy?
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Astaroth has been - and always will be - my main man.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

For me it's always been Lizardman(Aeon) 1a and Xianghua 1b. Honorable mentions to Maxi, Rock, Sophitia, Sueng Mina and Taki though, I played them all a ton (and their clones)... hell, let's just say I played the crap out of every SC since SE/B.

Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
cha cha wrote:Is this the part where you tell us it's your fave version cuz Link is in it :P ?

It is my favorite version because Spawn is not in it. :lol:

I can fully support this.

That said, I stopped playing the SC series after the issues with SCIII and memory card corruption. Lose a lot of character data that you spent way too much time trying to get, and I tell you, the soul still burns only to kick some QA guy at Namco's ass.

Anyway, I have not made a list for this thread, namely because at this point many of the best fighters have been named, and because I just posted a troll entry in the Top 5 RPG thread. So instead, I'll just post a list of five fighters I happen to like.

Cyberbots
World Heroes
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition
Gundam Battle Assault
Metamoqester