Best console to own Street Fighters on?

Brawlers and Beatemups
Zork
32-bit

Best console to own Street Fighters on?

Post by Zork »

Here is an honest question that I've never really gotten a straight answer for. (Maybe just because there is no real straight answer but oh well it's fun!) What is the best console to own certain SF games for? This goes beyond stuff like graphics, speed, various game mechanic crap as well. I'm talking about taking other certain things into consideration such as the available controllers for example, without having to buy some type of converter. I would also like to state that while I'm a huge SF dork a lot of my friends and family members aren't so much and or are a tad more casual, so also take into consideration their opinion.

I'm only trying to get the optimium SF experience for me and my own. Here are the games I'm asking about.

Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter II (whatever the last version was called)
Street Fighter III: Third Strike

On a side note I own the PS2 compilations, but I've heard they weren't as great as certain other versions. My opinion was that they were good but I'm also a collector. I will say that I used to own SFA2 for Saturn and thought it was top notch until the day my disc died.
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?lid=100018
^ My collection.

Please comment on Reviews in the Review Boards, it makes people feel like they didn't completely waste their time :)
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

Hmm I thought the PS2 conversions were pretty good I regularly used to play Mame versions until I bought the PS2 Street Fighter Alpha anthology.

I also have Street fighter Anniversary Collection and Hyper fighting is as good as the Xbox version I had both but I sold the xbox version because I didn't want two copies of the same game.

I remember I had Streetfighter 3rd strike on the Dreamcast and at the time it was considered the best conversion but from what I have read the PS2 and Xbox conversions are better because they retain the original arcade timing and resolution
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

I have yet to check the PS2 Alpha collection, but before that, the saturn version was considered the best version of SF3, but I figure the PS2 versions of the other games will at least give you unnoticeable load times.

The Super Street Fighter II Turbo for Matching service for the DC is supposed to be an arcade perfect version and can be played entirely in english via a dip switch mode

The DC version of third strike is good, but as msimplay said, the PS2 and Xbox versions are more true to the arcade, however, the XBOX version menus are just like the DC's to the point that it won't let you map all the buttons, only 6 and the PS2 version takes advantage of all the PS2 buttons
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

Modded Xbox + joystick/comfortable controller.

You can use FBA-XXX to emulate all of those games listed except SF3, and SFIII is ported as a normal xbox game. It's nice that you just play everything off the harddrive too.
Espio 1919
24-bit

Post by Espio 1919 »

mmm...If there was some way to combine the Saturn and Dreamcast into a single system then that would be the best thing to own Street Fighters on. I would go with Saturn though if you have a big budget for games.

Highlights:
Street Fighter Alpha 1+2
Street Fighter Zero 3
X-Men v. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes v. Street Fighter
SF collection (has Alpha 2 Gold and Super Turbo)

Missing:
Marvel vs. Capcom games
Street Fighter III games
Retromaster

Post by Retromaster »

Sega Genesis.

That's about the only home console I've played it on.
http://www.freewebs.com/retronights
Your life will be meaningless without my sites.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Best Alphas and SF2s are MAME on the PC. Seriously, the Saturn versions have crappy sound and video output options, but the DC has such an awful controller and an adapter still doesn't fill the need for a taunt button. The best console versions are Alpha Collection for PS2 and SF3 3rd for Xbox. Both have some decent controllers and 480p video modes.

If you have a native 480i CRT TV then I would definately play Hyper SSF2T, SFIII:3S, and Alpha Collection on the PS2 with the SEGA/Capcom Saturn controller or an arcade controller for PS2.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

you can taunt with LK + Start :P
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Saturn or CPS2, even though I am fond of the Godzilla fighting game on the SNES that used the SFII engine. Good old Godzilla: Kaijuu Daikessen
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

neohx_7 wrote:Best Alphas and SF2s are MAME on the PC. Seriously, the Saturn versions have crappy sound and video output options, but the DC has such an awful controller and an adapter still doesn't fill the need for a taunt button. The best console versions are Alpha Collection for PS2 and SF3 3rd for Xbox. Both have some decent controllers and 480p video modes.

If you have a native 480i CRT TV then I would definately play Hyper SSF2T, SFIII:3S, and Alpha Collection on the PS2 with the SEGA/Capcom Saturn controller or an arcade controller for PS2.

Arcade Emulation is not a practical option for me at all. I've tried it before and hated it.
http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?lid=100018
^ My collection.

Please comment on Reviews in the Review Boards, it makes people feel like they didn't completely waste their time :)