Capcom vs. SNK 1 or 2 (Dreamcast)

Brawlers and Beatemups
Genesis Knight
32-bit

Capcom vs. SNK 1 or 2 (Dreamcast)

Post by Genesis Knight »

As you all probably know, the first CvSNK game came out in the USA on the Dreamcast but the second did not. That's fine, but the thing is I only have a USA Dreamcast, so I'd need to either mod my system or get a boot disc to run Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Disregarding burning a copy of the game or buying the Xbox/PS2/GCN ports (I'm not interested in those systems right now), is the Capcom vs. SNK 2 sufficiently different/better than the first game to make it worth hassling with the region lockout? Or is CvSNK1 good enough, as it were?

I've only ever played the first game. Thanks, guys!
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Capcom vs. SNK 1 or 2 (Dreamcast)

Post by flojocabron »

I own Capcom vs Snk 2 for the PS2 and I have it burned for the dreamcast.

Both games are pretty much the same except for controls, thats if you use the standard controlers for each of them. Are you used to playstation or dreamcast control scheme? You could just use an arcade stick?

They also have the original names for the characters. Balrog, Vega, and M. Bision are with their original persons. And Akuma is known as Gokui.

Playwise 2 has some major differences over 1. In 1 you cant controll how much a characters level is. They are either one two or three. In part 2 you can choose how strong to make a character. If you think you're good enough you can just choose one character and make him a level 4.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Genesis Knight
32-bit

Post by Genesis Knight »

I use a Sega Saturn adapter for my Dreamcast. Huh, so no extra characters or better graphics or anything? Sounds like they're pretty much identical!
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Genesis Knight wrote:I use a Sega Saturn adapter for my Dreamcast. Huh, so no extra characters or better graphics or anything? Sounds like they're pretty much identical!

CvS2 has several new characters and a snazzy presentation to boot actually.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

AppleQueso wrote:
Genesis Knight wrote:I use a Sega Saturn adapter for my Dreamcast. Huh, so no extra characters or better graphics or anything? Sounds like they're pretty much identical!

I think he wants to know the difference between DC and PS2 versions of Capcom vs SNK 2.

Part 2 definitely has more characters to choose than 1.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

flojocabron wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

I think he wants to know the difference between DC and PS2 versions of Capcom vs SNK 2.

Seems to be pretty clearly asking about the differences between 1 and 2. He even outright says he's not interested in the Xbox/Ps2/GC ports of CvS2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

playing imports on DC is so simple. Either burn a bootdisc or just buy this: http://www.estarland.com/SegaDreamcast. ... 14462.html
Genesis Knight
32-bit

Post by Genesis Knight »

Yeah, I was was asking about the differences between the games just on the Dreamcast, not PS2 or other consoles.

And yeah, boot discs are simple but disc swapping is a pain. Still, if CvSNK2 has more characters I'll definitely go for that one. Thanks guys.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

I never had to use a boot disc to play my copy of SvC2 on my unmodded DC.. If you root around on the interwebs, you should be able to find a self-bootable copy of the backup!

No modding, no boot disc. That's how I did it..
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

BIG Differerence between 1 and 2 in so many ways! Aesthetically CVS1 has Hi-res pre rendered back drops complete with SNK like intros for each (real cool stuff) CVS2 went with 3D polygon backdrops and ditch the SNK like presentation. Roster wise the first one has 30plus character where as the sequel offers a dozen more fighters from each side for a total of 40 plus. The biggest most major change lies in the games mechanics and fighting engine. CVS controls on a 4 button scheme where as the sequel ditch it for a more traditional 6 button control scheme that street fighter fans are acustomed to. They upped the ante regarding the orginals groove selection system from 2 (SNK, Cap grooves) to an astonishing 6 (3 grooves representing both SNK and Cap previous efforts in fighting games) last but not least, due to fan clamour, CVS1's fixed ration system was dropped for a more versatile "Free ration system" providing players more freedom to assemble their team to their liking. Personally speaking, I love both titles. I say get both :) CVS has an incredible presentation and wonderful asthetics with super simple gameplay that can be picked up rather quickly. The sequel lacks the wonderful presentation of the first game but has a more technical gameplay that resembles capcom fighting titles.