What's your favorite fighter of this generation?

Brawlers and Beatemups

What's your favorite fighter of this generation?

Super Street Fighter 4
26%
Tatsunoku Vs Capcom
21%
KOF 12
9%
Blazblue
12%
Tekken 6
12%
Soul Caliber 4
6%
Battle Fantasia
No votes
Samurai Showdown Sen
No votes
Virtua Fighter 5
12%
Other
3%

Total votes: 34

SplashChick
64-bit

Re: What's your favorite fighter of this generation?

Post by SplashChick »

I really liked BlazBlue, Tekken 6, and Battle Fantasia, but I have to go with Virtua Fighter 5. That game is just fantastic.

KoFXII was pretty good but it's very unfinished.

SSFIV is just ass. I got sick of that rather fast.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

My vote goes to Super Street Fighter IV, since the game is so obviously refined and brilliant, but honorable mentions go out to both Arcana Heart and Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2 and Melty Blood Actress Again, all for the PS2.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I liked BlazBlue because it feels like it rewards more aggresive play. SF4 at times felt like it rewards defensive play too much, and I cannot play defensively.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

MrPopo wrote:I liked BlazBlue because it feels like it rewards more aggresive play. SF4 at times felt like it rewards defensive play too much, and I cannot play defensively.

SFIV's idea of aggressive play is walking behind sonic booms and mashing on the jab button after crouch blocking.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
bobbynewmarkiii
128-bit

Post by bobbynewmarkiii »

I can understand votes for SSFIV - I find it infinitely more dynamic than SFIV, but for variety of playstyles, rewarding aggression, and overall game experience, TvC gets my vote. Honorable mention for BlazBlue, but it was just too much hard work to get to grips with. 3D fighters suck ass.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

Just out of curiousty why did you not include Super Smash Bros. Brawl and DOA 4? Those were popular major releases. Since no one voted for Samurai Shodown and Battle Fantasia its not to late to change them.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

pepharytheworm wrote:Just out of curiousty why did you not include Super Smash Bros. Brawl and DOA 4? Those were popular major releases. Since no one voted for Samurai Shodown and Battle Fantasia its not to late to change them.

Because Brawl is also garbage.

EDIT: Who am I kidding, so is DOA.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

SplashChick wrote:
pepharytheworm wrote:Just out of curiousty why did you not include Super Smash Bros. Brawl and DOA 4? Those were popular major releases. Since no one voted for Samurai Shodown and Battle Fantasia its not to late to change them.

Don't worry guys, he's just a troll. It won't be long before he disappears again.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Niode wrote:
SplashChick wrote:

Don't worry guys, he's just a troll. It won't be long before he disappears again.

No, I'm just a fighting game enthusiast with taste. Brawl and DOA may be good if you like to mash buttons over a few beers, but both are intensely shallow and Brawl is beyond broken at a competitive level.
Ack

Post by Ack »

SplashChick wrote:
Niode wrote:
SplashChick wrote:Because Brawl is also garbage.

No, I'm just a fighting game enthusiast with taste. Brawl and DOA may be good if you like to mash buttons over a few beers, but both are intensely shallow and Brawl is beyond broken at a competitive level.

You still come across as having an attitude problem.

That said, I haven't played Brawl enough to judge either way, but I agree that DOA is pretty shallow. The counter system is entertaining to watch, but has always been too powerful and too easy to pull off in my opinion. I spent a lot of time with DOA2 unlocking costumes, and by the end of it I was perfecting fight after fight by simply countering everything my opponents threw at me. It got really dull really quick.